PDA

View Full Version : Generally complete studio.

sbrandt
10-25-2010, 11:15 AM
We're looking for a broad range of video studio equipment and fixtures.

Anything from a complete video studio from lighting grid to lights to mixing board to tripods to studio cameras to pieces for a cyclorama or cove or anything.

Please PM me. :help:

sbrandt
10-25-2010, 04:41 PM
We're in the buying mode.
If you have any suitable video studio gear you'd like to sell, let me know!

Thanks!!!

ericsmith
10-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Are you interested in a Canon XL1?

Eric

sbrandt
10-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Eric, thanks for the response!!!

Actually, that's what I'm trying to get away from.
What I'm looking for specifically are 1/2'' and 2/3'' HD cameras or maybe really good SD's.

More like EX3's or PMW350L's or and HPX500.

Or SLR's like a Canon D5 MarkII's.

Dexter2999
10-26-2010, 02:53 PM
The largest site I know of for used gear is http://www.gearsource.com/index.cfm

Good Luck

sbrandt
10-26-2010, 09:15 PM
That's a good one!
Thanks Dexter.

Silkrooster
10-26-2010, 10:06 PM
I believe B&H and Adorama handle used equipment. I haven't tried them, but maybe worth checking out.

sbrandt
10-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Do you guys thing D5 Mark II's would make good studio cameras?
Running through a TriCaster and on for most of the work day?

Any connectivity or overheating issues, anything like that !?!!

Dexter2999
10-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Just my opinion and I am in no way a "camera guy".

The D5/7's are a 1080P camera. They are very forgiving in the lighting area. They are a CMOS sensor but if you are doing studio work that is talking heads you could get by with them. No cars or airplane propellers to make the sensor flip out.

The issue is with a "studio setup" for cameras there is usually zoom/focus on the tripod arms and a little monitor (which I suppose the monitor on the back of the camera could duplicate...just needs some type of hood to keep out glare). But for the camera op. I don't know that there is gear for comfortable control of the camera for extended periods.

I could be wrong. Please check around and see if you find something. I know that the D5 is being used in field production but that is a different kind of beast.

Good Luck.

ericsmith
10-28-2010, 11:28 AM
If you're doing long form stuff, you'll probably be better off with a more "video camera" style setup. the Mark II can do excellent imagery, but there are certain limitations, like the inability to auto-focus while filming. Sensor heat can also be an issue, and I believe takes are limited to 20 minutes.

For what it's worth, I just picked up the Canon HFS 20 for $760 (to replace my XL1). The image quality is surprisingly good for something I would label "consumer", and with a LANC port, I have pretty much all the control I need for the average shoot. You do have to jump through a few hoops when trying to get exacting exposure control, but once you're up and running, it performs quite well.

I know some would never even consider working with this kind of camera when doing professional work, but I've worked with high-end panasonics, sony's, and even a 2/3" Ikagami (although that was a long time ago), and at the end of the day, the picture you get out of those expensive cameras just aren't any different. In my opinion, Canon just really nails it on dynamic range, noise, and color compared to the others.

If I get some time, I'll post a couple of stills.

Eric

ericsmith
10-28-2010, 09:54 PM
So here's a few samples:

http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/samples

The first two were from a biomedical video I just did, and the third was just a quick test in my dining area with my kid. One CF softbox and natural light.

They're downsampled to 1280x720 so they can fit in a browser window.

Eric

sbrandt
10-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Su-weeet
Really sharp !

Guess who looks like Dad !!!

ericsmith
10-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Guess who looks like Dad !!!

Wait. Are you thinking the guy in the top two images is me?

'Cause he's not. He's a hired model. I'm way uglier (and older) than that.

And my kid is adopted, so any similarities to me are purely coincidental. :D

Eric

sbrandt
10-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Sorry 'bout that!
Yeah, when we go to movies and dinner and stuff with the kids, they tell all their friends they're adopted. Go figure.

That's one cute little baby boy though !!!!!

ericsmith
10-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Yeah, he really is. Sometimes to the point of being scary.

Hey, back on the topic of cameras, I think the technological trend we're seeing now is actually very interesting.

It used to be that you paid $50,000 for a betacamSP camera because CCD tech was really cutting edge, and betacam tape mechanisms were aimed at a limited market base, so there wasn't much in the way of mass production. Cameras had to be big and expensive to house the transport mechanism and whatnot.

But now with the mass production of CMOS sensors for digital cameras, as well as flash memory reaching 32 gigs and up, all you need to capture professional quality hi-def video is a good lens, a decent off the shelf sensor, and what is basically nothing more than a pocket-drive.

Log and capture is a thing of the past. Now every take is an individual movie file that you just copy to your hard drive. Interlacing and all the headaches that came with that is slowly becoming an obscure issue. The list of technical issues that video producers had to have intimate knowledge of is shrinking rapidly.

I know I'm oversimplifying, but the fact is, the game has fundimentally changed. And thanks to compact flourescent technology, even lighting equipment is much cheaper, lighter, and doesn't generate any heat.

This project I just did was a real eye-opener. What would have taken twenty to thirty grand worth of equipment and three to four people ten years ago, I accomplished easily by myself with just over a grand worth of equipment, without any compromise in quality.

Eric

sandman300
10-30-2010, 01:17 PM
My boss has some Bogan tripods, Lowel lights and I think some other misc. used gear that he is selling for a school. I'll see if I can get a list from him of exactly what we have on Monday.

sbrandt
10-31-2010, 08:38 PM
SANDMAN

I ABSOLUTELY want to see that list!
Thank You!!!