PDA

View Full Version : My Eagle has dandruff

jimiclaybrooks
10-24-2010, 10:50 AM
I did this eagle, and rendered it ok some time ago. I have two renders here, the one with just the eagle, same lighting setup as the second, which is the scene file. I tried all day Friday and most of yesterday trying to fix this render, with no success. I've never seen anything like this before, and nothing I've tried will get rid of the dandruff. Any ideas as so what this might be? I'm using 9.6 with radiosity. thanks

ivanze
10-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Get the head and shoulders plugin.
Just kidding. How did you make the feathers?
Are you using fiberfx?

jimiclaybrooks
10-24-2010, 04:07 PM
No fibre effects. I used image jpg image maps

Rabbitpenny
10-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Could it be that something got accidently resized, say a bump map.

Very nice eagle by the way.

jimiclaybrooks
10-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks,
I don't think so. If that were true, why would the one render be 100% good and the other one 100% bad? :bangwall: But just out of curiosity, what would change the size of the bump map? (aside from me going in and literally changing a uv map size, which I don't know how to do in the surface editor)

digitaldoc
10-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Did you check for 2 point polys?

jimiclaybrooks
10-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Thats a great idea, no I haven't. I'll do that now and get back to you. :thumbsup:

jimiclaybrooks
10-24-2010, 07:51 PM
I have to admit, seldom if ever do my models have 2 pt polys. They usually show up long before the texturing process. I didn't think that was a problem, but I did chek just to make sure. no 2 pt polys.

digitaldoc
10-24-2010, 08:57 PM
I've had some weirdness recently with the classic camera. Have you tried one of the other cameras?

jimiclaybrooks
10-25-2010, 06:12 AM
No, and that's another good idea. But again, in these two samples, both were rendered with the same camera, so I doubt that its the camera that's the problem. I see a pattern to the dots, like they're on some kind of grid or something. Not so much random spots, but very regularly spaced. Its really strange to me.

Rabbitpenny
10-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Non planar polys (non sub-D construction) would look different at different angles...is that it?

I didn't explain that well. If your feathers are non sub-d and your stats panel id's them as non planar... that would probably be your problem...If so, only choices are to make planar (eg make them triangles) or sub d ( not really a choice cause the feathers would change appearance)

jimiclaybrooks
10-25-2010, 10:14 AM
I just did this render at subd level 2, and as you can see, the dandruff is still there. At this point, I"m gonna try and redo the whole scene, just to see what happens.

jimiclaybrooks
10-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Hey digitaldoc,
looks like I owe you one big time. Since I was so sleepy last night, I forgot to try the other cameras. As it turns out, you called it. The classic camera has issues with this model. When I used the perspective camera, this is what I get. Thanks for your help, and a big thanks to you too Rabbitpenny, your patience is much appreciated.

virtualcomposer
10-25-2010, 01:25 PM
it's amazing how one thing can cause such an issue with the end result. This is why there's forums.:thumbsup:

digitaldoc
10-25-2010, 03:48 PM
beautiful model too!

jimiclaybrooks
10-26-2010, 04:27 AM
Thanks again dude! I was sure it wasn't the model, but as to what it could be, I was clueless. And thanks for the compliment as well. The eagle is one of my best models, considering all the work that went into making it. :thumbsup: