PDA

View Full Version : How to make a roller coaster...?

Philly85
10-22-2010, 08:39 AM
I have built the cart for my roller coaster.

I am a fairly new user and a basic one and I cant seem to create a track the right way, I used a number of steps like drawing them extruding but that didnt look right either.
Is there an easy way to do this? Or any tutorials online? Only ones I can find are how to animate roller coasters but not how to build the ride itself.

Thanks.

JeffrySG
10-22-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure of any tuts out there on that but you might want to post some pics of what you have so far and where you're having some problems. We might be able to help you at that point then.

this free plugin might help you with the tracks though....
http://www.pictrix.jp/?p=3740

Philly85
10-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Extracted the .zip file and tried to load the .p file but says annot load, doesnt give any other error just 0 plugins found in 1 file.

Danner
10-22-2010, 10:00 AM
I would make the trip first in layout, keyframe the camera moving around to decide where the track will go. Once you are happy with the movement, save the motion and extrude it in modeler (motion path extrude)

JamesCurtis
10-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Extracted the .zip file and tried to load the .p file but says annot load, doesnt give any other error just 0 plugins found in 1 file.

Are you using 64bit LW? Plugin may be 32bit. 64bit app won't see 32bit plugins and report the 0 plugins found error.

Nangleator
10-22-2010, 11:45 AM
The basics are, create a motion path (Danner's point is a good one,) make two side-by-side versions of that motion path in Modeler, so you can specify bank throughout, rail extrude the rails and any continuous floor under the rails, rail clone any repeating trestle structure, done.

Oh, if you have a repeating trestle or pylons, name the bottom poly something different, so you can select them all at the same time and set them to the same Y value.

Eagle66
10-24-2010, 07:30 AM
rollercoaster Setup
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76730

And here the Video:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/rollertrain.mov

Simon-S
10-26-2010, 04:58 AM
I've created quite a few roller coasters in my time and I've found the best way to start creating the track is to firstly create a spline (whether that's in layout using a camera and saving out the motion path or creating it manually in modeler with spline tools).

After that I extrude a single quad poly which is split into two down the Y and is the width of the whole track (making sure that the top edge of the poly is lined up with the first point of the spline in the bg layer before extruding).

Now from the new geometry you have extruded you can select the points in along the top corner edge and create a new spline. Do the same for the other top edge and you now have two splines that run parallel to one another.

You can do the same for the row of points that run along the top middle of the geometry to create a spline to use as an animation path for your cars to follow. (You can also use this spline to rail clone any pieces that you want to repeat along your track)

Now you can extrude each rail separately and your track should run parallel.

There are probably other ways which are better than this but this has worked for me...hope this helps.