PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #99 - Light of my desire

ArtGoblin
10-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.
3. LightWave should be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

-Light of my desire-
Without light, the evenings would get grey and dull. Sleek design lamps or a nifty set of candles to set the mood will do the job for some... others crave neon signs and a fun set of LED's. Whatever it is, you need to create some lightbringer to set the mood you want, so you can get your groove on, or alternatively keep it cozy and read a good book in the living room.

Time Limit - 60 minutes
Deadline - Wednesday 13 October 2010, 2200 GMT

COBRASoft
10-07-2010, 09:00 AM
I should be able to model somthing for this challenge. Nice topic!

ArtGoblin
10-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Looking forward on seeing your entry :) Hope I've managed to choose a topic that allows flexibility in design/modelling as well as can appeal to the whole range of experience level people have :)

R.Feeney
10-07-2010, 11:23 AM
I promise that this time I wont build a lighthouse :)

Hopper
10-07-2010, 05:43 PM
I promise that this time I wont build a lighthouse :)
... or a lighter next to a left handed cigarette. :D

R.Feeney
10-07-2010, 06:03 PM
I never heard of it reefer..ed to as a left handed cigarette before. You learn something new everday :D

ArtGoblin
10-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Decided to do a starter for this one, since no one has posted an entry yet....

Was curious as if it would be possible to model a vintage lamp I have here in the opposite corner of my living room in just one hour. I failed, I was about 20 minutes overtime, but I think it would be possible for someone faster than me (and maybe even me if I didn't have a newborn son that gets all my attention these days hehe)

VintageLamp
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3085/vintagelampcomped.jpg

wires
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/3941/vintagelampwirescomped.jpg

Kuzey
10-08-2010, 04:32 AM
Oooooh...that's some pretty cool modelling :thumbsup:

Kuzey

ArtGoblin
10-08-2010, 07:51 AM
thanks :) it's mostly just drawing with the pen tool, then lathe and hitting TAB :) I think I spent most of the time in creating details on the Lampshade that don't really show when so far away hehe... There's supposed to be like a cloth braid going from top to bottom along the profile of it, but in these renders they just look like line. Guess I'll have to render out one close up of that soon.

Nangleator
10-08-2010, 07:57 AM
This challenge makes me think of this:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/3184469_f260.jpg

But I lack the skill to make the leg look good.

(Fra-jeel-ay... must be Italian!)

XswampyX
10-08-2010, 08:04 AM
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/MagTorch2.jpg

Not very original I know.

Wires to follow.

Nangleator
10-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Very pretty!

ArtGoblin
10-08-2010, 08:40 AM
wow! very nice flashlight! looking forward on seeing them wires :)

ArtGoblin
10-08-2010, 08:51 AM
But I lack the skill to make the leg look good.

(Fra-jeel-ay... must be Italian!)

hehe.. you never know if you don't try :devil: I suck at organic modelling, but I use every excuse I got (like these speed challenges for exemple) to get a little bit more controll over those fleshyparts

ArtGoblin
10-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Rendered out a close up to show a bit more the braids on the lampshade...
Just for fun

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8853/vintagelampcomped2.jpg

R.Feeney
10-08-2010, 10:58 AM
About half an hour each, nothing too original though.
I`ll have to do a second post because of the attachment limits.

R.Feeney
10-08-2010, 11:01 AM
And the other one :)
I think I`ll have to stop taking part in these after #100 ( for a while at least)
Spend a little time on something bigger.

COBRASoft
10-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Great models and renders guys!

It makes me feel so tiny in 3D :(.

Hopper
10-08-2010, 04:35 PM
It makes me feel so tiny in 3D :(.
Just Shift-A. :D

COBRASoft
10-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Hopper: Select me, then Shift-A :D. Or, zoom, zoom, zoom, ...

ArtGoblin
10-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Wow Richard! those are Great !!
COBRASoft, don't think about it in those terms... rather get inspired, that's a way of thinking that got me to where I am to day, not that I consider myself being a Master of modelling, but at least I've been working in the industry for a couple of years, doing really pro projects... I wouldn't have thought so some 5 years back :)

Hopper
10-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Hopper: Select me, then Shift-A :D. Or, zoom, zoom, zoom, ...
Done and done..

rather get inspired, that's a way of thinking that got me to where I am to day, not that I consider myself being a Master of modelling, but at least I've been working in the industry for a couple of years, doing really pro projects...
Maybe when I get done ruining this career, I can try the digital arts industry...

But in the mean time...I'm still going to try to do my flashlight even though it's already been done.

XswampyX
10-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Here's the wires....

It looks a lot better after pressing tab.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/MagLightWired.jpg

It would be a shame if you all stopped the 1 hour challenge, I'm getting hellavalot of inspiration/practice from this, and it's your great models/renders that set a very high standard that I wish to attain. It's not a I will ever get paid for this it's just a very interesting thing to do. Keep up the good work, you inspire me!

COBRASoft
10-08-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm not a pro by any means, this is just a hobby for me to do in my rare spare time. I just love to see what you guys can achieve in so little time. If I would be able to practice a lot more, sure I'll get better at it technically, but you still need to have a lot of talent too. People like Richard and Kuzey are really inspiring me.

stevenpalomino
10-08-2010, 09:35 PM
awesome renders as always richard :)

MovieMaker1972
10-09-2010, 02:58 AM
I was thinking the contest was to show lighting and since I haven't figured out how to work the lights at all I did this.

I probably spent 3 hours on it but it wasn't on the modeling =)

stevenpalomino
10-09-2010, 03:45 AM
Sure.. there's no light coming from this cup of coffee.. but we all know it's what makes the sun rise ;)

Traveler
10-09-2010, 04:00 AM
Great models everyone! That flashlight is a beauty. :thumbsup:

Iain
10-09-2010, 05:50 AM
Nice modelling folks.
Love the torch and the 'ball' reading lamp from xswampyx and Richard.
Great details on your floorlamp too, Artgoblin.

Nangleator
10-09-2010, 07:11 AM
It's not a I will ever get paid for this it's just a very interesting thing to do. Keep up the good work, you inspire me!
I look at it as a totally free training course! You get to rub elbows with the greats, while asking them how they did it, and getting them to comment on your work... If this was for sale, I couldn't afford it!

ArtGoblin
10-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Here's the wires....

It looks a lot better after pressing tab.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/MagLightWired.jpg

It would be a shame if you all stopped the 1 hour challenge, I'm getting hellavalot of inspiration/practice from this, and it's your great models/renders that set a very high standard that I wish to attain. It's not a I will ever get paid for this it's just a very interesting thing to do. Keep up the good work, you inspire me!

Great modelling there xswampyx, You know that there is a way to render you're subpatches as wireframes (I mean like without LW freezing and possibly triangulating the mesh beforehand) I made an effort describing this trick in the "All is dust" speedchallenge thread... but still, you're wireframing shows efficient modelling and good modelling none the less.

Traveler
10-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks for mentioning the info to the wireframe explanation, ArtGoblin! :thumbsup:

chco2
10-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Stop for a while ?
wtf? it only takes you about 30 mins everytime :)
We enjoy those renders mr. Feeney!

And the other one :)
I think I`ll have to stop taking part in these after #100 ( for a while at least)
Spend a little time on something bigger.

XswampyX
10-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Great modelling there xswampyx, You know that there is a way to render you're subpatches as wireframes (I mean like without LW freezing and possibly triangulating the mesh beforehand) I made an effort describing this trick in the "All is dust" speedchallenge thread... but still, you're wireframing shows efficient modelling and good modelling none the less.

Cheers ArtGoblin, will give it a go. I was on holiday during 'All is dust' so missed that.

Traveler
10-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Ok, here's my entry.
I had no clue about what to model so I just entered 'light' in Google Images and (among the obvious) this came up. I can't imagine this being very comfortable, but apparently they sell (http://www.dezaakdesign.nl/meubels/buitenmeubilair/nu-light-up.html) it here in Holland. (price is on request)

Modeling stopped after 1 hour
Texturing & lighting an additional hour.

XswampyX
10-09-2010, 01:29 PM
ArtGoblin, that works a treat!

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/MagLightWired2.jpg

Thanks alot. :thumbsup:

voriax
10-11-2010, 09:49 AM
I hope I don't offend anyone.
Unfortunately I went over the limit - was 90mins of modelling and the base looks rushed.
Will texture and light later ... if I get the chance.

chco2
10-11-2010, 10:29 AM
LOL! great one Voriax! ;)

I hope I don't offend anyone.
Unfortunately I went over the limit - was 90mins of modelling and the base looks rushed.
Will texture and light later ... if I get the chance.

XswampyX
10-11-2010, 10:31 AM
voriax brilliant! Could do with a bit of cheese hanging down in front of the mouse.

Iain
10-11-2010, 10:31 AM
That's genius Voriax!

Kuzey
10-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Haha...that is super cool...great work Voriax :thumbsup:

Kuzey

RudySchneider
10-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Voriax ---
On behalf of the Union of Rat Generators and Electrical Network Talent (URGENT), I formally protest this depiction of one of our laboring brothers.

Kidding aside, GREAT IDEA and execution!

Amurrell
10-11-2010, 01:37 PM
But on behalf of the Vermin As Laborers Union (VALU) we endorse it! :)

Iain
10-11-2010, 02:08 PM
The lamp I have on my desk. About 15 minutes modelling.

COBRASoft
10-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Iain, completely off topic, do those LEDs give enough light? Most of the time when I see LED lights they are very bright, but the light is not nice to work with and the distance of the illuminated area is quite small.

Iain
10-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah they're great actually. I really like the light-very precise and bright.

rednova
10-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Dear Friends:

Here I am bringing back my beloved UFO.
However, this time I am using fog and lens flare lights.
Do you like my lights ?
Love !!!

Hopper
10-11-2010, 10:01 PM
I had about 30 minutes free to model this evening, so I used almost every second of it. Total time about 28 minutes. This one was all about the 4 C's (Cylinders, Concentrics, Cones, and Cloning).

I'm not much on using textures to replace geometry, so all the knurling was modeled instead of UV'd. It was a good practice.

I will texture and place in a scene if I have the time after work tomorrow. If not, I'll gladly post the model if someone would like to instead.

Hopper
10-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Reference images.. and yes, I found the first thing on my desk that had anything to do with light. Brilliant imagination huh... I was more surprised at the level of detail from a phone camera.

MovieMaker1972
10-11-2010, 11:57 PM
What are you using to texture that?

Are you able to do that with nodes???

MovieMaker1972
10-12-2010, 02:33 AM
Got pretty close if you remove the dead layer...

See attached for equivalent of wire frame =)

Iain
10-12-2010, 03:05 AM
Good stuff Hopper.

Can't help but think the knurled areas would have been easier/more accurate with a bump texture like the one attached cylindrically mapped at a scale of 1mm or less.............

Iain
10-12-2010, 08:18 AM
I think if you ask most women, they'd say there is only one light associated with desire.
Modelled in 15 minutes. SSS would have improved it but I'm short of time......

ArtGoblin
10-12-2010, 08:30 AM
sweet candle Iain! is the flame itself done in post or is it HV's or what? and yes, some SSS and it would look perfect :)

Nangleator
10-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Great entries!

I thought I'd add a little abstract art here. Inspired by those cool juicers that look like weapons (http://www.vertigo-interiors.co.uk/SiteImages/Product/juicer/juicer1.jpg).

About 25 minutes modeling. Most of it was knitting together the three radial clones. The leg was made with a multi-rail extrude.

Iain
10-12-2010, 01:38 PM
sweet candle Iain! is the flame itself done in post or is it HV's or what?

The flame is a jpeg. Thanks.

Interesting lamp Nangleator. Reminds me of the weaponry in the 80's fantasy movie Krull.

Nangleator
10-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Thank you! I would have also accepted the large creature from Half-Life 1 with the egg sac. (http://img90.imageshack.us/i/monsterbigmommabr9.jpg/)

oliversimonnet
10-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Reference images.. and yes, I found the first thing on my desk that had anything to do with light. Brilliant imagination huh... I was more surprised at the level of detail from a phone camera.

wow that looks very real :)
grate work

speismonqui
10-12-2010, 02:31 PM

OMG!!! for a second I though it was a rendered image!

R.Feeney
10-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Great work guys and some great imagination too

COBRASoft
10-12-2010, 03:25 PM
I won't make this challenge, too much work on my hands :(.

Great renders and models all!

Nigel
10-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Hey Guys.

I thought I'd break a 2 year absence from the speed modeling challenge with a very late entry. I found a reference photo of these nifty little lamps, and thought it'd be a good subject matter for this challenge. Those little discs are magnets, you slide the outer one over the glass to reposition the light. At $1500 a pop, this is as close as I'll ever get to one of them :)

Time spent on the model: 35 minutes
Time spent on the render/comp: 1 hour.

Cheers :)

GandB
10-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Cool little lamp, and nice render!

Iain
10-13-2010, 02:53 PM
A cool led lamp I saw on Trendir.

Quickly (and clumsily) done but I only had a few minutes.

COBRASoft
10-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Iain: a few minutes? Unbelievable. Nice render.

ArtGoblin
10-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Frack! It's way too many good entries and it's going to be difficult to decide a winner on this one. Buuuuut we will find one, I'm going to sit down and judge this tomorrow. In the meanwhile, enjoy number hundred :)

ArtGoblin
10-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Ok guys... it wasn't easy choosing the winner, but I came to a decicion in the end :)

Artgoblin: Disqualified!

XswampyX: Good looking and photoreal flashlight and luckily some extra batteries to go with it! Sould come in handy in the next power shortage :) Good looking and efficient subpatch modelling there!

R.Feeney: All three lamps both extreemely efficiently modelled and sexy in design as well! Then you go ahead and compliment that with those good looking renders as well.... man you're fast!

MovieMaker1972: see you're having fun with procedurals... like the yucky fleshy pink texture! ... unfortunantly, no wireframes to follow, so it's disqualified.

stevenpalomino: ohhhh frack yes that's the truth!!! nice and simple coffie-to-go! allready looking forward on having mine in tomorrow morning hehe :)

Traveler: Cool design on that one, and you nailed it almost a 100% true to the referance. A little tweak on the lighting and a another noise layer on the texture and I would be hard to tell the difference. This chair looks like it's made for reading books in it, but I'm wondering if my rump would take it for long hehe.

voriax: I love that concept! and well executed as well, that mouse looks good! and I'm not just saying that becouse it obviously works out a lot :D but unfortunantly over the time limit so.....

Iain: Dude! I've known for a long time that you're freakishly good and fast and hardbody modelling (wich you totally proved with the two lamps) but that's a pretty darn good looking candle for only 15 minutes! Nice renders as well on all entries!

rednova: Nice UFO render! Looks as if it's just coming out of camuflage mode. Is that the same UFO as from a former speed modelling challenge?

Hopper: Nice detailing on that flashlight

Nangleator: I always thought that those creatures in HL2 were based upon the aliens from StarshipTroopers, and then again I always thought they stole the whole design from the StarCraft game hehe. Cool modelling and awesome render!

Nigel: Last but not least! AWESOME consept and beautiful product render, Nice and efficient modelling. You're the winner!!! :thumbsup:

Nangleator
10-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Great work, all! Congratulations, Nigel. I can't stop looking at that cool idea and excellent execution.

Nigel
10-20-2010, 05:28 AM
awesome guys, thanks :) It was a fun challenge, and I saw a few worthy winners from the bunch of entries it received. Well done to all who found/made the time to participate.

Traveler
10-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Congrats Nigel! It's well deserved.

Fardin
10-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Excellent work voriax. Please post once completed.

Nigel
10-20-2010, 12:24 PM
So ... just so I dont step on anybodies toes ... am I meant to post the next challenge once #100 has lapsed?