PDA

View Full Version : A call to artists

TheDeacon
10-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Hey guys.. what gives?

Even though SIGGRAPH has passed, that doesn't mean we don't want to see your work.....

Videos, images, whatever. Share it all!

details HERE (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108001)

Intuition
10-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Sigh, seriously. I know you are probably tired of seeing me add posts to this topic in different areas. None the less. I think you would ultimately do much better if you just made a top row gallery. Not only would it encourage artists to post new images in the image section but it would also show that the NT forum constantly has activity based on the new pics that show up weekly.

Even news updates could be added to this top row.

Look at the attached.

You have new images every day sometimes and the news blurbs get mixed in.

It creates a sense of activity at a site. That your software has it "goin on".

Please consider this advice. You can see the top row in any thread and any section. It helps link users to different areas of the site that they may not be aware of. Also Forums are much more visited then product pages and front pages so these top row links can be a valuable way of directing possible customers.

Seriously. This obvious and easy addition is so effortless to add while creating substantial net traffic direction.

Can I get a community bump if you agree. Please push NT to do this.

nickdigital
10-12-2010, 01:17 PM

+1
Bump!

GandB
10-12-2010, 01:19 PM
As before; I totally agree with Intuition.

oliversimonnet
10-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Bump +1 :)

scratch33
10-12-2010, 01:28 PM
+1

A good galerie is the best way to go.

Traveler
10-12-2010, 01:29 PM
I have to agree. The first (and usually only) thing I do at cgtalk is to check out the new works promoted through the front page.

So yeah, +1 from me as well :thumbsup:

Nangleator
10-12-2010, 01:34 PM
+1. It's what attracted me to fora in the first place.

bazsa73
10-12-2010, 01:48 PM
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000

Ztreem
10-12-2010, 02:25 PM
+1

cresshead
10-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1, Bump+1,

are we getting the hint yet?

seriously, newtek web chappies..what's the negative of this?
why not exactly?

if it's "moderation" give some peeps moderation rights to make sure SPAM doesn't arrive

Kuzey
10-12-2010, 02:31 PM
another +1 from me.

Have a section for the speed challenges as well. There's always something cool going on....that the rest of the community might not see :hey:

Kuzey

ArtGoblin
10-12-2010, 02:42 PM
+1 here.... the activity on the NT forum is much more than on SQ I think, not that I'm bashing SQ (has been my favurate forum for a long time now), but It "feels" like it's more happening on Spinquad for becouse they have frontpage highlights like this... it just works really well so I encourage you to try this here on NT as well.

ArtGoblin
10-12-2010, 02:44 PM
another +1 from me.

Have a section for the speed challenges as well. There's always something cool going on....that the rest of the community might not see :hey:

Kuzey

:i_agree:

rezman
10-12-2010, 03:07 PM
" you would ultimately do much better if you just made a top row gallery."

That is a brilliant idea, and very easy to implement...listen to your users. A lesson in crowdsourcing.

speismonqui
10-12-2010, 03:27 PM
have to agree with artgobling here, new images on the SpinQuad header forum has always been great! and kept me visiting it almost everyday.

+1

_F9_
10-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Ummm...yeah.

+1

4dartist
10-12-2010, 03:53 PM
I agree with the idea of gallery up top. +1

silviotoledo
10-12-2010, 04:01 PM
agreed :)!

We need a banner with the new gallery submissions :) like in SPINQUAD!

adk
10-12-2010, 04:17 PM
+1 :thumbsup:

UltraViolet
10-12-2010, 04:21 PM
I have to agree. The first (and usually only) thing I do at cgtalk is to check out the new works promoted through the front page.

So yeah, +1 from me as well :thumbsup:

Same here :thumbsup:

RebelHill
10-12-2010, 04:25 PM
can i get a +1 with that??...

TheDeacon
10-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Sigh, seriously. I know you are probably tired of seeing me add posts to this topic in different areas. None the less. I think you would ultimately do much better if you just made a top row gallery. Not only would it encourage artists to post new images in the image section but it would also show that the NT forum constantly has activity based on the new pics that show up weekly.

Even news updates could be added to this top row.

Look at the attached.

You have new images every day sometimes and the news blurbs get mixed in.

It creates a sense of activity at a site. That your software has it "goin on".

Please consider this advice. You can see the top row in any thread and any section. It helps link users to different areas of the site that they may not be aware of. Also Forums are much more visited then product pages and front pages so these top row links can be a valuable way of directing possible customers.

Seriously. This obvious and easy addition is so effortless to add while creating substantial net traffic direction.

I get tons of emails explaining how easy this addition would be.. but no actual explanations of HOW to do it. The website, the forums, the gallery, are all evolving into something different.. it may not be as fast as you may like, but these changes are happening. If you have a sure-fire, super quick, star-wars-button kind of way to add a top row to the NewTek discussion forums and maintain the integrity and security of this site, PLEASE share the info. Even though I'm not the guy who will implement it, I would at least be able to share the information with the people that could. Seriously.

please email these instructions to me at [email protected]

now.. how 'bout some artwork?

Nicolas Jordan
10-12-2010, 04:43 PM
+1, it's really nice to see whats new at a glance.

Intuition
10-12-2010, 05:20 PM
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/95_gal.php

So what magical star wars button was pressed for this gallery?

I mean, make the thumbnails smaller and make only one row. Then update it with news blurbs and new images once a week. I guess I can call my web buddy who designed the EdenFX.com website.

RebelHill
10-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Ive only ever tinkered...

but could it not be added as part of the header with stylevar?

Chris S. (Fez)
10-12-2010, 06:32 PM

:beerchug:

realgray
10-12-2010, 08:45 PM
+1

Spinquad runs on vbulletin so a top row is possible with this forum.

WilliamVaughan
10-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Fort what it's worth...

I paid a programmer to write the code to make the top row work on SQ... it's not a simple plugin.

biliousfrog
10-13-2010, 06:56 AM
You're asking us how to create a gallery so that you can tell the web guys how to do it?

If it means paying a programmer to do it then so be it, the costs involved would probably soon be recouped by the sales generated by the activity on here.

Yesterday I took part in a creative industries convention, a guy that produces music videos asked what software I use and then, with a puzzled look on his face, said, "do they still make that?...it's still updated then?...I assumed that it died off years ago"...that's what you're up against.

Newtek is renowned for hyping new features and ignoring old flaws...LW10 and CORE promo's are important but don't ignore the importance of a modern, thriving, online, user community

Myagi
10-13-2010, 09:13 AM
if it gets added, can I put in a request for making it an option in the user settings so it can be disabled (I like my forum pages to be clean and simple, as in not a bunch of images or even worse flash content) :D

OnlineRender
10-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Fort what it's worth...

I paid a programmer to write the code to make the top row work on SQ... it's not a simple plugin.

I know I looked at the source code :P , you could create a simple css table and add image html code your alternative method, although I don't know if NT will go for this , its means spending $60 , to add the lightbox pluggin to the vbulletin board .

surely 1 person at NT knows how to code :D . .

I like NT forums , there functional and there's a lot of stuff working in the background . .

Nicolas Jordan
10-13-2010, 10:48 AM
+1

Spinquad runs on vbulletin so a top row is possible with this forum.

Yep, there are many forums that use vbulletin that have some kind of gallery row images at the top of the forum.

cresshead
10-13-2010, 12:16 PM
i tell ya what...WHEN this feature arrives we all better get our butts moving and post up some cool images!

Intuition
10-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Fort what it's worth...

No one is saying its a simple plug in. What I am pointing out is self evident.

Every other cg forum on the planet has one. Its so hard and difficult that everone else has figured it out.

Its not extremely difficult either. My buddy Alex (edenfx) does these kinds of things with his eyes close and three hands tied behind his back.

http://ofsoundandvision.com/

You just need a web centric guy is all.

Intuition
10-13-2010, 12:46 PM
i tell ya what...WHEN this feature arrives we all better get our butts moving and post up some cool images!

You know, if one shows up I'll fire up some LW and make a pretty image. ;D

WilliamVaughan
10-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Let's recap this thread....

A NewTek employee creates a thread requesting LW work to help promote the software...

and once again it gets turned into yet another thread to request something that has been requested a hundred times.

this community shows very little respect imho.

GandB
10-13-2010, 12:59 PM
You're kidding right? It's these very artists who bring interest to Lightwave itself, right? All that's being asked for, is something that is on nearly all other boards that artists contribute to. Otherwise, they'll just keep posting work on other boards. I see no disrespect at all; where is that coming from? Seriously...

WilliamVaughan
10-13-2010, 01:00 PM
You're kidding right? It's these very artists who bring interest to Lightwave itself, right? All that's being asked for, is something that is on nearly all other boards that artists contribute to. Otherwise, they'll just keep posting work on other boards. I see no disrespect at all; where is that coming from? Seriously...

Having a top row on the boards has nothing to do with what this thread is about... NewTek is requesting samples... the top row only shows what is already on the forums...

2 completely different things

if people need a top row in order to create work.. as mentioned in this thread... that is sad.

biliousfrog
10-13-2010, 01:10 PM
and once again it gets turned into yet another thread to request something that has been requested a hundred times.

That's kinda the point, it has been requested hundreds of times and nothing has happened.

Images get handed over, they get posted somewhere on the LW site, nobody here looks at them because most of us only read the forums. Images get posted into the gallery section on here, few people look at them because it's rarely updated and you don't get much feedback. Look at pretty much every other CG site and they have a thriving community posting images to the gallery and new visitors instantly get to see what's hot...it's not disrespectful to point that out.

WilliamVaughan
10-13-2010, 01:13 PM
.it's not disrespectful to point that out.

in a separate thread I would be in full agreement... hijacking a thread IS disrespectful. This is a classic example of hijacking a thread... it gets old and I see it happen to NewTek employees all the time.

That is my point.

my last post in this thread... I dont want to continue adding to this mess.

GandB
10-13-2010, 01:13 PM
if people need a top row in order to create work.. as mentioned in this thread... that is sad.

Apparently you're the only one with that opinion.

People here were asked where their art postings are; and they replied with the reasons they don't post as much here. Not really a hijack, in my opinion.

I also seem to remember a thread where a request to make the smilies that have hideous white borders here, replaced with ones already configured by another member. That thread went unanswered by NewTek to this day. That was a member trying to help out, without a reply one by NT. I suspect a thread soley created for the purpose of a top-bar would meet the same fate.

WilliamVaughan
10-13-2010, 01:20 PM

People here were asked where their art postings are; and they replied with the reasons they don't post as much here. Not really a hijack, in my opinion.

so I lied... this is my last post...

I hope one day you go back a re read the first line of your post and really digest what you're saying here.

and as far as what this thread was originally about... you must not have read the post... he was not requesting that anyone post on the forums.... not sure where you got that from.

enjoy!

TheDeacon
10-13-2010, 01:22 PM

I also seem to remember a thread where a request to make the smilies that have hideous white borders here, replaced with ones already configured by another member. That thread went unanswered by NewTek to this day. That was a member trying to help out, without a reply one by NT. I suspect a thread soley created for the purpose of a top-bar would meet the same fate.

actually, I recieved one email about how to change the smileys- and sent an email back thanking that person, and looked into it. unfortunately, it's not a priority. plain and simple. life will have to go on, hideous white borders or not. one day they will get fixed... or there may not be a need to fix... in the end.. what is really important?

paulhart
10-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Interesting, as I waded through the posting on this one, not necessarily intending to post, one of the comments caught me. I have been using Lightwave for years, visit and contribute to this forum also, but I never go to the Gallery on this forum. I routinely do so on Spinquad, CGTalk, ZBrush, SetupTab, and contribute encouragement and comments to the submissions (Blender, not so much, why??, their recent artwork is on the right side, less extensive). The difference, top shelf latest postings of images of quality, shows activity, invites attention. By the way, where is this mythical gallery that may/may not have recent images... I have heard tell of a place, far, far away, assumed it to be of legends only...
FYI, I had always thought the Newtek had too much valuable real estate at top/masthead that is empty. What about using it to display the thumbnail images there. It is currently unused????
Paul
Alright, put up or "shut up," so here you go with a mockup. I had to go find the gallery..., very nice, but as others have stated, I usually hangout here on the forum. The thumbnails would generate traffic over to the main site via the forum link to the gallery...http://www.hartworks.net/lightwave/forum_mockup.png

GandB
10-13-2010, 01:55 PM
unfortunately, it's not a priority. plain and simple. life will have to go on, hideous white borders or not. one day they will get fixed... or there may not be a need to fix... in the end.. what is really important?
Not sure about Vbulletin Boards; but SMF boards take about all of a few minutes to exchange smiley sets (assuming they are set up in a package). Never said it was a priority, but it was a shame that the user was ignored on the open Forum Boards...we aren't privy to those emails of yours. ;)

I understood where Deacon wanted the artwork at, William; but, as has been laid out here, people tend to visit the forums more than the Gallery. We're trying to tell him what works at other popular places; you do want Lightwave/NewTek to keep up with these other places, correct?

We thought it was a simple request (maybe not so much in implementation), that would have the maximum payoff for both NewTek, and the actual artist who's work is shown. If it's only shown in a single place that doesn't get much traffic, why bother? But now we're getting friction and flack instead. The NewTek Boards sure have gotten a bit nasty these days; what happened?

Just forget it then; it's not worth the effort. I'll go be "disrespectful" somewhere else.

COBRASoft
10-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Take Iains last picture of the workplace. Now that's a fine render!

OnlineRender
10-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Take Iains last picture of the workplace. Now that's a fine render!

+1 Stunning Render .

Bad Karma on the boards ," Everybody be cool ,this a F Robbery ", William this is NT forums of course it :hijack: ! ,why else would we have the need for these superbly designed smiles .
:rock:

+1 for Iain

@Paul Nice concept ,goes well , but since your there , wanna design a skin that works LOL :)

Kuzey
10-13-2010, 02:28 PM
It's true, most of the threads can go off topic or get high jacked...specially in the "General Discussion" & "LW - Community" sections. It's a funny thing and has become part of the Newtek forum experience.

Kuzey

Amurrell
10-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Next time post and lock. I'm actually tired of all the BS, and log on once in a great while because of it. Nothing constructive, always destructive.

Traveler
10-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Seems to me things are heating up where they really should not. I'm sure that in the end we all mean well, right?
Anyway, Intuition made a fair point, with convincing arguments I admit, about a top header gallery. I'm pretty sure everyone both member as well as NT employee is going to agree with that. However, and I'm with Mr Vaughan here, the purpose of this thread was not about what constitutes as a proper place to advertise how insanely talented some of us are.

To reply properly to the original post: I will, when I have something that's good enough.

Cageman
10-13-2010, 03:14 PM

Quoted for 100% agreement!

Top row in LW-forums and on www.newtek.com, there should be a spot where these top row images are shown, with a link to the forums. Also, if one click on any of the top row images (both on www.newtek.com as well as the top row in the forums), you end up at the thread where the image was posted.

It IS important that www.newtek.com have this kind of colleration with the forum toprows.

:)

Dexter2999
10-13-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm not trying to slam anyone here. Just saying.

The thread is asking for people to submit works to be featured.
The reply is in effect "I don't think you feature works prominently enough."

The mock up of the forum with the gallery at the top looks great...if you are a LW user. But the forums are made up of other Newtek product users who may not care about LW at all. And perhaps it is the opinion of management to keep the forums as an unbiased area for all Newtek customers.

Just sayin'

Intuition
10-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Next time post and lock. I'm actually tired of all the BS, and log on once in a great while because of it. Nothing constructive, always destructive.

Man, all I am asking is for a feature that benefits NT and Deacon.

This simple feature would direct traffic (main forum) to the areas they want traffic (gallery, news blurbs).

It sounds like I am being this picky customer but in all reality this has nothing to do with my needs at all. I rarely use LW much anymore. Its like an old friend I break out for fun here and there. But I do notice how well Evermotion, The Area, CG talk, etc. all direct traffic to buy thier books, tutorial dvd's, and software apps etc. I figure NT should jump on this 6+ year old bandwagon.

They do this by having a forum where there is a top row.

This top row does a few things to a casual surfer.

Highlights current news, activity, around the community.

By seeing it updated often there is a sense of immmediacy of current events. It gives possible new customers looking for 3d software the idea that the software in question has a serious active community.

Top row not only highlights nice work (what we are using the software to make) but it also shows new releases by 3rd party developers and new blurbs for prucahse deals and other things like dvd tutorials.

I find it amazing that anyone would construe my request as being mean. In all honestly Don't do it. Let your competitors have the egde. Lock the thread.... by all means.

Meanwhile there is a Giger interview, a NDO plugin and a sketch of the week at Cgtalk.

How do I know this? Well I surely wouldnt have found all that stuff in the different areas of cg talk. its huge. But the top row keeps me informed and helps me find the important stuff. Oh, and its like a news marquee. I know whats happening NOW.

:D

Intuition
10-13-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm not trying to slam anyone here. Just saying.

The thread is asking for people to submit works to be featured.
The reply is in effect "I don't think you feature works prominently enough."

The mock up of the forum with the gallery at the top looks great...if you are a LW user. But the forums are made up of other Newtek product users who may not care about LW at all. And perhaps it is the opinion of management to keep the forums as an unbiased area for all Newtek customers.

Just sayin'

So some of the top row blurbs could be about other NT products. cgtalk has top row items that are about all software from all the companies as well as books, dvds, etc.

Its all pro NT marketing ideas. like the siggraph presentation.

cresshead
10-13-2010, 05:05 PM
pokes it with a stick....(Hmmm)
note sure..
maybe i need to take the whip it again just in case it's not dead.
:D

http://www.permaculture.org.au/images/flogging_dead_horse.jpg

GandB
10-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Yeah....uh....just see the post below this. ;)

GandB
10-13-2010, 06:05 PM
I prefer this version myself: Dead Horse Beating (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IU1bzZheWk)

I'd also like to say that I wouldn't bother, if I didn't care about NewTek and the great people here. So don't take what I say too personally. Having said that; since it doesn't seem to be a priority, I won't bother rocking the boat.

:thumbsup:

BlueApple
10-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Deacon,

Do members need to actively submit content to you, or can you collect images from the speed modeling challenges, current gallery (http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=207), etc on your own?

Could any content uploaded to the site legally be placed in a gallery section without the artist's explicit consent? I only raise this because if you can grab content yourself, there is already a huge pool of artwork on the site right now. By "snatching" it you wouldn't get full artist credits, explicit permission to be in a gallery, etc., but you would have a host of current LightWave generated art.

To answer your thread question directly, when my NDA expires in a few years I can send stuff your way :)

-Adam

TheDeacon
10-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Deacon,

Do members need to actively submit content to you, or can you collect images from the speed modeling challenges, current gallery (http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=207), etc on your own?

Could any content uploaded to the site legally be placed in a gallery section without the artist's explicit consent? I only raise this because if you can grab content yourself, there is already a huge pool of artwork on the site right now. By "snatching" it you wouldn't get full artist credits, explicit permission to be in a gallery, etc., but you would have a host of current LightWave generated art.

To answer your thread question directly, when my NDA expires in a few years I can send stuff your way :)

-Adam

yes, i do "snatch" content from the site, but i really do like getting stuff in the mail that i may have missed... i also like using work that an artist feels is their best, and have a little bit of information on the piece, as well. having personal information like names, email addresses, and what it took to make the image makes it easy to contact the artist when interested third parties want to know more about them.

for instance, this week a publication asked me for pieces of art that they wanted to use for a "LightWave portfolio," and referenced a specific list of work that they found on the gallery, and supplied the names of the artists. I was then able to supply them with Hi-Res versions of the work, AND by using the contact info, I was able to contact these artists so that they may answer a few questions supplied by the publication. in the end, something that could have taken days, took a single afternoon to get done. it saved me some time and we didn't miss an opportunity to plug some of the great LightWave artists from all over the globe. without you guys, we wouldn't have a way to show how awesome our product is.

until we change our current setup- which i hope to have happen sometime in the near future(*rrrrrttt* i know, broken record...), where the process for submitting and displaying artwork will be automated and more interactive.. i'm working with the tools i've got.

David (trying to turn that broken record into an awesome beat to put on a mixtape that will win the heart of the industry.)

paulhart
10-28-2010, 06:55 PM
I created a "hack" at the vbulletin code to create a gallery section at top of the page, much like the mock up I posted earlier on this same thread. Not all of the CSS in this mock up is correct, as I am just doing this "on the fly" and hosting on my own site, but I wanted to demonstrate functionality. Note that any of the clickable images across the top will take the user to the Gallery and introduce them to the rest of the Newtek line. I also included a "favicon" which is curiously missing from the forum pages and Newtek pages. I could have made the images "square" and line up more of them, but that is just icing, what is needed is the display and functionality. Take a look and let me and (Newtek) know that this would help you to visit the Gallery and maybe contribute.
Paul
http://www.hartworks.net/lightwave/search.php.htm

OnlineRender
10-28-2010, 07:02 PM
I could do with a hand !

http://www.3djunkies.com

Intuition
10-28-2010, 07:05 PM
I created a "hack" at the vbulletin code to create a gallery section at top of the page, much like the mock up I posted earlier on this same thread. Not all of the CSS in this mock up is correct, as I am just doing this "on the fly" and hosting on my own site, but I wanted to demonstrate functionality. Note that any of the clickable images across the top will take the user to the Gallery and introduce them to the rest of the Newtek line. I also included a "favicon" which is curiously missing from the forum pages and Newtek pages. I could have made the images "square" and line up more of them, but that is just icing, what is needed is the display and functionality. Take a look and let me and (Newtek) know that this would help you to visit the Gallery and maybe contribute.
Paul
http://www.hartworks.net/lightwave/search.php.htm

BRAVO!

Yes thats exactly it.

Those images could be links to the gallery, to image threads in the forum gallery.... or even news blurbs about lightwave, tricaster, etc.

Nice example Paul. :D I'd do more images across but heck, even 4 slots, updated often, helps that feeling of site/community activity and the "in the now" software is being used daily motif.

Hopefully this eventually gets added to the nT forum. It really is a standard marketing/news/activity tool for both sellers and buyers. Both benefit from its simplicity.