PDA

View Full Version : Posing Rig versus Animation Rig ?

safetyman
10-18-2010, 07:54 AM
I heard someone mention creating a "posing rig" their character, so I was wondering if this is something different from a standard rig used for animation. Is there a very fast method for just throwing some bones in there and using that to get a character into a pose? I guess this sounds kinda stupid, since a rig is made to control something, whether it's for animation or not, but since I don't really do any animation to speak of, I'd like to think that setting up a "posing rig" is relatively straightforward. Please enlighten me.

lightmann
10-18-2010, 11:09 AM
A posing rig is basically a skeleton using simple fk capabilities and just a few wmaps used only for stills.For example Zbrush allows this kind of things in a section of his Zspheres called "Rig"
Instead of a animation rig its not wired in IK(inverse kinemetics)or other constrains.

safetyman
10-19-2010, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the reply. The Zbrush posing was exactly the type of thing I was thinking about. So is this easy to set up in LW, or is it basically the same procedure, just without going on to set up IK and the advanced stuff?

I haven't had time to try rigging on my own, so forgive my ignorance.

nickdigital
10-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Pretty much. You'd be making a basic skeleton. You probably still want to put IK on the legs so you can move the hips around but everything else could be FK.

To avoid weight painting you could cut up the object in Modeler and just do basic parent-child relationships on the object layers in Modeler or Layout.