PDA

View Full Version : SSD benefits?

crashnburn
10-18-2010, 02:12 PM
HI,

Anyone using an SSD as a main system disc? Any pros or cons?

I'm looking at an OCZ Vertex 2 and wondered how people are doing with them, issues to watch for, how it's made their system better?

Eroneouse
10-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Issue to watch out for do not defrag an SSD with the usual win defrag tool you need a specific type defrag tool apparently.

Also a friend of mine had his fried by his young son switching his machine on and off repeatedly while dad was at work.

crashnburn
10-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks, I'll have a look into that and see what software is about.

Luckily I have no children here at the moment, but maybe something to be aware of.

artstorm
10-18-2010, 03:52 PM
I simply adore my SSD that I put in my latest computer. (Intel X25-m G2 80GB). Windows loads super quick, and applications start about the same time as I push the icon. Couldn't imagine building a system without SSD again.

It's correct about not using defrag on SSD. As a defrag shuffles around files, it puts unnecessary wear and tear on the memory cells. And it's not needed either, as SSD doesn't suffer from a defragged file in the same way a mechanical drive does.

What you do need to do occasionally is to issue a trim command to the drive. That frees up memory cells not used anymore (ie deleted files etc) to be available to the file system again. Windows 7 has support for SSD and handles this automatically. If you plan to run an older Windows, you can get a defrag program (My defrag program O&O Defrag, detects SSD and trims instead of defrags) or a program from the SSD manufacturer.

I've the SSD as System and Applications drive, and then I use mechanical drives for everything else (data, renderings, film editing etc) as that would be way to expensive for me to use SSD for. :)

Traveler
10-18-2010, 04:27 PM
I agree, the only con I can think of is the price. Other than that I'm very happy with it. I use the Intel X25-M Postville 160GB and it's simply great. Windows is up and running within seconds of touching the power switch, applications all start immediately, installations are completed in no-time at all, the time to wait for levels to load during games is shortened greatly, etc ect. Really the only thing to doubt is whether you should go for 80 or 160gb. :)

Wolvster
10-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I spend allot of time reading up on their drives here...

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forum.php?

LOT'S of very helpful people not to mention
good information on the drives themselves... :D

I plan on getting one myself real soon, but I decided
to hold off for a bit.. From what I have read on various
Forums with newer drives coming out and the Holidays
getting here REAL soon theirs " supposed " { not in stone mind you. }
to be a drop in price in SSD's !

I'm patient, so I'll wait another month or two... :thumbsup:

Noclar7
10-19-2010, 12:27 PM
SSD is the best upgrade you can do to a ageing laptop. It was for me atleast.

Popped a Intel 160gb SSD in my MacbookPro. Immediate new system feel. Everything just loads faster period and the machine boots instantly.

If your a multi-app switchin type of person this is a great upgrade for your main OS and apps Dir. Still pricey for general storage, but its starting to come down.

Andrewstopheles
10-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Using an Intel X25-M 160GB here. It's fast. Get one if you can.
Hey Noclar7 where in New Brunswick are you? I'm in Amherst NS.

Titus
10-19-2010, 12:48 PM
I understand SSD have a short lifespan.

crashnburn
10-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Hard drives are no better else there would be no need for backups and RAIDs. I wouldn't touch a Maxtor drive with a barge pole. And Seagate aren't faring much better. where I work with have a load of ecommerce servers and they are having problems with hard disk failures.........Seagates.

SSD manufacturers recommend a lifespan greater than that of hard disks, but obviously that has to be proven.

crashnburn
10-19-2010, 01:41 PM
I picked up a Vertex 2 today, installed it and put my OS on. Wow it's fast.

From OCZ site: "Vertex 2 EX has an ultra-reliable 10 million hour MTBF and comes backed by a three-year warranty."

The memory banks have a limited lifetime at which when it can no longer write to that bank it moves on to a different bank. There are redundant banks within the SSD to allow for this. So looking at it I should (fingers crossed) get a good few years out of it.

Lamont
10-20-2010, 05:16 AM
I still haven't seen anything that will make me want to move to SSD. As all the comments are "App X, Y and Z boot super fast. OS loads quick.". Breathing new life into an aging system is valid though :D.

If your working files are not on SSD, then what's the point then? Is there a noticeable difference when you have a file on SATA and your app/OS on SSD? No one has given me an answer on that, but it seems obvious where the bottleneck would be. For now I can wait for 7 seconds to allow my apps to load.

But I sure as heck would love to have ALL my drives SSD.

JonW
10-20-2010, 05:36 AM
Very good, got the Intel X25m 80gb old model, & running XP.

New model with Windows7 should be better.

Great for system & current Lightwave work. Also really good For Modeler when accessing & saving 100 layer files.

Quicker than the Velociraptor with Screamernet when loading nodes.

I keep the other files on a Velociraptor. Or on Velociraptor or standard drives on other computers.

crashnburn
10-20-2010, 06:09 PM

:agree:

Hieron
10-21-2010, 07:41 PM
No one has given me an answer on that, but it seems obvious where the bottleneck would be. For now I can wait for 7 seconds to allow my apps to load.

Snappiness! That's it I guess :)
All files here are on (not too shabby) big raid drives and moving them to the SSD is a hassle. So for me it is just the feel of the whole thing. And once you get used to that... (all Intel SSD's here)

Concerning budget it is I guess not the most performance improving part of a pc...

(for laptops the benefit is bigger ofc)

Riff_Masteroff
10-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Just planning for my next self-assembled puter: What is a decent way to backup a SSD main drive . . . could I buy two of them and run them mirrored? Probably, I will also have a RAID 5-1 setup (using a controller card) for work files in the same computer.

BigHache
10-21-2010, 10:16 PM
If your working files are not on SSD, then what's the point then?

A higher Windows 7 Experience Index!

But on a serious note, I would imagine any call the OS needs to make from the drive will be much punchier, like your paging file.

Riff, I have read where folks have striped SSDs for performance. You won't get any speed boost mirrored though, but I don't see why it can't be done.

Soth
10-22-2010, 01:10 AM
I understand SSD have a short lifespan.
Well it is not true any more. The difference is that you can be sure that you SSD will wear off after 30 years, with HDD you might be lucky and still be able to use it. :D

I am not sure how this (urban legend) originated but from reading technical details of SSD manufacturers I learned that SSD have much longer lifespan than normal hard discs.

Maybe someone knows more about the topic and want to share hers/his knowledge?

Titus
10-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Well it is not true any more. The difference is that you can be sure that you SSD will wear off after 30 years, with HDD you might be lucky and still be able to use it. :D

I am not sure how this (urban legend) originated but from reading technical details of SSD manufacturers I learned that SSD have much longer lifespan than normal hard discs.

Maybe someone knows more about the topic and want to share hers/his knowledge?

Many friends with laptops using SSD have problems with their disks just after the 1-year warranty expired. SSD are known to have a limited amount of write/erase cycles. There seem to exit two types of SSD, MLC and SLD.

crashnburn
10-22-2010, 01:44 PM
More and more workstation manufacturers are putting SSDs in their systems. So we're either going to have a lot of annoyed 3d artists in the near future or these expensive systems are going to be okay. Time will tell lol.

BigHache
10-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Titus, I can't help but wonder if what you mentioned has any similarity to purchasing an external HDD and finding out after it fails that it had a DeathStar drive inside. If these were off-the-shelf systems, I'd doubt the computer manufacturer(s) would put what one of us would look for in an SSD into the system. Just a thought.

Titus
10-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Titus, I can't help but wonder if what you mentioned has any similarity to purchasing an external HDD and finding out after it fails that it had a DeathStar drive inside. If these were off-the-shelf systems, I'd doubt the computer manufacturer(s) would put what one of us would look for in an SSD into the system. Just a thought.

Maybe. In my banana republic we usually don't have the state of the art to choose, at least in a reasonable price.

artstorm
10-23-2010, 01:35 AM
Yes the current generation of SSD are just as good if not even better than HDD in reliability. And not to forget that SSD also doesn't generate any heat or makes any noise. I could remove the fan I had cooling my former HDD system drive when I went the SSD route. Quieter and cooler system.
Looking forward to the day when it's affordable to run all my storage on SSD. :D