PDA

View Full Version : Getting networked

yaschan
10-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Any ideas for beginner Lightwave generalist on how to get networked & remembered?

erikals
10-07-2010, 08:01 PM
...a kick-a** showreel always does the trick :]

yaschan
10-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Do you recommend to upload in Youtube or other site?

Do VFX guys have LinkedIN & Facebook accounts?

yaschan
10-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Then, I really wonder, should I be "generalist" in the first place? I have some confidence in subdivision modeling. More in Modeling than in Texturing. And definably more in modeling than rigging.
But then I need to render and animate those models if I want to get them out, and eventually I'll have to do rigging as well. So I think it is essential to have some proficiency in all of these areas.

So far I've been doing kind of bit of everything and it's worked OK for me. But I'm not sure if this is best way what comes to career?

erikals
10-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Do you recommend to upload in Youtube or other site?
yes, both. youtube gets more hits but vimeo is more professional and has better quality.

Do VFX guys have LinkedIN & Facebook accounts?
yes, some do, but hanging out at forums can get you far combined with a great reel.

erikals
10-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Then, I really wonder, should I be "generalist" in the first place?
hard to say, it must be up to you really. what do you want to work with?

I have some confidence in subdivision modeling. More in Modeling than in Texturing. And definably more in modeling than rigging.
this will get you jobs working with adds / archviz / game modeling.

But then I need to render and animate those models if I want to get them out, and eventually I'll have to do rigging as well. So I think it is essential to have some proficiency in all of these areas.
this can get you jobs working with CA and general animation / VFX.
(for an easy intro, look at RebelHill's tutorials and RHiggit)

So far I've been doing kind of bit of everything and it's worked OK for me. But I'm not sure if this is best way what comes to career?
well, nothing wrong with that, if you want to that is.
but it's much harder to learn 2 things instead of one :]
then again, if you like being an all-round artist (as many wavers are) then, why not :]

gotta go,.. but think of what you want to do, VFX / CA / Modeling / Film?
it might be best to choose one area / career, then expand from there later on.

erikals
10-07-2010, 08:41 PM
as for finding clients, it is always hard, and is often best left to professionals.
also read books on sales-techniques, alternatively take a sales course...

yaschan
10-08-2010, 02:09 AM
as for finding clients, it is always hard, and is often best left to professionals.

How? Do you mean getting an agent?

biliousfrog
10-08-2010, 04:00 AM
Getting work as a lightwave artist is hard because few studios use it nowadays. If you work directly with clients, producing illustrations and animations directly, from start to finish, it doesn't matter what you use as long as the client is happy. If you want to work as a freelancer then modelling can be done in almost any application and ported to the studio's software of choice. If you want to be a generalist then your success will be determined by the software that you can use and your ability to use it. If you're a Maya, C4D, Max generalist you'll have access to loads of work but you'll also have a lot of competition, as a Lightwave generalist you'll struggle to find work but you'll also have much less competition.

erikals
10-08-2010, 06:17 AM
yaschan, yes, someone to make the sales.

biliousfrog, yes, agree, LW is not the best application to use unless you work alone or with a company that doesn't care what application you use.

having said that though, i'm quite happy about what LW now is capable of, there has been some gaps that have been filled the last year (RHiggit, Turbulence4D, plugin for importing Blender fluids, ability to import Blender dynamics simulations, much more...)

when working alone, Lightwave is a great choice.
good price / great quality

yaschan
10-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Actually I have taken a sales course and I have run a small ad agency before.

My ultimate dream is to work with feature films.

Is it good idea to send personal mails to production houses like "Hey, I can do this stuff. Hire me if you need me!" ?

Dexter2999
10-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Do you have an account and portfolio over at CGTalk?
How about over at DEVIANTART.com?

Are there user groups where you can meet other CG professionals in your area?

Perhaps try to help some indi film makers in your area to get some film effects under your belt. (Not too many.) This could also help emerging film makers keep you in mind should they get a break.

I can't say that I have seen a plethora of job posting here at the Newtek forums. The jobs listed here are few and far between. I've seen more listings over at entertainmentcareers.com. But even there it has been some time since I have seen a LW specific listing.

Flay seems to get more listing than most sites I have seen. And again they seem to be getting fewer and fewer.

The thing with most job listings is that they are an established company and are looking for someone to fit into their systems/pipeline. Posting your original work or work you have done for independents allows you to use what tools you have.

http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv.html episode 89 does a quick mention of the job fair at SIIGRAPH at the end. It appears the ILM doesn't even accept "demo reels" anymore. They watch them online. Go figure.

Good Luck