PDA

View Full Version : Using the whole computer

SonicN2O
10-19-2010, 07:50 PM
I have an important question:

I'm getting a top-of -the- line new computer soon, and it sure beats the centrino duo imac I'm using now. This is a dual processor computer, and when I render, lightwave is only using one processor. that's not really a problem, but when you have FOUR i7 processors, then You aren't unleashing the full potential of the computer. any ways to use all four CPUs?

Titus
10-19-2010, 09:11 PM
any ways to use all four CPUs?

Not really, there's no way all calculations take 100% of the CPU all the time. You can try launching several processes, though.

speismonqui
10-19-2010, 09:19 PM
are you getting a new mac or a PC?

StereoMike
10-19-2010, 09:24 PM
When you render you should get 100% load on the CPU during raytracing/crunching through the picture. It will drop to 12 % at scene loading and other single threaded tasks because the i7 has hyperthreading, so it appears to the system and to ligthwave as if it had 8 cores.
Your current dual core should be able to get 100% load as well. Check the render panel ->Render Tab->Multithreading (at the bottom), set it to automatic or the amount of cores you want to use.

biliousfrog
10-20-2010, 02:16 AM
I have an important question:

I'm getting a top-of -the- line new computer soon, and it sure beats the centrino duo imac I'm using now. This is a dual processor computer, and when I render, lightwave is only using one processor. that's not really a problem, but when you have FOUR i7 processors, then You aren't unleashing the full potential of the computer. any ways to use all four CPUs?

Can you clarify what you're actually getting/got?...for a start, i7 processors cannot be run in multi-processor setups, only Xeons can do that. From your description it sounds like you have a single, dual core processor (i5) which has two physical cores plus hyperthreading which would show as 4 cores in task manager.

Follow Stereomike's advice to enable multithreading in Lightwave.

SonicN2O
10-20-2010, 06:13 AM
It's a quad-core i7 imac.
StereoMike answered the question, though.

also, does an ATI Radeon 5750 have Good OpenGL and DirectX Processing?

4dartist
10-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Ya, during the render you should see 100% CPU load. It'll drop off as the frame finishes and sets up for the next frame though, just like mentioned above.

Your quad-core Imac will see all 4 cores light up at 100%.

If you don't make sure you have lightwave set to 'Automatic' under Multithreading in the Render Globals under the Render tab.