PDA

View Full Version : Vue 9 initial impression

clagman
10-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Beta..so far it is really nice. Stability is much improved, working with ecosystems is by far the most improved (speed in calculating) but it does seem to render a bit faster also. The interface looks nicer (it's so cheerful ;o)
What struck me as the most important working feature is this:

In Lightwave I was able to animate a character with bones and keyframes, export as collada, bring over to Vue by importing the dae file and all deformations and keyframes tracked exactly like they should. In this way it makes it much easier to render all Vue elements in Vue without the need for problematic shadows. All xStream will have to do now is create proper alpha clipping for the LW objects. Well that's the plan anyway.

Still experimenting but I'm encouraged so far.

Phil
10-13-2010, 08:17 AM
I'd be interested in hearing that the antiflicker system was effective.

clagman
10-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Rendered out a short to see, and it does seem to be working. I took the AA down to 70% quality (9/16;optimized; automatic) disabled multi-frame AA, and rendered out a bunch of bushes with the camera moving from left to right about 4' from the ground which normally requires me to kick the AA up to 100% to eliminate the grainy flickering.

No flicker at all, although the bushes do look a bit softer. Also I noticed that it took longer to render than I would have thought using 70% quality so I think that it must be dynamically allocating more AA to clean the bad areas up. Makes for a more efficient scene though since the terrain that doesn't really need as much AA doesn't get it but the plants do.

MovieMaker1972
10-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Do you import your lightwave assets into vue and use vue as final render then?

I am wondering what workflow works best for someone just learning (me)

clagman
10-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Sometimes for the purposes of casting shadows or to use as a reference or as a matte I will do this, not so much for final rendering. Normally what I do is set the scene up in LW using xStream then I render as much of the Vue content in Vue as I can (because its just a million times faster at rendering it's own stuff than LW is), render the LW stuff in LW and composite.

A nifty trick is to turn off the Vue scene and bake radiosity to your LW objects using a textured environment and a image in the composite background (black or other depending). Render that with a flat plane (for shadow catching) or with a Vue plane depending on your needs for the shot.

Use a 360 pano render from Vue for reflections and whatnot.

Transfer the camera over to Vue with the vuesynch plugin and render all the background material (sky, mountains etc) that way. Sometimes you can get away with using the 360 pano image as a background plate for your LW renders (much faster), again it just depends on your needs for the shot.

Phil
10-19-2010, 07:42 AM
Rendered out a short to see, and it does seem to be working. I took the AA down to 70% quality (9/16;optimized; automatic) disabled multi-frame AA, and rendered out a bunch of bushes with the camera moving from left to right about 4' from the ground which normally requires me to kick the AA up to 100% to eliminate the grainy flickering.

No flicker at all, although the bushes do look a bit softer. Also I noticed that it took longer to render than I would have thought using 70% quality so I think that it must be dynamically allocating more AA to clean the bad areas up. Makes for a more efficient scene though since the terrain that doesn't really need as much AA doesn't get it but the plants do.

Nice. It will be nice to get an upgrade for Vue that doesn't immediately disappoint by either crashing or performing so slowly that the shiny features aren't worth much. :thumbsup:

Phil
10-20-2010, 01:07 AM
Annoyingly, I cannot get Vue 9 to see the content and now all the scenes have vanished from the open scene selector. Atmospheres, etc. are there. Bugger.

I do like what I see of it so far, though.

Andyjaggy
10-21-2010, 09:18 AM
So they just applied a blur and called it flicker reduction. Nice. :)

clagman
10-21-2010, 09:38 AM

Hahaha! But man, it's a very proprietary and algorythmic blur.

Phil
10-22-2010, 05:39 AM

I don't know yet, to be honest. I've been reluctant to install the LW plugin because my machine is crunching numbers using Vue 8.5 xStream (and has been for several days, not due to Vue, but due to Dynamite *sigh*)

I'm hoping to get some time to play with it at the weekend, if this frame completes.

I'm mainly concerned about how e-on / Vue handle scenes and settings from a previous version. Since they don't version their plugin name, it's impossible to have a side-by-side Vue xStream install in LW (it seems that they decided to keep the Vue7xStream plugin name for legacy reasons). It's really not clear if a fallback Vue 8.x mode is engaged for Vue 8.x content or whether everything gets mapped into 9.x (and breaks the continuity of look). I'd also hate to overwrite the 8.x plugin with a 9.x update in one or more apps if I forgot that, say, Maya was running with the 8.5 plugin and LW was running with the 9.0 plugin.

I've got a support ticket open for this, but only received a "we're looking into it" answer up to now.

Andyjaggy
10-25-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm still using version 6.0. Yikes. I am no longer a student and simply can't justify the cost for a program I only use on personal projects now. Besides you get to a point where you have figured out all the bugs in a particular version and are hesitant to upgrade and introduce new ones. :)

virtualcomposer
10-25-2010, 01:28 PM
wonder if I could do an animated eco scene on my new Macbook Pro i5 without having a render hang-up.

jrandom
02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Any word on how well Vue 9 xStream plays with Lightwave 10 (64-bit, mac)?

I was incredibly disappointed by the shortcoming in 8 and am reluctant to spend the money necessary to upgrade to 9.

Phil
02-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Seems to work very nicely here, including with VPR. The only downside really is that it's difficult to change mid-project because the entire cloud system appears to have changed, radically altering the look of atmospheres designed for Vue 8.5

That's mildly irritating, but other than that, it does work fine for me up to now.

clagman
02-02-2011, 05:00 AM
+1. Best update so far.

jrandom
02-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Dammit, now I have to go spend money. :)

ChristianC
02-09-2011, 08:12 AM
For me to install vue 9 has a plugin for lightwave 10 was ... impossible!!

Vue can't find the lightwave 10 application. Well of course, there's no lightwave.exe in there!!

And yes I updated my vue 9 application, still can't install in lightwave 10. Any advice, if I change the name of let see,.. layout, would it affect the software itself?? Please help!!!:help:

Phil
02-09-2011, 11:04 AM
The installer is looking for the original program names and also the original location of the plugins before NewTek rearranged everything in 10 (compared to 9.6)

e-on didn't have enough time to respond to this, along with other vendors, before their own products shipped. Generally, if you can install the older 9.6 release, you can then simply pull the plugin in to the LW 10 folder and add it as normal.

Doubtless NT debated the wisdom of this change extensively before making it, but it's a shame that they didn't publicise this well in advance. Vue is not the only application affected - all renderfarm software and configuration is also broken with this LW change.

Phil
03-21-2011, 09:06 AM
The installer is looking for the original program names and also the original location of the plugins before NewTek rearranged everything in 10 (compared to 9.6)

For infornation, this has been addressed in a post-release update. The SharedSupport bodge is not necessary anymore and there are updated standalone plugin installers (released to provide support for Autodesk 2012 products) available from software update that contain the very latest and greatest plugins. I am not sure if they are yet available for customers not under maintenance.

Interestingly, there are also separate .plugins for LW10 and 9.6 (they used to be identical, but a recent update seems to have changed things, on Mac at least, so that the 9.6 plugin doesn't contain the 64-bit implementation).