PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro 4 core vs 8 core

virtualcomposer
10-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Just wondering if there's a huge speed boost from the 4 core to 8 core Mac Pros. From what my research has shown me, there's just a small jump in speed so when I'm ready to buy a Mac Pro (prob used), then I'll be getting a 4 if this is the case. I just want to invest in something that will really render out stuff fast. My Macbook Pro i5 is fast but still doesn't compare to the newer Mac Pros. Let me know what you think.

JeffrySG
10-25-2010, 01:37 PM
You might want to head on over to http://www.barefeats.com/ and see if you can find speed comparisons between the two systems.

virtualcomposer
10-25-2010, 01:54 PM
You might want to head on over to http://www.barefeats.com/ and see if you can find speed comparisons between the two systems.

Hey GREAT site!! I might just end up going with an IMac 2.93 27". It beats buying an expensive Mac Pro with two expensive screens. The render time isn't that much of a difference for the money.

XswampyX
10-25-2010, 02:22 PM
I don't know anything about macs but I am looking into getting a new computer before christmas.

Found this :- http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3177/intel_core_i7_980x_32nm_lga_1366_six_core_cpu/index8.html

As we mentioned above, we have changed how we do things with LightWave. I used to be a huge fan of the Classic Camera and its multi-pass rendering. However, after a discussion with a few animators and Newtek I was informed that Classic Cameras are not that great in terms of threading efficiency.

This has prompted TweakTown to move to Newtek’s newer perspective camera mode. This can get up to 100% CPU usage and also uses both ray tracing and a newer AA mode that is much more efficient. To give you an idea, we have included times for the old 7-pass PLD rendering using classic cameras and the newer perspective cameras both rendering a 4k (4096 x 3072) frame. The difference, as you can see, is impressive.

G-Man
10-28-2010, 08:40 PM
I have the new Quad Core i7 iMac 27" and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

Amazing display, Quiet, Compact, and is VERY fast. Just as fast as an 8 Core Mac Pro.

I have Bootcamp installed and run Windoze 7 Pro on it because I prefer Lightwave on Windows due to plugin availability, performance etc.

But I use the Mac side as well for Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Cinema4D etc. I prefer to do graphic design, Typography etc. on the Mac side.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

cresshead
10-28-2010, 08:48 PM
here's what i'm waiting for...
iMac 27" with nvidia graphics chip and one of those 6 core cpu's!

virtualcomposer
10-28-2010, 09:37 PM
here's what i'm waiting for...
iMac 27" with nvidia graphics chip and one of those 6 core cpu's!

That will probably be in the next Keynote speech. By the time I can afford this, they will be out by then. LOL I think at this point, you can get away with something like the fastest IMac and be able to render professional projects in a timely manner. It beats having to buy a heavy tower, two screens and costly adaptors. I'm all about economical at this point. The only thing that matters is getting the product out on time and making the clients happy. If you can do that with an IMac, then so be it. :thumbsup:

wesleycorgi
10-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Virtualcomposer, I am in the market for a 17" MBPro i7. I see you have the i5. How are you finding the battery life and general portability? I have a 4 yr old 15" MBPro and am deciding between the 15 and 17. I was told that the 17 produces a bit more heat and can be a drag to lug around.

virtualcomposer
10-29-2010, 01:15 AM
Virtualcomposer, I am in the market for a 17" MBPro i7. I see you have the i5. How are you finding the battery life and general portability? I have a 4 yr old 15" MBPro and am deciding between the 15 and 17. I was told that the 17 produces a bit more heat and can be a drag to lug around.

Hey Wesley, the battery life is incredible. I can work in Photoshop while streaming music from Itunes radio and have the internet up and keep a battery life of around 4-5 hours without a charge. I do it all the time at the coffee shop. The portability is great as well. It's light and thin. I'm not so sure about the I7 but from my research, there wasn't a whole lot of difference in the I7 vs I5. It's the RAM from what I was told. I definately recomend it. I can also run extensive programs all at once like Digital Performer with 4-7 heavy processor synths and virtual instruments while having Lightwave, Photoshop and After Effects open at the same time. Of course with this, it slows down but for a laptop to still function well with all of this open, it's amazing!

It also doesn't get very hot at all. The only time the fans will start to run harder is when I'm doing a heavy 3D render or After Effects export of many layers and complexities.

wesleycorgi
10-29-2010, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the response. I think I'm gonna go for the 17" over the 15". If I didn't do a lot of my work on the road and on-the-fly, I would be quite tempted by an iMac.

I'm going through the refurb route from the online Apple Store. With the money i save, I'll purchase Apple Care. My local Apple Store Bus Dev person said this is the smartest thing to do. He told me a lot of the refurbs are simply returned items with no problems, but they can't sell as new.

Also he gave me a tip. Right after Apple makes a speed bump upgrade (the kind where they really don't announce it, but where they increase processor speed, etc.), they usually have a handful of the previous model. At their discretion, the Bus Dev folks can offer you the previous model at a discount, even though the product gets yanked from the retail shelf so that the regular consumer can only purchase the newest model. My company purchases dozens of iPads, so I talk quite a bit with the local Bus Dev team.

For example, he told me to hold off buying the MBPro until after the Apple Event last week. He had heard that there might be upgrades to the MBPro lineup, where he could probably offer me a new laptop of the current model for the cost of refurb. But it was only the Air.

Tesselator
10-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Just wondering if there's a huge speed boost from the 4 core to 8 core Mac Pros. From what my research has shown me, there's just a small jump in speed so when I'm ready to buy a Mac Pro (prob used), then I'll be getting a 4 if this is the case. I just want to invest in something that will really render out stuff fast. My Macbook Pro i5 is fast but still doesn't compare to the newer Mac Pros. Let me know what you think.

If you're talking about LW rendering there is almost exactly a 2x increase from 4 to 8 cores given the same clock speed. For rendering it scales almost perfectly linearly.

If you're talking about LW scene and model editing then it's core speed that makes the most difference and number of cores (above 2) is almost completely irrelevant.

Other contributing factors are buss speeds, RAM type amount and speed, video card speeds, and SSD/HDD speeds.

All things considered if you render a lot on the box in question get as many cores as you can afford! If most of your time on the box in question is spent modeling and scene editing then get the fastest core speed you can afford.

virtualcomposer
10-29-2010, 04:32 PM
If you're talking about LW rendering there is almost exactly a 2x increase from 4 to 8 cores given the same clock speed. For rendering it scales almost perfectly linearly.

If you're talking about LW scene and model editing then it's core speed that makes the most difference and number of cores (above 2) is almost completely irrelevant.

Other contributing factors are buss speeds, RAM type amount and speed, video card speeds, and SSD/HDD speeds.

All things considered if you render a lot on the box in question get as many cores as you can afford! If most of your time on the box in question is spent modeling and scene editing then get the fastest core speed you can afford.

Hey thanks for the info. My big thing is high quality renders. I can stand a hiccup or two with scene editing but I don't like compromising my render with to much time.