PDA

View Full Version : Setting up the TriCaster for the first time

BradB
10-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Greetings all,
My name is Brad, I'm a Television Production major at Emerson College, I'm currently in my senior year, and interning at a local medium sized company producing videos and their weekly webcast.

Recently we have decided to upgrade the webcast to a multi-cam setup, using the TriCaster as the primary tool.

In preparation for its arrival I've been reading the TriCaster Family manual. I believe I understand initial setup, camera/ext setup, however I'm unsure about the info I need in order to stream. We stream using Livestream ProCaster at the moment.

From what I've read I believe I want to use a h264 push streaming profile to the Livestream server. I know that I need a streamID. I'm unclear if I setup the Stream ID myself or that's something given to me by Livestream. I also believe I need to setup a RTMP URL, so that TriCaster can communicate with the LiveStream server. Again I'm unsure if this is something I create, or if it's given to me by Livestream.

EDIT:Also I'd love to get tips on determining the best bitrate to use. According to speed test, the compant gets 40mbs down and 50mbs up. Perhaps there is an article on how to best optimize bitrate for stream quality?

I created this thread only because I couldn't find answers to these questions. If these questions have been answered elsewhere, please direct me to the appropriate thread.

I'd also appreciate any tips from experienced members. Also corrections on anything I'm missing or misunderstanding.

Thanks for your time!

pconradt
10-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Take a look here http://www.livestream.com/userguide/?title=Use_Flash_Media_Encoder_On2_Flix_live_or_Wi recast_with_Livestream#Using_Flash_Media_Encoder_w ith_Livestream this will give you some info on how to setup for Livestream.

Basically, you can put whatever 1-word you want in the stream ID. Nobody will see it. You then need to modify the following URL rtmp://publish.livestream.com/mogulus/[your_channel]/username=[username]/password=[password]/isAutoLive=true for your username/password settings. Be sure to remove the [] when you enter your info. If you are streaming in 16x9 you will also need to add /aspectWidth=16/aspectHeight=9 to the end of the string.

Given your bandwidth availability, you could pick the highest output. Normally between 500-700kbps. Remember, that whatever you send out, your users will need to be able to handle on the download.

BradB
10-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Take a look here http://www.livestream.com/userguide/?title=Use_Flash_Media_Encoder_On2_Flix_live_or_Wi recast_with_Livestream#Using_Flash_Media_Encoder_w ith_Livestream this will give you some info on how to setup for Livestream.

Basically, you can put whatever 1-word you want in the stream ID. Nobody will see it. You then need to modify the following URL rtmp://publish.livestream.com/mogulus/[your_channel]/username=[username]/password=[password]/isAutoLive=true for your username/password settings. Be sure to remove the [] when you enter your info. If you are streaming in 16x9 you will also need to add /aspectWidth=16/aspectHeight=9 to the end of the string.

Given your bandwidth availability, you could pick the highest output. Normally between 500-700kbps. Remember, that whatever you send out, your users will need to be able to handle on the download.

Thanks for the response, this seems simple enough.

pconradt
10-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Also forgot, make sure that you register & update the software on the Tricaster. You might get an error that "Directory not available/valid" if you are not running the most recent version.

UVMtv
10-28-2010, 03:09 PM
I do not get any sort of confirmation or activity on livestream that it even sees my tricaster studio. What is going on? I hate ustream. Livestream is the better way to go but how am I supposed to use it if it doesn't work?!

pconradt
11-01-2010, 02:02 PM
The Tricaster won't be "seen" by Livestream until you have the correct URL setup for streaming & you press the "Stream" button. You will then be able to log into the Livestream Studio (on another machine) and you will see your stream.

If you want to go autolive, you need to add the correct syntax onto the URL. This will then push your feed to your Livestream channel for everybody to see.

Dajen
12-05-2010, 09:45 PM
LiveStream limits you to 500kb on the free account. You need to pick a profile that is lower than 500k.