PDA

View Full Version : mdd as dynamics pilot?

nÚvada
10-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Hi every body !
It's a long time i read these forums and i'm impressed by all the brain waves i found!
I'm beginner and i try to understand a workflow that would use messiah for animation and lightwave for clothfx an rendering.
Is it possible to transfer the movement of a mesh animated with mdd to a static one?
For exemple, is a box using jelly dynamics able to transfer its movement to a belly (a part of a mesh)?

thank you

GregMalick
10-19-2010, 11:01 AM
MDD's apply the position in space of each vertex over time.
The vertex numbers in the box would have no relationship to the vertex numbers in the belly.

Even if you could transfer the motion, moving the vertex position of the belly to those of the box would only make the belly look like a wiggling box.

I know of no useful way to transfer the motion from one mesh to another using MDD.

nÚvada
10-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Thank you for you quick answer GregMalick!
even if i copy the part of the belly and paste to become the box with dynamics?
The number of points wouldn't be the same but if i connect some of them together, with a subpatched object..
What about using the moving mesh with mdd as collision object inside the belly?
I'm looking for foot bridge with messiah : i discovered mdd was The key between different animation softs and i just began to understand the possibilities of DP displacement nodes
thanks

nickdigital
10-19-2010, 02:00 PM
I think mixing your workflow like that is going to make things too complicated, both in execution and management. Why not do everything in Messiah? Messiah does have some cloth and soft body dynamics already.

Is there something specific about LW you're trying to make use of?

Dodgy
10-19-2010, 07:09 PM
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=3b7161f5

This will allow you to copy say a belly's polys into a new object, deform just those polys (using clothFX or whatever), and have that deform the original object.

nÚvada
10-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Thank you very much for the plugin Dodgy!
That matches, i explore with it multi-dynamics
on a body in one mesh.
I'll keep you post it
Hi Nickdigital, I'm just begining with messiah, i think i'll dive in it but i'd like to optimise the many hours i spent on lightwave (here,with a poor walk cycle).