PDA

View Full Version : VT[3] : Win2k or XPPro?

OBroschart
09-22-2003, 03:27 PM
We just received our VT[3] package and before I go about installing it, I was wondering if it was worth the extra effort to upgrade the OS as well.

We're currently running Win2KPro on a Dell Precision 650 with dual 3gig Xeons.

Other than better hyperthreading support for the 2 Xeons, will there be any advantages?

Thanks.

PIZAZZ
09-23-2003, 09:40 AM
Yes Upgrade. There is a difference. At least we feel like there is here.

Jim_C
09-23-2003, 10:09 AM
-The Restore points ON XP to hop back to a good config in case something goes wacky.
-The T3 was coded on XP.
-I had a dual boot, one with XP, one with 2k, both had T3 on them.
Every test I ran, rendering, etc, the XP was faster.
-Youll need to do at least 2 service pack upgrades with 2k, one with XP.
-It can be Romper Room looking, but XP can be reset to look like 2k or you can change yourself or dload small programs that can really make XP look pretty svelt.

couple more cents there..

I say swtch,,,,
good luck
jim

OBroschart
09-23-2003, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys. I'll install XP on a fresh disc.

Hey Jim, what are those little GUI-modifier programs for XP you mention?

Jim_C
09-23-2003, 02:59 PM
I used Style XP
http://www.tgtsoft.com/

then you dload all kinds of themes from here
http://www.themexp.org/

My buddy rattled off a couple other similar programs the other day, I can't remember the names, but I'll ask him next time I see him.

take care
jim

tlively
09-23-2003, 08:51 PM
As much as I hate sending more cash to Seattle; Go with XP. When you say "other than hyperthreading" That's like saying "other than sugar, what other differences do you note between lemon juice with ice and lemonade?" Hyperthreading cuts render times by circa 25% even when that's the only thing your doing (go figure). Photo shop and Mainconcept's MPEG encoder really like hyperthreading as well as the extended command support available in the new p4 chips.

Tom

OBroschart
09-26-2003, 08:15 AM
I didn't realise that enabling Hyperthreading made that much difference. 25%? That's a lot more than just a marketing gimmick.

Now, I've read in a lot of places that XP is heavy on overhead system tasks that should be disabled when setting up a computer for NLE work. Can you recommend a link that highlights this?