PDA

View Full Version : Logo fonts?

Cryonic
10-12-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm trying to work on a company logo and was wondering what fonts people like to use for the general text?

OnlineRender
10-12-2010, 04:38 AM
Hmm can be a tuff choice , for several reasons , text readability , typography , make sure you have the rights to the font , that's one thing people do not take into consideration , make sure you can legally use the font .

m0184you
10-12-2010, 05:54 AM
It's simple.
Do it in 2D, and if you happy with results you could make it in a 3D.
The logo is good no matter 2D or 3D, good designer/3d artist knows that.

Here are some rules for creating a good logo.
Logo Rules (http://tannerchristensen.com/rules-for-logo-design/)

Study, explore, make your logos, color them, make it 3D, it's simple.
You could chose whatever font (if needed by a license) you consider adequate or you could make your one.

Study 2D logos and then you could easily make it in 3D space.
Example Logopond (http://logopond.com/)

Cheers!

Cryonic
10-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Thank you for the advice. I created a temporary logo that is pretty basic for the client. Will probably spend some more time on it later when other tasks are finished up.

Hopper
10-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Hmm can be a tuff choice , for several reasons , text readability , typography , make sure you have the rights to the font , that's one thing people do not take into consideration , make sure you can legally use the font .
And if it IS copyrighted ... Bring it into Illustrator or any other vector graphics package, convert it into curves, change up a few points and voila... custom font. :) Works like a charm. We did it at IBM for the Marimba Java project when "The Font Company" wouldn't let us use their font that we rightfully purchased the rights to. It was for the software packaging. One of our brilliant legal staff thought it would be a great idea just to make sure and ask them what exactly the "rights" to the font were. That started a sh*t storm with them. If he would have just kept his mouth shut, it would have been a non-event.

We didn't feel like pursuing any litigation, so we simply eliminated the need.

Titus
10-13-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm trying to work on a company logo and was wondering what fonts people like to use for the general text?

Helvetica.

JeffrySG
10-14-2010, 11:41 AM

Asking that is like asking what to name your new baby. You need to think about what faces will represent the company well - not what faces people use for logos. And I also agree that you should develop a logo that works in black and white first. If you need then to make a flashy version in 3d, ok, but the logo should really be perfect on it's own in 2d.

Good luck! :)

Dexter2999
10-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Arial
Arial Black

I have thousands of fonts on my system and find that less than 2% of them make for good video. A fine font or one that is extremely irregular are just tough on the eyes to make out in video but may be beautiful for print work where there are no issues of movement or time limitations for recognition/interpretation of what a person is seeing.

I find clean fat beefy fonts (there are a number of them out there) work best for video.

Hope this helps.

Cryonic
10-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Asking that is like asking what to name your new baby. You need to think about what faces will represent the company well - not what faces people use for logos. And I also agree that you should develop a logo that works in black and white first. If you need then to make a flashy version in 3d, ok, but the logo should really be perfect on it's own in 2d.

Good luck! :)

I started working on it in Illustrator, but being relatively unfamiliar with it I decided to play with the creation of the logo in LW instead. I'm not trying for anything flashy at this point, just a single still that shows the logo well :)

Intuition
10-15-2010, 11:49 AM
http://www.writedesignonline.com/resources/design/rules/index.html

An oldie but will always be relavant. Sadly the design of the webpage is bad. ;) The rules shine through. Read up.

Go watch the documentary. "Helvetica".

Practice design with other san serif fonts besides helvetica as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_typefaces#Sans_serif

When you get good at the basics... then move on to other fonts, color, shape combinations.

My favorite font is called engravers gothic, used in my avatar/logo. At a glance it looks like bank gothic but is much better. Engravers has rounded letters where bank gothic has tight corners.

Want to hear a funny story?

I was on a design forum like 6-7 years ago. A guy gives me this same question about fonts and logos because he was trying to come up with a logo for a women's razor product. I give him the same advice.

About 3 momths later I see a TV as for a schick razorblade called Intuition. This same logo you see in my avatar was the same one I used back then (since 1999). I found the logo on the ad had a different font but... in all seemed to take some ques from my idea.

Coincidence? Maybe.

Anyways, my point is. In design you can't help but borrow but try to minimize it while also make the design your own.