PDA

View Full Version : volumetric light help

JeffrySG
10-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Hi all. I don't ever use volumetric lights but I need to 'scale' up a volumetric light for a current project I'm trying to finish. Here is a light I'm trying to use. I like the way it looks but I'm trying to 'scale' it up so it fits the scale of my model. I need it to be 31m radius and to be about 115m in height. I've tried to scale up the different settings but it does not render correctly. I've scaled up the vol light radius and height and also tried to adjust the size of the dots in the texture but nothing is doing it. I basically want it to look the way it does but much larger but I can't really get it to scale in the radius correctly. I think I'm getting the height.

Any help would be great!!

This is pretty much what I want it to look like at the larger size.

I'm in need of a cool looking jet/ship thrust look, just fyi.

Thanks!!!

crashnburn
10-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi,

I downloaded your scene and had a look. I created a null and used that as a reference object in the dots texture and scaled the node up which scaled up the volumetric light but some detail was lost.

crashnburn
10-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Got this, lost detail, but maybe the way to go.

JeffrySG
10-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Got this, lost detail, but maybe the way to go.

Thanks for giving it a try. I've had some success by trying to build it from scratch rather than scale up the one I had. It's not working perfectly but it's getting me closer.

I might just use a painted texture glow map rather than volumetrics for now just to get it done.