PDA

View Full Version : Free nurnie download!!!

SonicN2O
10-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Hee-loo, lightwave community. I do't think I've quite been pulling my weight here, so this is a pretty arbitrary nurnie collection for use with the greeble-nurnies plugin. But, to make it really cool, people can download the .lwo file, make a new layer, and post it, and pretty soon we'll have a comprehensive nurnie collection for free download!

here's the file:

SonicN2O
10-19-2010, 07:39 PM
...Okaay, no one want to start off? here- I will.
89173-
and updated version of the file for anyone to download.
If you're interested, you can download the file, add a little nurnie (about 5m in length) to a new layer, and then upload the new file on to a post. Soon, we'll have something as cool as the "ultimate nurnie collection" for free download! :D:D:D

SonicN2O
10-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Here's the file I promised-

Textures and everything, right here.

JohnMarchant
10-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Thanks allot mate always in need of some nurnies

SonicN2O
10-21-2010, 06:24 PM
You're welcome man.

SonicN2O
10-21-2010, 06:36 PM
It would be cool if everyone who downloaded the file would add at least one nurnie to it, though. Bu that's just a suggestion.

OnlineRender
10-22-2010, 04:17 PM
and suggestion makes the world go ROUND , keep it up , its a good idea , just push a little more . .

SonicN2O
10-23-2010, 09:18 AM
thanks for the compliment

JohnMarchant
10-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Yeah its a great idea and if and when i get some time i may add a bit to it and repost

SonicN2O
10-23-2010, 09:46 AM
cool!

Ryan Roye
10-23-2010, 10:36 AM
I honestly had no idea what a "nurnie" was until you posted it... interesting...

SonicN2O
10-23-2010, 10:40 AM
I didn't until about a few months ago... glad to be of help.

SonicN2O
10-23-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm shutting my computer down for about a day...
I wont be able to post until about tomorrow...

CaptainMarlowe
10-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Interesting idea. I added a small one tonight.

XswampyX
10-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Added my 2p worth.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Nurnies.gif

dee
10-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Here's my contribution. :)

Ryan Roye
10-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Doing a major sci-fi 3d project myself, this is something I'm definitely going to look into next week, I may pitch into this thread later :)

I checked out the plugin SonicN20 talked about just recently... Way cool!

daforum
10-26-2010, 05:54 AM
I've added my Nurnie to the collection (Layer 11) :)

SonicN2O
10-26-2010, 08:54 AM
you guys are awesome. thanks so much!

Aquarian
10-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Here is another for your collection, pretty cool idea! :)

JustBob
10-27-2010, 12:16 AM
I didn't until about a few months ago... glad to be of help.

I think the term was originally coined by Ron Thornton (Foundation Imaging), iirc.

Sonic, you have whipped up a great idea and I shall nurnie away this weekend and submit my contribution.

Aquarian
10-28-2010, 12:10 AM
I added a few more for the nurnie fun...we could create a giant greeble monster and then blow it up with crackit (http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=5754803d), and here is a great tutorial on how to blow stuff up with it: Exploding and Object (http://www.sharecg.com/v/38104/Video-Tutorial/Lightwave_Exploding-an-Object?interstitial_displayed=Yes)

Does anyone know what defines a nurnie as opposed to a greeble?

Cheers.

Luke

JustBob
10-28-2010, 12:41 AM
I added a few more for the nurnie fun...we could create a giant greeble monster and then blow it up with crackit (http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=5754803d), and here is a great tutorial on how to blow stuff up with it: Exploding and Object (http://www.sharecg.com/v/38104/Video-Tutorial/Lightwave_Exploding-an-Object?interstitial_displayed=Yes)

Does anyone know what defines a nurnie as opposed to a greeble?

Cheers.

Luke

I think nurnie and greeble are basically interchangeable terms, imho. Physical fx modelers once used the term "widgets" to describe the same.

SonicN2O
10-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Woooooow, I lokked at the "ultimate nurnie collection" and these nurnies are much better than the ones on sale for $100. This benefits everyone in the LW community.

on a similar note, does anyone know any trics on how to make great nurnies like that?

SonicN2O
10-31-2010, 12:50 PM
I am looking through the details of well, model detail (a.k.a. the nurnies) and am positively AMAZED. how do you make meshes like this?!?

SonicN2O
10-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Alright, I tried my hand at making a shield generator thingy.

Here it is (The black part is a mirror)

Waddaya think?

zapper1998
10-31-2010, 05:29 PM
Some nurnies

Some simple stuff

Michael

digefxgrp
10-31-2010, 07:36 PM
I think the term was originally coined by Ron Thornton (Foundation Imaging)

It was coined further back than that - during the making of the first Star Wars, the modelmakers called the little model pieces (tanks, aircraft, etc.) that they placed on models to add detail - Nurnies.

The word goes back a lot farther than Star Wars...more like to the late '50's/early '60's... back to the days of Supercar or Fireball XL5. Can't remember if was Derek Meddings who invented catchwords like Widgets, Nurnies, Greeble, Greeblies...or someone else at Century21fx.

...these nurnies are much better than the ones on sale for $100.

Hardly. The Ultimate Nurnies Collection is modeled after a lot of the types of kit-parts we'd use for detailing up a "real" filming miniature and is by far the best commercial collection available. If you're a modeler, it's easy to identify a lot of his greeblies to the actual kits he modeled them off of.

If you guys want to build up a usable "parts box", www.studioscale.com/kitscans.htm is a great place to go to for reference scans of actual model-parts-trees. Build stuff from that...parts that'd look good as digital greeble.

Or head over to the "studio scale models" thread at RPF, www.therpf.com and check out some of the replica builds happening over there. "MoniseurTox's" 8' TESB Star Destroyer would be a great place to start. He's identified hundreds of kits parts that were used in the ILM build, and he's got tons of his own wip-pics.

Jim Keys also did a fantastic original BSG build and has a good wip portfolio over at http://www.customreplicas.com/gallery_galactica.html
BTW- If you live in the Pacific Northwest(USA), this replica will be on display thru March 2011 at Paul Allen's Sci-Fi Museum located in the Seattle Center (next to the Space Needle).

Bottom line: there's a real art to super-detailing up a miniature. It's not just slapping on whatever s...t you happen to have laying around or designing something that has no real engineering sense to it. It needs to look like it should go there for a reason and fit in style-wise with the rest of the model design.

Aquarian
11-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Those are some great links from digefxgrp, I'll be sure to check them out further, thanks! The BSG model is pretty awesome...a lot of work goes into objects like that.

I'm not a professional but I would probably still take the time and manually greeble a model and not use an auto greebling tool simply because I think there should be some thought flow behind the detail even if you don't know what each part is or does, however they're still great tools. For instance creating some alien object or something and randomly dispersing alien characters over something or creating city blocks perhaps, or just creating some random art...after all a lot of "modern art" is more or less "random".

Anyway, here's the method I used which is fairly straight forward:

1) Create a box and place in the background to use as a template.
2) Plot out some points to create a panel shape. - I usually do a shift + and plot out the points then hit p to create the poly, but you can use the Pen tool also.
3) Extrude and Bevel (b) to get an edge.
4) Mirror (shift v) in the Y axis, then again in the X.
4) Repeat until you've filled in the spaces created.
5) Create a center piece. You can create a profile in your top or right view similar to step 2 and then lathe (shift L) it instead.

You can also create a profile and extrude it to create a fin of some sort and then use the array tool (ctrl y), select radial array in the appropriate axis. Also select a face or side and bevel with an inset only and then smooth shift (shift f) it back.

With just those simple methods you can create a lot of symmetrical detail that will look nice and orderly...if that's what you're after. A good design tip is that "white space" (the empty space between objects) is just as important as what your plotting out. I sometimes draw or design only with the white space in mind...you can get some interesting effects.

I attached some images showing the process.

Aquarian
11-01-2010, 09:23 PM
I've also found that by just adding a simple bevel to faces, adding a slight edge to reflect the light, helps to detail and also taking straight lines and adding some variation makes a big difference also...for instance a simple cylinder can be made much more interesting by lathing a custom poly in it's place. It's probably best to stick with the modeling pieces mentioned in other posts but if you're like me and want something original, regardless if it's "professional" or not, you can go quite a ways with this method, there's really no end to detail.

SonicN2O
02-13-2011, 06:34 PM
I'll work on a few nurnies.

jeric_synergy
02-13-2011, 07:00 PM
maybe we should put timestamps on the collections so people will know, in years to come.... aw hell, the biggest one is always the latest. Never mind.

(but should someone want to, my preferred format, which sorts alphabetically AND by timestamp, is YYMMDD_HHMM, 24 hour clock, GMT.)

jeric_synergy
02-14-2011, 04:09 PM
the PICTRIX Tube Tools look like a good way to add flush nurnies to surfaces: like tubes that run along a wall. :thumbsup:

http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/tube/index.html

:thumbsup:

SonicN2O
02-14-2011, 05:59 PM
coolness!

Serling
02-14-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm a "greeble man" myself. No love for greebles here??? :)

jeric_synergy
02-14-2011, 11:37 PM
::hitches thumbs in gun belt, turns from the bar:: "We don't cotton to no greebles in this heyah parts, stranger."

SonicN2O
02-15-2011, 05:31 AM
"I'll let my plug- in do the talkin'"

SonicN2O
02-15-2011, 05:31 AM
"I'll let my plug- in do the talkin'"

Sorry, I'm really good at bad jokes.