PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 10 Export Utilities Problem

readme.txt
10-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Hello. I've a weird problem regarding exporting .lwo files to FBX; I'm a novice at modeling. I'm using a pre-release 10 version of modeler; I've skipped all versions after 9.2, so I've no experience using the exporters until now. I'm trying to export to ASCII FBX version 201100, but I don't think UV coordinates are being enabled to be exported. First, as a baseline, my first step:

1: Create a single triangle, flat on the y = 0 plane, normal facing upwards.
2: Save object as: uvtest1.lwo file.
3: Export to FBX: uvtest1.fbx.

Second step:

1: Create a UV map "inside" of uvtest1.lwo.
2: Map triangle onto an image: uvimg.jpg.
3: In Surface Editor, select texture button on the color channel, set Projection to UV, UVMap to TestMap_UV, Image to uvimg.jpg.
4: Save object as: uvtest2.lwo.
5: Export to FBX: uvtest2.fbx.

So, I compare uvtest1.fbx with uvtest2.fbx. Doing a diff, you'll notice differences, but the one major difference is that on line number 332 and 335 where uvtest1.fbx diffuse color and diffuse channel are different, which is not surprising. I don't see UV coordinates though.

I'm starting to think there's a general problem with Lightwave's (10) export utilities. I downloaded a model (Blaze) that had .3ds, .lwo, .max, .mb, .obj. When I loaded .lwo and .obj, both loaded and looked fine. So, I took the .lwo file, exported it to .obj, then I reread that very same .obj file (not the premade one), the texture coordinates were "jumbled" and the modeled looked messed up.

My real goal is to use binary FBX, and I'm just assuming that the data is the same for ASCII, just obviously different format.

Lamont
10-17-2010, 03:47 AM
Hold sec...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/newwavexhomicide/Messageboard%20Taunts/MJpopcorn.gif

Anyone else want some? I got a BIG bucket...

cresshead
10-17-2010, 04:19 AM
you'll get a better response over on the beta area forums

Titus
10-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Hello. I've a weird problem regarding exporting .lwo files to FBX; I'm a novice at modeling. I'm using a pre-release 10 version of modeler;.

Oh! I've no idea... but please tell me more. :devil: