PDA

View Full Version : video background

reedspencer
10-06-2010, 01:49 PM
How do I place, and see, a video in the background so that I can coordinate an object with the video. I am using Lightwave v9.0. I remember long ago in version 6 or 7 that when you put a video in the background it would appear below the keyframes but I can't remember how.

nickdigital
10-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Add it as a Background Image under the Composting tab. Under Display Options make sure Camera View Background is set to Background Image

reedspencer
10-06-2010, 03:14 PM
I have tried that but it does not appear unless I press Ctrl F9.

nickdigital
10-06-2010, 03:17 PM
What if you just try a still image...will that show up?

I'm not sure what Ctrl F9 is for you...I don't have those keystrokes mapped to anything.

If you scrub forward in time will the video show up then?

reedspencer
10-06-2010, 03:33 PM
The only time I see the background is when I do a render (ctrl F9) and then it is only one frame. The video is an AVI. and what I want to be able to do is see the video as I work with the keyframes - when I advance the keyframe, the video will advance accordingly.

nickdigital
10-06-2010, 03:49 PM
This might be a OpenGL issue...try changing between the different GL options you have in display options, render a frame and see if the viewport updates.

The other work around would to be add a polygon that's parented to the camera, move it out in front of the camera and add your avi as an image map that's set to Fixed Front Projection. The advantage of this trick is you can just disable the object from rendering and every time you revisit this scene that setup will still be there. Whereas with the compositing BG image option you lose the image if you disable it when you go to render.

ArtGoblin
10-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Made a red rectangle to higlight all the important stuff... this is only an still image, but it should work the same way with a sequence or video... as long as Layout supports it.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2097/bgdisplaylayout.jpg

reedspencer
10-07-2010, 10:17 AM
It appears to work. Thanks for all the help