PDA

View Full Version : I need help bending a rod

Bushmsn
10-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Hello[

I am trying to to a bend a rod around one object while being influenced by 2 others. In the photo I have a gray object which has a purple rod parented to it. I want to rap the purple rod around the gray object and have the red rod cause the bending when I spin the gray object. :)At the same time I need the baby blue object to bend the rod so it does not run into itself on the second pass of the rotation.

Thank Ron

http://www.newtek.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=120&pictureid=524

Amurrell
10-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Your gif is 1x1 pixel, so we can't see it.

Hopper
10-14-2010, 09:39 PM
I am trying to to a bend a rod around one object while being influenced by 2 others.
/giggle. :D

I have a gray object which has a purple rod parented to it. I want to rap the purple rod around the gray object and have the red rod cause the bending when I spin the gray object. At the same time I need the baby blue object to bend the rod so it does not run into itself on the second pass of the rotation.
Hey man ... I think you're looking for www.kinky-muppet-twister-sex.com. This isn't the place for that kinda stuff you know.

Serling
10-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Not really clear on what you're trying to do, but I would think the easiest way to do this would be to create the objects that you want to influence the rod and position them. Then, in a separate layer, create a spline (point, pen, sketch or draw) in the direction and shape you want the rod to bend around them.

Once you have the spline wrapped around the objects the way you want it, place it in a background layer then create a disc in a new layer perpendicular to the starting point of the spline. Use the rail extrude tool (under the Multiply tab) to extrude the disc along the length of the spline.

If you're looking to animate something like this, that's above my pay grade. :) Good luck.

tonyrizo2003
10-15-2010, 01:46 AM
ok so there are a few ways to this illusion;
1.) you can use bones in layout but that can get tricky
2.) you can use a clip map to reveal an object that is already curved around the object, at the same time you will need to animate the straight rod downward by either using a clip map to hide it after a certain point or stretching it down to almost nothing
3.) you can also animate along a spline as if a vine were growing

do a google search see what pops up, hope this helps