PDA

View Full Version : Full Parallax 3D TV

erikals
10-10-2010, 07:47 PM
 
very cool "true" 3D :]
you can move around the TV and see it in 3D :]
(is also glasses-free)
http://hd.engadget.com/2009/10/16/hitachi-exhibits-10-inch-glasses-free-3d-display/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYr3lz_kGDM&feature=player_embedded

 

OnlineRender
10-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Glad you mentioned this saves me starting a new thread ....

I need more info on Autostereoscopy :) like N3DS

no LMGTFY links please :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereoscopy

biliousfrog
10-11-2010, 07:54 AM
The problem I see with that Hitachi example is that it isn't showing moving images so it might as well be a holographic poster. Until I see some 3D moving content I'll remain sceptical.

voriax
10-11-2010, 07:58 AM
No offence to anybody who has bought a current model 3d tv requiring glasses, but .. seriously .. that was only ever going to be a temporary step in the so-called 3dtv revolution. People will look back at the glasses and say "what were they thinking?".

I'm not sure exactly what tech is going to end up being the standard for non-glasses 3d but I'm sure it won't take long to work out. Then of course the next step will be more than two images to make up the 3d image and the two-image sets will be a laughing stock. You can never win, really. :)

erikals
10-11-2010, 08:25 AM
more than 2 images won't work unless you use the parallax method that hitachi shows.

biliousfrog, if they showed a moving image, it would be,... a moving image, that would make it very difficult for "online" "2D" viewers to see the effect...
i seriously doubt it's a fraud, especially considering they use a ton of projectors (16) and a 10-inch 3D display...

biliousfrog
10-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Sure, I don't believe it to be a fraud, just not convinced that it's anything more than a gimmick

erikals
10-11-2010, 08:55 AM
the cool thing is that they made it work, so it shows some great potential,
and i'm sure they will make it near "flawless" in the future.

the problem of course is that it will be quite some time before this hits the market.
...unfortunately

T-Light
10-11-2010, 08:30 PM
ericals -

especially considering they use a ton of projectors (16) and a 10-inch 3D display
Good grief.

So 16 seperate renders for a single frame of true 3D and I'm guessing that's nowhere near enough to be convincing on a large high res screen.

erikals
10-11-2010, 08:57 PM
you're probably right... some interpolation method could be used, but still...
16, that's only 8 to the right and 8 to the left,...

a better method would be yo use turning mirrors, i've read it is quite do-able.
(also, an alternative could be bendable fiber-optics)
it would also actually cut down the need for projectors, the video streams follows you, instead of you following the videos. (it should work for LCD screens as well)

so if you're only one person moving /viewing, there should be only one projector needed.

the biggest problem is the multiple video streams, which will be huuge. (Terrabytes)
(though 3D games, or even realtime generated 3D movies, mostly cartoons, could cut this data considerably down)

 

cyroz
10-14-2010, 01:21 AM
It seems quite interesting, but a bit small.
But how it differs from autostereoscopic solutions? (We use alioscopy displays (8 cams)here atwork and are testing spatial view/wazabee (5 cams))

BTW can't wait to have the 3ds in hands to see it in action....

Red_Oddity
10-14-2010, 01:44 AM
I fear technology like alioscopy, problem is DOPs already manage to frack up stereoscopy with 2 cameras, let alone 8 cameras.

As for wazabee, did they find a more elegant solution to the endless trouble of needing to slide the screen up and down for pretty much every little thing you need to do?
I thought it was a neat idea, but a complete and utter rubbish accessory for a touch only device.

Hieron
10-21-2010, 05:10 PM
No offence to anybody who has bought a current model 3d tv requiring glasses, but .. seriously .. that was only ever going to be a temporary step in the so-called 3dtv revolution. People will look back at the glasses and say "what were they thinking?".

I'm not sure exactly what tech is going to end up being the standard for non-glasses 3d but I'm sure it won't take long to work out. Then of course the next step will be more than two images to make up the 3d image and the two-image sets will be a laughing stock. You can never win, really. :)

We got 2 eyes, there's a lot to say for 2 images to make a 3D image. Unless you go full holographic ofcourse, but that's just like saying black and white TV is the laughing stock. Any in between solutions of more than 2 images and or no glasses, were utterly inferior. imho

The new 3DTV sets on the market now, ain't that bad. There's terribly little content, sure. Not much of a problem if you can make the content (gap in the market) or use games that generate it no sweat.

Won't take long to find a glasses free solution? "a" solution is easy. Plenty out there yet. A solution that doesn't have massive downsides that by far outweigh the positives? heh My bet is still that Ray Ban comes up with kick ***, slick looking glasses and people won't bother as much.

Often the actual downsides to no glasses and having 2+ views are neglected. It's just not for everyone yet, which is fine. I like it, and love making content for it.

ps: those 8 view solutions like Alioscopy: HD is finally accepted and taken for granted, and then they spread HD resolution over 8 views. Usually that little part is forgotten to mention. Good luck seeing detail reading text on that.. It has its uses I guess, but in many cases a nicely printed paper set of glasses would work out just as well, be cheaper and form a info card/promotional thing. Ofcourse, for some instances the "ow wow does that have some depth" is nice, without giving a "warning" such as some glasses. If the Alioscopy is anywhere like the Philips WOWVX was.. bleh @ quality.

silviotoledo
10-23-2010, 04:00 AM
More than 2 images??????????????????????

Oh Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

No! No! No! No!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and about rendertime?

And about compositing?

Oh my god! please don't!

LazyCoder
10-27-2010, 03:00 PM
I don't get it... if it has "face tracking", does that mean only one person can watch it at a time???

shrox
10-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Doesn't 3D television end up looking like a motion diorama, a scene in a box? Kind of tiny?

crashnburn
10-27-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm getting really fedup up with all these new technologies. They brought out HD ready TV's that weren't really true HD because they only had 768 lines. Then they brought out the 1080p etc TV's. Now they want us to dump all that and pay through the nose for 3D. Well here's one that wont be. How many titles are there in 3D on bluray?

Hieron
10-28-2010, 05:20 AM
I wouldn't buy one for movies atm, I think very few are around and some of those are derived 3D from actual 2D footage (yikes).

But for gaming i't is actually quite nice and to make content for ofc. After all, a 3D package allows us to do just that.

LazyCoder
10-29-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm tempted to get a 3d monitor for when Crysis 2 comes out! (PC of course) :D

evolross
10-29-2010, 09:51 PM
What about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-JEQHS23L4&feature=related

It's some (spoiled) guy that has a MAME setup with a 3D plasma and runs all those arcade games in 3D with glasses. What software is putting all those games into 3D automatically? Is that something that comes with the 3D TV or from the 3D PC game world?

erikals
11-02-2010, 04:26 PM
anyone heard about microsoft 3c ?
(glasses free...)

LazyCoder
11-04-2010, 10:03 PM
anyone heard about microsoft 3c ?
(glasses free...)

3d I think you meant. Yea it's glasses free, but it sounds like its one of those stupid track the viewer systems, so basically only one person can watch at a time. :twak:

erikals
11-05-2010, 11:47 AM
just saw, it actually works with multiple persons, sorta, see video 2 in this link :]

sorta... :]
http://www.physorg.com/news195657981.html