PDA

View Full Version : blender vs lightwave

behestelah
10-04-2010, 03:47 PM
how is the learning curve to master each?

cresshead
10-04-2010, 03:58 PM
blender is much tougher to learn than lightwave in many respects, it's rather oddball in it's ways compared to the other 3d applications like lightwave, max, cinema4d, modo

most people around here do have a good regard for what it can achieve, but it has to be said it will take some time to get used to it.

as it's free many people use it to fill gaps/no so good bits in the commercial software they have.

it's another tool, simple as that really.
blender only recently became capable of ngons..some 10 years after many other apps so it's not ALL bleeding edge stuff in the updates!

behestelah
10-04-2010, 04:04 PM
I read somewhere that modo had relatively easier learning curve than lightwave is that true?

OnlineRender
10-04-2010, 04:24 PM
how is the learning curve to master each?

exactly the same , it's YOU that is learning !

now if you want to talk about GUI and workflow , now that's a different scenario .

JeffrySG
10-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I read somewhere that modo had relatively easier learning curve than lightwave is that true?

The best is to download the demos of each and try them out. Everyone will learn different software at different rates. :) I would think modo and LW would have similar learning curves for most people, though.

Hopper
10-04-2010, 04:52 PM
The new Blender (2.5x) is quite different and much better than the last version as far as the GUI and general work flow is concerned. But... alas, it still has a long way to go. It's getting there.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Considering Blender is free, the question should not be their respective learning curves, but to simply decide when you will dedicate time for learning each package.

Blender is free .. don't waste it. There is no real advantage to NOT learn how to use it.

colkai
10-05-2010, 02:32 AM
Agreed, if you're only just getting into 3D, pick up Wings3D and Blender with YafRay and get to grips with it.
I wouldn't be spending vast amounts of money or LW or other packages before getting some feel for the processes. A lot of what you learn can be moved to other packages, even if the workflow is considerably different.
You can get demo / PLe versions of many packages now, so even if you do decide to buy a commercial product, play with them all and see what works best for you before parting with any hard earned cash.

As Hopper said, you can't really go wrong learning Blender, beats working with Povray back in the day I can tell you! ;) :D

erikals
10-05-2010, 03:23 AM
it's not so much blender vs lightwave but rather blender & lightwave

a popular thing seems to be to do dynamic simulations in Blender for then to import them into lightwave :]

 

Rayek
10-05-2010, 06:07 PM

Completely agree.

blender is much tougher to learn than lightwave in many respects, it's rather oddball in it's ways compared to the other 3d applications like lightwave, max, cinema4d, modo

My experience was coming from 3dmax and Cinema4d, Lightwave being much more difficult to 'grasp' than Blender. Blender was easy (even pre-2.5) compared to LW. Lightwave felt very strange to work with. At least, for me, that is. I never really could get used to that separate modeler<->layout approach.

Matt
10-05-2010, 10:27 PM

I heard there's a special deal at the moment, buy LightWave 10, and you get Blender free!

:D

Hehe! ;)

colkai
10-06-2010, 02:58 AM
Now, "download Blender and get LW10 free" would be quite something. ;) :p

Ryan Roye
10-06-2010, 05:40 AM
I agree 100% on the learning curve for blender being way higher than Lightwave. The interface, even now is a huge turnoff for me and I don't understand why the Blender developers think drop down menus are so great. Yeah, they save space, but its twice the work to switch between tools and it really adds up over time. If only they had a tabbed interface... or something a bit more customizable.

If it were not for the clunky interface, I'd be using blender instead of Lightwave.

K-Dawg
10-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Well, for the lack of Lightwave running on Linux, I do want to learn Blender, but I just can't get used to the way the Mouse behaves, the Selecting, the Modifying with the Mouse, the Interface etc.

Somehow it just feels unnatural compared to LW, Gimp, OSes, Photoshop etc.

Thats the biggest thing I personally fight with. Besides that, I really do think Blender is a great piece of Software and I totally support Opensource, so I will have to get around the problems someday.

For now, I switch over to Windows just for Lightwave, Video editing and such Media things. (Web)Programming I do with Linux and Photoshop, Office work and almost anything else as well.

Greetz

Nangleator
10-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Best thing about the Blender interface is the search function on the spacebar menu. You just have to know (or guess) that a command exists to find it.

speismonqui
10-06-2010, 11:10 AM
I just can't get used to the little crosshair red icon in the Blender viewport, I think is the 3D cursor. It's just annoying and distracting.

Titus
10-06-2010, 11:31 AM
I heard there's a special deal at the moment, buy LightWave 10, and you get Blender free!

Hehe! ;)

That's a better deal: Buy Blender for $10 and get a free t-shirt.

erikals
10-06-2010, 11:32 AM
blender interface tutorial by Bugzilla,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvZEO7M80rY

ey, where's my t-shirt...!!

 

behestelah
10-06-2010, 11:42 AM
After watching some tutorials for both blender and lightwave, it seems that once you nail down the interface and shortcut keys you'll be able to model much faster in blender.
Watching the video in the link below, I got the impression that in blender the interface and hotkeys are not as notorious as people may think.
http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/blender/character-modeling-in-blender-basix/

OnlineRender
10-06-2010, 11:49 AM
After watching some tutorials for both blender and lightwave, it seems that once you nail down the interface and shortcut keys you'll be able to model much faster in blender. [/url]

meh don't know about that dude , I Reckon you put any top end LW artist against a Blender artist at modellin , the LW artist would win ,but it would be a tight race , what I dont get is why people moan about blender , its opensource ,change the fek'in the thing if you don't like it .

there is a challenge for you 1 hr , BLENDER VS LW @ modelling the same object :anybody up4it ? :rock:

Cageman
10-06-2010, 01:46 PM
How UI, navigation and mouse behaves is very important in every application. When I learned Maya I had to struggle to get used to those things, but nowdays there is no issue for me jumping back and forth between LW and Maya.

I've tested blender somewhat, and while the app is powerful and free (who can beat Free?), the way UI, Nav etc works is very unituitive compared to Maya, LW, Motionbuilder and Max, but I do have to say that Max is kind of weird in some ways.

For someone starting out fresh with 3D, I assume any app is as hard/easy to learn... except Houdini maybe, which do require some diehard knowledge of the inner workings of 3D.

:)

behestelah
10-06-2010, 02:39 PM
@OnlineRender
there is a challenge for you 1 hr , BLENDER VS LW @ modelling the same object :anybody up4it ? :rock:[/QUOTE]

This would be a great "duel" to watch. I'm completely beginner, so I don't qualify. But this would be a challenge that 3d lovers would die to follow.
Perhaps you could post a Thread in this community and Blender's community requesting for your challenge.

Please let me know if you do so, this is more exciting than Western movies:2guns:

K-Dawg
10-06-2010, 03:31 PM
I just can't get used to the little crosshair red icon in the Blender viewport, I think is the 3D cursor. It's just annoying and distracting.

Word!!!

After watching some tutorials for both blender and lightwave, it seems that once you nail down the interface and shortcut keys you'll be able to model much faster in blender.
Watching the video in the link below, I got the impression that in blender the interface and hotkeys are not as notorious as people may think.

My problem isn't the Interface and hotkeys that much. Thats something I can handle after getting used to, especially with the 2.5x version. The Frikin Mouse behaviour is what makes me go crazy... Oh and the 3D cursor thingy XD

change the fek'in the thing if you don't like it .

I don't quite understand what you want to say with that.

OnlineRender
10-06-2010, 03:57 PM
I don't quite understand what you want to say with that.

good place to start

http://www.blender.org/documentation/logic_editing_proposal.pdf

http://www.blender.org/development/architecture/

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Advanced_Tutorials/Python_Scripting/Creating_a_GUI_for_your_script

http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=73146&highlight=&sid=c1c4c288e70f49f498d9e15906c1cea8
GDP knows some heavy shinnzle

behestelah
10-06-2010, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=K-Dawg;1066282]Word!!!

@K-Dawg:
Would you elaborate on what you mean by "The Frikin Mouse behaviour is what makes me go crazy... Oh and the 3D cursor thingy XD".

Rayek
10-06-2010, 04:50 PM

That is because you do not understand its amazing hidden power, young padawan. ;-) It's actually one of the best ideas since sliced bread: it's awfully convenient:
- to rotate/scale around any point in space
- it sticks automatically to any surface (you can figure out why this is so handy)
- it controls where you put a new object, saving loads of time compared to apps that always use the center of the world
- any object can be moved to the location of the 3d cursor with a flick on a key - again, saving a lot of time when moving stuff
- you can set the pivot point of any mesh/object to a new location where the 3d cursor is located
- it can be aligned to anything, and is viewport sensitive, meaning it will move in one plane if you are working in an orthographic view
- take measurements (with the add-on activated)

And more. After getting used to it, I miss it in other apps. Honestly, I am amazed no-one else has copied this functionality in their 3d-apps. Most users with experience in other apps freak out when they inadvertently click the left/right mouse (depending on whether you switched the mouse buttons in the ui prefs) and "THAT THING" appears at the spot they clicked. I do admit it would be handy if we could hide it somehow if not needed.

The interface, even now is a huge turnoff for me and I don't understand why the Blender developers think drop down menus are so great. Yeah, they save space, but its twice the work to switch between tools and it really adds up over time. If only they had a tabbed interface... or something a bit more customizable.

Yep, the drop down menu's are a pain. However, you can change the interface to look like LW - unfortunately because of the beta status the add tool button function was removed for now - it will be back in the future. <shift><a> (or <space> if you activate the add-on) will show a popup menu, which really speeds up things. Or start using the shortcuts, which is the most efficient method.

The entire interface can be controlled by Python, though. Anyone up for creating a LW-based theme?

Or if you are used to Maya, switch to that theme. The interface is extremely flexible and customizable, with workspace support, and detachable windows - about on par with C4D (which always was one of the strengths of c4d) sans the detachable dropdown menus; LW 9.6 pales in comparison to both. Don't know about LW 10? Hopefully it has improved in this area?

I have to say though, that working on a dual screen with ultramon and Aquasnap for windows management in combination with Blender works best for me. LW's 9.6 GUI works really well on a single screen, though.

behestelah
10-06-2010, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=OnlineRender;1066204] , what I dont get is why people moan about blender , its opensource ,change the fek'in the thing if you don't like it .

@OnLineRender
My guess is that all the people who moan and don't like it, do not know programming. Also most likely it's harder for them to think out of the box.

K-Dawg
10-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Of course thats a thing to get used to, but what I mean is in Gimp Photoshop, Word, Open Office, OSes, Lightave, Fusion etc you have a feeling that each program feels natural with the Mouse behavior.

I can Leftclick and do my main operations with it. Selection, Marquee, Drag and Drop etc. In Blender its like the mouse swaps the behavior depending on what your doing. Selection with RMB, Transforms with LMB, RMb to Cancel and so on. It doesn't feel like the "natural" mouse behavior like on a OS it does. Right click for Contextual or not so Priority things.

It just feels awkward in Blender. Of course it has much getting used to and may make sense in Blender itself, I'm not nagging on it cause it's Open Source or anything, it just feels like it's a tool that breaks out of any Usability rules there exist.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Greetz

behestelah
10-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Of course thats a thing to get used to, but what I mean is in Gimp Photoshop, Word, Open Office, OSes, Lightave, Fusion etc you have a feeling that each program feels natural with the Mouse behavior.

I can Leftclick and do my main operations with it. Selection, Marquee, Drag and Drop etc. In Blender its like the mouse swaps the behavior depending on what your doing. Selection with RMB, Transforms with LMB, RMb to Cancel and so on. It doesn't feel like the "natural" mouse behavior like on a OS it does. Right click for Contextual or not so Priority things.

It just feels awkward in Blender. Of course it has much getting used to and may make sense in Blender itself, I'm not nagging on it cause it's Open Source or anything, it just feels like it's a tool that breaks out of any Usability rules there exist.

Greetz

I guess what you are trying to say is that it feels like you are driving in London!:hat:

K-Dawg
10-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Well, kinda I guess :D

Rayek
10-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Greetz

Yes, I do - I just could not get used to the right mouse button to select stuff, which is why I always switch them immediately.

At one of the colleges I teach we chose Blender as our 3d package, and one thing I noticed is that novices, who have not used any other 3d app, seem to have the same troubles compared to any other 3d app. Some pick it up quickly (mostly guys for some reason), while others seem to fight the interface (mostly guys coming from other 3d apps). Generallly, though, most students find it hard to navigate 3d space (unless they're guys/girls who play a lot of 3d shooters - again, mostly guys - ah, that's probably the pattern ;-) ).

I have taught Max and C4d as well - C4D is easier for most at first, but after the first week it tends to even out. With Blender I need to give them a handout of a keyboard and the most used shortcuts, otherwise confusion rules the first couple of classes. :-)

behestelah
10-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Yes, I do - I just could not get used to the right mouse button to select stuff, which is why I always switch them immediately.

At one of the colleges I teach we chose Blender as our 3d package, and one thing I noticed is that novices, who have not used any other 3d app, seem to have the same troubles compared to any other 3d app. Some pick it up quickly (mostly guys for some reason), while others seem to fight the interface (mostly guys coming from other 3d apps). Generallly, though, most students find it hard to navigate 3d space (unless they're guys/girls who play a lot of 3d shooters - again, mostly guys - ah, that's probably the pattern ;-) ).

I have taught Max and C4d as well - C4D is easier for most at first, but after the first week it tends to even out. With Blender I need to give them a handout of a keyboard and the most used shortcuts, otherwise confusion rules the first couple of classes. :-)

Well, to me the final speed is way more important than the initial accelaration.

K-Dawg
10-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Ahhh. Relief :D

IMO if the Blender guys would redo the Usability to more user friendly, Blender would definitely be more fun to work and/or play with.

Oh btw. I really like this tut:

The technique and tut are very cool. But I had my problems in Blender to follow along :D

One other thing I dislike on Blender is, each version seems to have major changes that Videos on older versions seem like they don't work anymore. Some tools seem to be missing, some Buttons are gone, some moved somewhere else and so on.

Nothing against improvements, but it's just annoying to only find older Videos and using a newer versions seems like the Tuts aren't working anymore.

Greetz

Rayek
10-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Ahhh. Relief :D

IMO if the Blender guys would redo the Usability to more user friendly, Blender would definitely be more fun to work and/or play with.

Oh btw. I really like this tut:

The technique and tut are very cool. But I had my problems in Blender to follow along :D

One other thing I dislike on Blender is, each version seems to have major changes that Videos on older versions seem like they don't work anymore. Some tools seem to be missing, some Buttons are gone, some moved somewhere else and so on.

Nothing against improvements, but it's just annoying to only find older Videos and using a newer versions seems like the Tuts aren't working anymore.

Greetz

This is actually my main gripe: DOCUMENTATION. The current official manual is still based on the 2.49 version. There are some excellent beginners resources (http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html comes to mind, which I use in my classes) and excellent tutorial sites like blendercookie, but the documentation has been, and still is quite bad, or even worse at the moment. Getting solid information about complex rigging, for example, is very hard, and results in a hours-long hunt on the net for tidbits of information (combined with days of experimentation). It does help that there are many free resources, and, I for one, will be waiting in anticipation for the production files of Sintel.

I feel it has more to do with the aforementioned issue, rather than usability. The interface is no more difficult to understand than either Max or Maya. I would argue it is easier to learn than those, but the commercial offerings have one huge advantage: their official manuals and support. Compared to commercial apps, open source offers many benefits, but in Blender's case documentation is its Achilles' heel - good manuals need good technical writers, support and a large investment of time, and I believe writing manuals generates a lot less passion and interest among the Blender supporters than, oh, let's say, smoke simulation.

Though everyone's first main complaint would be the lack of proper written documentation...

speismonqui
10-06-2010, 05:52 PM
That is because you do not understand its amazing hidden power, young padawan. ;-) It's actually one of the best ideas since sliced bread: it's awfully convenient:
- to rotate/scale around any point in space
- it sticks automatically to any surface (you can figure out why this is so handy)
- it controls where you put a new object, saving loads of time compared to apps that always use the center of the world
- any object can be moved to the location of the 3d cursor with a flick on a key - again, saving a lot of time when moving stuff
- you can set the pivot point of any mesh/object to a new location where the 3d cursor is located
- it can be aligned to anything, and is viewport sensitive, meaning it will move in one plane if you are working in an orthographic view
- take measurements (with the add-on activated)

:eek:
sounds very helpfull, kinda the action center mouse in LW?

Rayek
10-06-2010, 06:17 PM
:eek:
sounds very helpfull, kinda the action center mouse in LW?

yes... and no. Some of the functionality is indeed the same, or a means to the same end. However, the 3d cursor offers more precision and control, I guess. In modeler the pivot could be used to set up a similar behaviour as the cursor in Blender, but it's still... different. In Blender one could also change location of the pivot, and use that as a reference.

That is why I stated earlier: no other app (except CAD apps as far as I know) has a similar tool. The 3d cursor is very handy for precision modeling, for example.

Which reminds me that one tool that I miss in any other 3d app: LWcad :-(
Now, that would be a handy addition in Blender. (I still use Layout, but do most of my modeling in other apps).

Come to think of it, there's no action center in Layout, is there?

Amurrell
10-06-2010, 07:34 PM

You're also watching a video from the 2.4x series of Blender the 2.5x series got me into it a bit more and I have to say that I am able to do quite a few things quicker and more accurately in Blender. Don't get me wrong, I love LW, but I've added Blender into the mix.

behestelah
10-06-2010, 09:33 PM
This is actually my main gripe: DOCUMENTATION. The current official manual is still based on the 2.49 version. ...

not entirely true, check this out:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.5/Manual/Interface

My take is that this great program is still under development. Programmers who work on it are mostly doing their work with no pay as volunteers, therefore they dedicate the time that they put in on development rather than manual. Specially that they know things need to be changed and will be changed soon. Now since this is an open source program any individual such as you or me is welcome to contribute by putting together a guideline or a semi-manual.

behestelah
10-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Compare to 2.49, 2.54 interface is getting similar to Lightwave. I think there is a movement in changing the interface.:beta:

OnlineRender
10-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Compare to 2.49, 2.54 interface is getting similar to Lightwave. I think there is a movement in changing the interface.:beta:

I dont know about LW , but it looks a lot like early CORE build /softimage, or is it the other way about ........ Dr Evil Laugh time ........

https://ohj7ya.blu.livefilestore.com/y1mjv3ULiQGRm-Aj1lGkDxMJmmUsHTwsYGvMJMHFRJnI6LfUZOiwV2qhJwhj5Ox9 soXqSpj_1IL78p9_JzgjBAzFybaxqqOzSHw80fC_WfiG715TKv wmbx9VOAcFYtqFVSWwxGNCHelBMo/SubD.jpg

http://c.eat3d.com/files/imagecache/blog_content/blog_images/Blender_2.5_A1_0.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:c68ZQjAHG6pAQM:http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/metroyanti/vgk30p.jpg&t=1

behestelah
10-07-2010, 03:49 PM
It looks like they have a sculpting tool within Blender that works similar to Sculptris, there is a good overview of blender 2.54 here:
http://theprocessdiary.blogspot.com/2010/10/work-in-progress-october-2010.html

yaschan
10-07-2010, 08:15 PM
How good is the blender's fluid simulation? is it anywhere near Realflow?

juniordebo
10-07-2010, 08:30 PM
I use Blender for some stuff like smoke and certain water effects. I don't think it compares to RealFlow or Houdini but it looks good. I usually go to www.blenderguru.com (http://www.blenderguru.com) for some tutorials on that. I haven't used it yet but Splotchdog has a Blender to Lightwave plugin for fluids. Splotchdog (http://www.splotchdog.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1)

erikals
10-07-2010, 08:46 PM

No! Njet! Niks! :]

unfortunately it is far from it, but RF is $4000 (!!)
there is sadly no good alternative to RF. (at the moment)

jasonwestmas
10-07-2010, 09:17 PM
No! Njet! Niks! :]

unfortunately it is far from it, but RF is $4000 (!!)
there is sadly no good alternative to RF. (at the moment)

I think I would try out Houdini Master if I ever got heavy on the fluids and other dynamics. More bang for the buck I would think. The only thing you are getting out of a lightwave version of RF is UI familiarity and using the LW render engine. Plus you can learn HM with Apprentice.

Titus
10-07-2010, 09:25 PM

It's very good for simple/realistc stuff. I've done a couple of commercials with it.

Basically you don't have too much control over fluids with Blender, this is IMO good and bad. You don't have to spend two weeks running simulations to have water that behave like water. Just create a box as domain, the containers, the fluid, choose the viscosity, the scale and hit the simulate button.

It has a memory limit, The growth of the memory is cubic, so having good definition can make blender slow or even crash if not done properly.

Check out these simulations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xjsAL0zB-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egkyj9Kzseg&feature=related

juniordebo
10-07-2010, 09:57 PM
I think I would try out Houdini Master if I ever got heavy on the fluids and other dynamics. More bang for the buck I would think. The only thing you are getting out of a lightwave version of RF is UI familiarity and using the LW render engine. Plus you can learn HM with Apprentice.

Can you export any simulations out of Houdini Master to Renderman? Similar to the Realflow kit for Renderman?
Glen

jasonwestmas
10-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Seems like you use Renderman in conjunction with Mantra (Houdini's Render Engine). I'm far from being a Houdini Master so I'm not certain on the details yet. I recommend3D buzz, I learned all my Maya stuff from them and books.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/entry.php?3052-Using-Houdini-10

jasonwestmas
10-07-2010, 10:31 PM
"THIRD PARTY RENDERING
- Work with third party renderers such as RenderMan directly inside Houdini.
- Interactively create RenderMan materials with Houdini’s shader building environment.
- Add support for new renderers by writing simple Python scripts."

Yes, you do all your rendering inside of Houdini using Renderman. Probably similar to using mental ray in maya and max but better integrated.

I'm not sure about the exporting though.

juniordebo
10-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Awesome, thanks for the reply. I use Renderman for Maya and I have been looking into Studio. This helps a lot, thanks.

Fardin
10-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I do admire all you guys who do 3d as a hobby and yet get enough time to get into detais of all these softwares. :thumbsup:

jasonwestmas
10-08-2010, 10:44 AM
It's no hobby in my case, 3D is my door to a different perspective and life support.

LightRock
10-08-2010, 09:23 PM
... With Blender I need to give them a handout of a keyboard and the most used shortcuts, otherwise confusion rules the first couple of classes. :-)

Do you know where I can find a list of most used shortcuts for Blender?

OnlineRender
10-09-2010, 03:22 AM

http://tinyurl.com/39t3z9a :rock:

bazsa73
10-10-2010, 10:22 AM
http://www.keyxl.com/aaac91e/403/Blender-keyboard-shortcuts.htm

Fardin
10-11-2010, 09:55 AM

http://wiki.blender.org/uploads/1/14/Keyboardlayout_250.png

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-254-beta/custom-keyboard-shortcuts/

:beta:

Amurrell
10-11-2010, 01:32 PM
I do admire all you guys who do 3d as a hobby and yet get enough time to get into detais of all these softwares. :thumbsup:

I think, as a hobbyist and part time pro, I can get into things a little deeper, than I would otherwise be able to do under a deadline or structured environment. More tinker time. :)

Fardin
10-11-2010, 05:06 PM
I think, as a hobbyist and part time pro, I can get into things a little deeper, than I would otherwise be able to do under a deadline or structured environment. More tinker time. :)

I assume that for experts and pros its much easier to get involved with different 3d software.

For a 3d beginner like me even one 3d software is overwhelming. It seems as you need to be expert in lighting, filming, etc.

Just getting exposed to the concept of the cmyk vs RGB, types of cameras, frame rates, and so on makes me think of "where should I start?"

It looks like knowing photoshop is an excelent asset for any 3d software. But just to get good at only photoshop one must clime a steep learning curve.
:tcicon:

Serling
10-11-2010, 09:58 PM
exactly the same , it's YOU that is learning !

now if you want to talk about GUI and workflow , now that's a different scenario .

While the ability of the user to learn any software package plays a significant role in learning a given package, the learning curve for each is going to be vastly different, as some packages are more intuitive out of the gate.

For example, I've tried learning Maya but can't get past the fact that so much of it is hidden in context-sensitive menus and in arcane icons that you have to learn first. In the time it took me to figure out how and where Maya hid its tools, I was already planar mapping surfaces onto geometry in LightWave and rendering them for broadcast!

Learning is a means to an end: fast, high quality production is the end for which we all strive. In that regard, LightWave - IMHO - gets you there faster than any other 3D package I've tried, including Blender.

Fardin
10-12-2010, 12:36 PM
http://wiki.blender.org/uploads/1/14/Keyboardlayout_250.png

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-254-beta/custom-keyboard-shortcuts/

:beta:

In addition to above, here is more help on blender hotkeys:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Reference/Hotkeys

speismonqui
10-12-2010, 02:34 PM
would be awesome to have a tutorial like this one in LW:

http://www.cgmasters.net/blender-3d-game-creation-tutorial-volume-1.html

behestelah
10-13-2010, 09:41 AM
I just saw "Sintel". In less than 45 days it had over 1.3 million hit on youtube.
It looks like an amazing piece of 3d.

I wonder if quality wise it could be made better using any other software like maya or Houdini Master?
If yes in what aspect of it?

Fardin
10-13-2010, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=behestelah;
I wonder if quality wise it could be made better using any other software like maya or Houdini Master?
If yes in what aspect of it?[/QUOTE]

How about using Lightwave? :newtek: