PDA

View Full Version : Questions for 3D artits

Surrealist.
10-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi,

I have some questions about for freelance 3D and graphic artists. I am wondering if you guys who are doing this full time on the side or in any capacity could chime in and help me to get a feel for what is being done out there and how. If you could be so kind as to answer any of these questions you can, I'd appreciate it.

(This is not a marketing survey, just trying to get a feel for what is being done for my own purposes.)

Obviously you don't have to answer #1 if you don't want to be candid here on the forum but here it is:

1) Part A: how much do you make say, on an average, in 1 Month's time? Part B: How much time do you spend doing it?

(you can answer in the currency of your country or use USD if you don't want reveal your location)

2) What program(s) do yo use for most of your work?

3) And are you doing 3D or 2D graphics primarily or any combination of the two?

4) Where do you do your work? What I mean here is, do you have an office where clients can meet you or do yo work primarily from home?

This leads into the next question.

5) Where do you get your work? Is it from local businesses that you advertise or promote to locally or do you get your work primarily through internet connections? Or both? Or do you fill in for companies that have large jobs that they hire temp artists for? Other?

6) Do you have another similar job, say, working for a company doing graphics and do some freelance from home on the side? Or do you have a job doing something completely different and this is something you do on the side?

7) What would you say is the nature of most of your work? Animation? Modeling and texturing, architectural visualization? 2D graphics? Game? Other?

8) What for you seems to be the most lucrative area? What do you seem to be able to do and get paid the best for? Or do you have a flat rate for everything?

9) What kind of work do you find is in the most in demand in general from your experience?

10) What venue are you doing most of your lucrative work for? Example: Television? Film? Industrial Video? Gaming? Local businesses ? Small or large corporations?

11) Anything of interest I may not have covered?

Thanks for any information you can give.

cresshead
10-14-2010, 11:44 AM
I have some questions about for freelance 3D and graphic artists. I am wondering if you guys who are doing this full time on the side or in any capacity could chime in and help me to get a feel for what is being done out there and how. If you could be so kind as to answer any of these questions you can, I'd appreciate it.

(This is not a marketing survey, just trying to get a feel for what is being done for my own purposes.)

Obviously you don't have to answer #1 if you don't want to be candid here on the forum but here it is:

1) Part A: how much do you make say, on an average, in 1 Month's time? Part B: How much time do you spend doing it?
unpredictable especially currently with the ressession

(you can answer in the currency of your country or use USD if you don't want reveal your location)

2)
3dsmax, lightwave, corel draw, photoshop.

3)
mainly 3d stills

4) home via email/telephone/skype

5) all sorts of contacts!

6)
i currently have a day job as a graphics designer

7) product modeling, replacing the use of a digital camera with a 3d model

8) best paid jobs were for corporate web site graphics

9) product pre vis or visualisation, immersive website grahics [felix site]

10) small businesses and large corporations

11) let me think!

akademus
10-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Hi,

I'm not freelancing since April, I'm full time employed and can't freelance now, but before that average of 4000$ a month which leads to part B I use to work 3 jobs, freelancing for local company, teaching at the the college and freelancing for couple of clients, mostly from USA. But I ended working long long hours and went completely exhausted in the end....
Obviously LW, then Zbrush, PS and AE
Use to do a lot of motion graphics in AE before now luckily I'm back to LW 8-9 hours a day :D
4) Where do you do your work? What I mean here is, do you have an office where clients can meet you or do yo work primarily from home?
I use to work from home and don't think you need an office especially if you subcontracting.

5) Where do you get your work? Is it from local businesses that you advertise or promote to locally or do you get your work primarily through internet connections? Or both? Or do you fill in for companies that have large jobs that they hire temp artists for? Other?
Best option for me was having a small producer studio(s) in USA who needed someone to do 3D and motion graphics while they do editing and stuff, and there is a lot of people like that. They usually don't know much about 3D and they are happy with most of the things if they are done properly, so demands are not high and it gives you time and chance to practice a lot while earning money.
6) Do you have another similar job, say, working for a company doing graphics and do some freelance from home on the side? Or do you have a job doing something completely different and this is something you do on the side?
I'm now full time employed and cannot (and dont need to :) ) freelance.
7) What would you say is the nature of most of your work? Animation? Modeling and texturing, architectural visualization? 2D graphics? Game? Other?
Currently a lot of modeling, illustration and helping other people on different projects. In the freelance days, complete projects of smaller magnitude
8) What for you seems to be the most lucrative area? What do you seem to be able to do and get paid the best for? Or do you have a flat rate for everything?
t9) What kind of work do you find is in the most in demand in general from your experience?
Can't answer this I did almost everything there is to do :)
10) What venue are you doing most of your lucrative work for? Example: Television? Film? Industrial Video? Gaming? Local businesses ? Small or large corporations?
TV... in my case, I haven't done much gaming stuff

Develop strong work ethic, constantly improve on skills, try to push every project to its limits, so you also have something decent for portfolio, because you can easily end up doing bunch of small crappy jobs to stay afloat, and (like me once) you end up with a year without a single good thing for portfolio...

Thanks for any information you can give.

Besto of luck mate!!!

a

Surrealist.
10-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info so far. Much appreciated.

Captain Obvious
10-14-2010, 01:36 PM
modo, Lightwave, Photoshop, Fusion, Maxwell, 3dsmax. Probably in that order.

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]In-house for a company.

I'm not really involved in pitching for jobs, so I don't really know. Most of our jobs are returning clients, though. Most of the specific projects I work on are jobs where the client approached us, I think.

I freelance, but mostly just for this one company. I don't bother doing any paid work on the side.

Mostly high-res architectural visualisation stills for print, and a fair amount of animation work (mostly walkthrough stuff).

I've got a flat-but-flexible rate. I basically add a PITA tax for jobs where I need to work longer hours than I'd normally expect.

9) What kind of work do you find is in the most in demand in general from your experience?
I don't know.

Most of our clients are large corporations, specifically some of Britain's biggest land developers and some of the world's biggest architects.

Could be useful to ask what specific field of 3D graphics people do. I do arch viz.

NanoGator
10-14-2010, 05:32 PM
1.) I don't want to answer this because it can get you into trouble. You're not just paid for your work, you're paid for your talent. The difference is that 'peace of mind' is a very impotant factor when a client pays you. It's easy to ask for too much if they haven't heard of you. I will say, though, that it wasn't enough to live on. You have to make up for taxes etc. You'll need a day job.

2.) The client often dictates this. If all I'm turning over is imagery, I usually just use Lightwave. If I have to hand stuff over, I use Maya. If I have to hand over geometry, I use whichever makes sense to use.

3.) 3d.

4.) My freelance work is in my office at home. I meet the clients at their place or they FTP me stuff.

5.) I go from movie to movie and encounter people who work on multiple orojects, they need help from time to time. In the past, even outside the industry, this is how I've found free-lance work. I also would post WIP images on various forums and would get contacted.

6.) Originally I worked as a web developer and did occasional freelance. Now I work in pre-viz and get a lot more freelance work because I"m encountering people who need related work.

7.) Modeling, texturing, rendering.

8.) I'm not qualified to answer this question, really. But the most lucrative stuff is the stuff that needs to be done the quickest. I know that's not the answer you're looking for but that's how it always lands with me. In my case that's almost always television work taking matte-paintings and putting them on geo. But it's the deadline, not the work that makes it lucrative.

9.) The answer to that question is tied to what I do for a living, so I don't think that'll help you much other than to say "stick with what you're really good at." Animation is probably really lucrative, but I don't have a love for it so it's not useful to me.. does that make sense? I Know I phrased it funny. My point is that you should choose something you enjoy and then it'll become lucrative. I really love environments, for example, so all of my work orbits that.

10.) Again, this is tied to who I bump into. Film and TV.

11.) Excel at something, then find the work. Interest level plays such a huge part in how much you get paid it's not even funny.

Surrealist.
10-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks again. Those are some great answers. Keep'm coming.