PDA

View Full Version : New LightWave 10 video

TheDeacon
10-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Check out the new LightWave 10 video: Display Enhancements (http://tv.newtek.com/player.php?recordID=98)

enjoy!

Roadwarrior
10-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks TheDeacon for sharing!
These videos really help the community:thumbsup:

Philbert
10-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Saw this posted on twitter. Looks like a great video. Always good to see a 3DC cameo as well :p.

BigHache
10-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Pretty sweet. That character looks like something from "Wizards".

calilifestyle
10-23-2010, 01:25 AM
Great Video and great to see 3dc in the mix

Eugeny
10-23-2010, 02:41 AM
Can we pleas see some deformations of these high poly objects, from this video and from Lino's siggraph video i can see yes handle of high amount of polys ... But what about bone deformations ? Lino switched display sub d to low then he wanted to repose the character, and this video showing not moving character, yes deformed by bones but not moving ... For me it's much more crucial to handle high poly bone deformations, i mean to see the deforming characters with normal playback. Displacement high poly count can be handled for render with ease in current version of LW. But bone deformations ...

Kuzey
10-23-2010, 04:59 AM
Oooooh...nice model...is there a final rendered scene anywhere, I'd love to see it :thumbsup:

There is a funny bit when the statistics panel is closed....around the 03:39 mark. The viewports don't refresh...leaving a blank square where the panel was....I presume it's a Windows OS thing ?

Kuzey

Cageman
10-23-2010, 05:18 AM
Can we pleas see some deformations of these high poly objects, from this video and from Lino's siggraph video i can see yes handle of high amount of polys ... But what about bone deformations ? Lino switched display sub d to low then he wanted to repose the character, and this video showing not moving character, yes deformed by bones but not moving ... For me it's much more crucial to handle high poly bone deformations, i mean to see the deforming characters with normal playback. Displacement high poly count can be handled for render with ease in current version of LW. But bone deformations ...

In my world, you work with subd cage-meshes for animation and bring in displacementmaps so that you can view the result of deformation when you need to. I would NEVER touch an allready subdivided mesh to do rigging and animation on, because it is just plain stupid to do so, imho, and this goes for every app out there.. all of them get slow when lots of polys are evaluated through deformers.

:)

Soth
10-23-2010, 05:40 AM
Can we pleas see some deformations of these high poly objects, from this video and from Lino's siggraph video i can see yes handle of high amount of polys ... But what about bone deformations ?
...or few characters in one scene like one can do in 3D Max or blender or XSI.

EDIT: or Messiah

littlewaves
10-23-2010, 05:44 AM
nice video but not really showing anything new even to non-hardcore members like myself.

akademus
10-23-2010, 05:59 AM
Finally, some decent opengl performance in Modeler...

Limbus
10-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Finally a nwe feature that looks usefull for my workflow. I wonder how fast the display is when editing a high poly mesh. Tumbling is nice and all but the important thing is the editing speed.

Florian

GandB
10-23-2010, 07:06 AM
The 9.6/10 side-by-side was a nice touch, and really shows the difference. Nice video!

Eugeny
10-23-2010, 09:02 AM
In my world, you work with subd cage-meshes for animation and bring in displacementmaps so that you can view the result of deformation when you need to. I would NEVER touch an allready subdivided mesh to do rigging and animation on, because it is just plain stupid to do so, imho, and this goes for every app out there.. all of them get slow when lots of polys are evaluated through deformers.

:)

I'm not talking about making rigging, but yes i wold like to see making animation at last in sub d level 3 to see normal object instead of cage, for many reasons: more precise placement, facial expressions e.t.c
And in my world i'm too forced to work with sub-d cages... I just wondering how much LW take to update frame of rigged character with such a high amount of polygons.
How about edit the mesh with so high amount of polys ? Yes modeler can handle this but can we move some point, or point of the cage ?

RebelHill
10-23-2010, 01:58 PM
I just wondering how much LW take to update frame of rigged character with such a high amount of polygons.

very, very slow...

Orbiting in OGL is one thing, but evaluating the influence for all the bones on all those vertices is something very different.

At the end of the day its way way faster to animate at subD 0 then switch up for fine placement, and thats not gonna change, cos no matter how fast you're able to make a high poly object run... a lower poly one will still always run quicker.

There's also a hierarchy slowdown bug in LW thats currently still there and needs fixing...

Wahts this?!?!

open an empty scene, add a null, create a bone under it, and clone it... say 20 or 50 times... hit play... nice and quick.

Now take that first bone, and add instead a child bone, then a child to that bone, and another child to that, so you have a hierarchy 20-50 children deep... now hit play.. WAAAY slower.

Soth
10-23-2010, 02:34 PM
very, very slow...

Orbiting in OGL is one thing, but evaluating the influence for all the bones on all those vertices is something very different.

At the end of the day its way way faster to animate at subD 0 then switch up for fine placement, and thats not gonna change, cos no matter how fast you're able to make a high poly object run... a lower poly one will still always run quicker.

There's also a hierarchy slowdown bug in LW thats currently still there and needs fixing...

Wahts this?!?!

open an empty scene, add a null, create a bone under it, and clone it... say 20 or 50 times... hit play... nice and quick.

Now take that first bone, and add instead a child bone, then a child to that bone, and another child to that, so you have a hierarchy 20-50 children deep... now hit play.. WAAAY slower.
:(

I am perfectly fine animating characters with subd1 or even 0 but at the moment even more complicated rigs w/o any geometry are dog slow, not talking about scenes with 2,3,4... deformed characters, this is not to many - or is it?

NT need to address that, Messiah - one man shop - is 100s times faster than LightWave.

It is not like I do not welcome new stuff that comes into the LightWave, there is a lot of coolness coming, but deformation / rigs slowness is something really - really nasty to live with - if you have to struggle with that every day.

RebelHill
10-23-2010, 02:51 PM
at the moment even more complicated rigs w/o any geometry are dog slow

thats not the rig so much as it is the hierarchy, as I mentioned.

The longer/deeper a hierarchy is... rig or no rig, is where the slowdown is mostly occurring.

Eugeny
10-23-2010, 05:22 PM
I think it's somehow related to LW's parent coordinates ... All key frames in parent coordinates - deeper hierarchy more coordinates to update.

Soth
10-24-2010, 12:04 AM
I think it's somehow related to LW's parent coordinates ... All key frames in parent coordinates - deeper hierarchy more coordinates to update.
Even if that is the case its very simple maths and for current processors should not be a problem.

virtualcomposer
10-24-2010, 01:43 AM
Even if that is the case its very simple maths and for current processors should not be a problem.

This video just gets me more excited about LW 10 when I can afford the upgrade. Specially with high poly counts. That has always frustrated me when I want something extremely detailed but it jumps like it did in the video. All I need is a few higher paying gigs and I'm upgrading to LW 10!!! I don't think I'm cool enough to get Core though. LOL :D

-EsHrA-
10-24-2010, 03:32 AM
hey VPR again.. where's the news??..
show me new tools, long standing bugs fixed but not VPR in every movie..
or even a complex dynamics setup...there's bullet right?..

mlon

Philbert
10-24-2010, 03:45 AM
Maybe they're trying to gradually build excitement for the big launch in December.

Nemoid
10-24-2010, 03:49 AM
would be interesting to know the specs of machine used for this vid. Lw seems so powerful it seems unbelievable. :agree:
They actually should get rid of nasty bug rebelhill is talking about. Its a huge bottleneck. However no one would animate with a so huge polycount at all.

Philbert
10-24-2010, 03:53 AM
I agree it would be nice, but at least in the VPR video from Siggraph Rob said they ran it on a pretty average laptop and it ran just as well as the high end machine.

littlewaves
10-24-2010, 04:37 AM
Maybe they're trying to gradually build excitement for the big launch in December.

okay but I think they've pretty much covered "gradually" already haven't they?

cg_mike
10-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Check out the new LightWave 10 video: Display Enhancements (http://tv.newtek.com/player.php?recordID=98)

enjoy!

I'm a bit late to the party on this one. When I go to the link and try to play the video, an error comes up in the window:
"Net Stream.Play.StreamNotFound"

Has the link been changed (or was the video pulled for some reason)?

Philbert
10-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Huh same here. I went to the YouTube version and it has an error there too "this video is private"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_cUw5rb1aw

It's been almost a week, maybe they took it away only to put up the new one?

littlewaves
10-28-2010, 10:25 AM
think link has changed. Try here http://tv.newtek.com/player.php?recordID=96

Traveler
10-28-2010, 10:44 AM
It can also be found at Newtek's channel on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/NewTekInc#p/c/6E02EFD2C8DC914C/16/A0KJcgHNw5s

Philbert
10-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Neither of those are the new video, The new one has an NT employee (sorry I forget who) sitting at a desk with a Cintiq, talking about using 2 million poly models in Modeler and Layout, using 3D-Coat as an example.

littlewaves
10-28-2010, 08:23 PM
sorry yes you're right. I've linked to the 10:10:10 video. The new one is indeed missing.

We're spposed to be getting new ones each week for the next ten weeks as I recall so I guess they'll be a new one this weekend or thereabouts.

Not sure why they've taken down this one though. I find the newtektv site a little awkward to navigate

SBowie
10-29-2010, 05:40 AM
(sorry I forget who)Graham Toms ...

Philbert
10-29-2010, 05:43 AM
Graham Toms ...

Thank you.

TheDeacon
10-29-2010, 02:48 PM
And here's the next one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2iDv9hnQiw

Andrewstopheles
10-29-2010, 03:15 PM
nice video explains it well

nickdigital
10-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Cool!

Just a suggestion on these videos. Make a new thread announcing them. Burying the announcement in an existing thread is gonna make the announcement get lost in the sea of noise.

speismonqui
10-29-2010, 03:29 PM
:agree:
new videos every week? GREAT! Keep feeding the community! :thumbsup:
TNX

Philbert
10-29-2010, 03:50 PM
:agree:
new videos every week? GREAT! Keep feeding the community! :thumbsup:
TNX

Yes, there is supposed to be 1 new video every week for 10 weeks before launch.

TheDeacon
10-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Yes, there is supposed to be 1 new video every week for 10 weeks before launch.

We'll be releasing several different types of content before LightWave 10's release in Q4... the videos and creature content are a few examples of this.

We're excited to share all of this with you!

speismonqui
10-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Im loving these Lightwave 10's 10:10:10 tens
10 stars to Newtek! :D

littlewaves
11-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Oi Deacon!

where's this weeks video then? Keep 'em coming will ya

littlewaves
11-13-2010, 02:41 AM
hello....
hello....
hello....
hello....

is there anybody there....?
anybody there....?
anybody there....?
anybody there....?

Philbert
11-13-2010, 06:28 AM
I also would enjoy a new video.

hydroclops
11-13-2010, 08:17 AM
I think we got a new creature this week instead of a video, see post #39.

littlewaves
11-15-2010, 02:21 AM
I think we got a new creature this week instead of a video, see post #39.

Nice though the creature kits are what do they showcase that wasn't already available in LW9.6?