PDA

View Full Version : Rotating a wheel at different speeds

smalltime3d
10-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I know I'm stupid, but it's been a long time since I've used LightWave. I just upgraded from 5 to 9.

I am building a "Wheel of Fortune" type object and wanted to animate its spin similar to Wheel of Fortune in that it goes from slow to fast to gradually slower to stopped.

I thought I remembered this to be done using a Motion Envelope. I have searched everywhere for an example of this without luck.

Is there a simple solution or do I need to dive in on new features? (new to me...)

OnlineRender
10-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Null in centre of object , parent ,use the graph editor , key frame your basic motion , then use ease in /ease out to help reduce the speed .

If I am correct ,the wheel of fortune board has metal pins " I USED to work for Scottish Media and they filmed it there , used to go and see it getting filmed during my break :) " .

the reason the metal pins are important the effectively slow the board down . that and a man standing underneath with a large piece of wood . LOL

smalltime3d
10-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Thank you very much. You are correct about the metal pins (and perhaps the "man behind the curtain"). I figured I would simply simulate the effect of the pins degrading the rotation speed.

I understand there are probably ways to do this with collisions or something like that, but right now that's beyond me.

Thank again.

smalltime3d
10-24-2010, 09:11 AM
I understand the use of NULL objects and have used them before. But I'm curious as to why you would use a NULL object in this example.

BTW, thanks to your help I was able to get the wheel working within a few minutes.

nickdigital
10-24-2010, 11:21 AM
If you model your table at the center in Modeler you don't need to use a null in the center as your pivot will be the center (unless you moved it in Modeler).

I believe using a null is more about organization of your scene.