PDA

View Full Version : Two Versions :One Machine?

@NiM8R
10-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Is it possible or advisable to have both v9.6 and v10 64 bit versions of LW installed on the same machine? Of course, I wouldn't have both open at the same time, but I would like to access v9.6 for some modeling operations for the time being. I appreciate any ones feedback. - Cheers!

nickdigital
10-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Yes, you can have all the different LW versions installed on your box. Just make sure you have separate shortcuts to each one. It's HIGHLY recommended that you edit the shortcuts to write out the different configs for each version.

@NiM8R
10-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks - You are suggesting that the shortcuts to the two versions retain their individual config files in separate locations for optimum efficiency, yes? Also, I got an email from Newtek sales yesterday stating that v10 was shipped and on its way to me - have you heard this?

nickdigital
10-09-2010, 02:31 PM
The shipment of 10 is new to me.

Yes to your config question. It's a way to maintain control and efficiency over what your LW is doing.

For example, let's say you're working on two different projects with two different Content directories. You could setup your different shortcuts so one LW is using Content directory A and the other is using Content directory B. No need to change Content directories each time if you find yourself bouncing from one project to the other.

I even have a temp LW shortcut that's uses a temp Content directory. When I say temp Content I mean I don't really care what the Content directory is. People on the forum sometimes post Content to share so I use that temp shortcut to path to the material they post.

It's really helpful if you're participating in the beta program. It's best to work with different and separate configs as sometimes things in the beta change.

One thing of note is that you can specify the config and the plug-in ext file separately. So using the two different Content directory example from above, you could specify the different configs for the Content...but still specify where you want your plug-ins to be pulled from. At work we all pull our plug-ins from one folder that our render controller references too. But each animator is writing out their own config to their own folder so they can still modify their shortuts/menus how they want.

TheDeacon
10-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks - You are suggesting that the shortcuts to the two versions retain their individual config files in separate locations for optimum efficiency, yes? Also, I got an email from Newtek sales yesterday stating that v10 was shipped and on its way to me - have you heard this?

The latest version of LightWave 3D being shipped to you gives you access to HardCORE, which in turn gives you access to the latest builds of what will be LightWave 10, which is slated to ship in Q4.

To be CRYSTAL clear-

WE HAVE NOT SHIPPED LIGHTWAVE 10 TO ANYONE YET.

I understand the enthusiasm... because I can't wait to get my hands on a final build, myself.

:thumbsup:

@NiM8R
10-09-2010, 09:29 PM
I guess I misunderstood the email. Looking forward to getting the pre-build and trying out all the new features!