PDA

View Full Version : Space Shuttle launch help. (thruster blast)

F1Racer
10-04-2010, 04:38 AM
This is driving me nuts. For some reason I just can't nail the settings I want.

Im trying to do a video, or even a still frame would do, of a Space Shuttle launch.
Ive tried the Dynamite plugin but its too buggy (given up on that avenue now) and so I'm trying hypervoxels. While I think I can get the billowing smoke effect, what I can't nail is that bright white light given off by the SRB's. Every time I try it, I get a blown out white that looks fake and pixelly.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips on how to achieve the white/yellow glow while optionally getting the orange outline around it. The turning into gray smoke I guess is doable with a gradient and age.

Reference shot
http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Astronomy/NASA/ShuttleLaunchView2.jpg

Elmar Moelzer
10-04-2010, 05:06 AM
I have been working on a simillar project (well had been, since I have not had the time for it for almost a year now) for a while now.
I stumbled upon the same thing and solved it with a second emitter and using hypervoxel sprites. So you basically combine the sprites (that make a nice glowy, misty part of the plume) and the volume HVs that make the billowy, thick smoke plume.
Oh an make sure to make it a nice yellow and then work with the brightness until it gets whiteish. That way you get a yellow in places where the light/opacity falls off.
Hope that helps.

F1Racer
10-04-2010, 05:18 AM
Now that sounds interesting. So both emitters would be positioned in the same place and I guess theres the benefit of the grey smoke emitter hazing the glowy emitter too (I think I explained that right :) )

I`ll give that a try. Thanks !

Nangleator
10-04-2010, 07:28 AM
I think using a bloom effect will help out a shot like this. Bloom or Corona. Add it in post, if you're nervous about rendering with it.

prometheus
10-04-2010, 08:09 AM
I just recently for a couple of days started to work with a shuttle launch aswell, picking up earlier experiments.

There was also a thread dealing with movement of the particles using
doughnut winds etc, with some good tips from Mr rid.

But Im not sure Itīs necessary to use those, since the movement seems mostly to be pushed outwards and upwards with a billowing motion that could be worked with other types of winds or directional wind and procedural textures to drive the velocity vectors.

Im using volumetrix voxels thou since I beleive to get it fully realistic, It needs a good illumination model, such as beer or rayleigh, if I get the time this week, Ill try to work a little more on it and perhaps post a clip.

You could of course use two emitters to handle the whiter glow, but if you tweak the hypervoxels shading in the smooth and the thickness tab enough, that will give a nice illumination on the edges, gradients on opacity channels will also help.

Many people might say not to use all the volumetric texture and shadow texturing,in the shading tab but I would say it looks better than faking that with gradients.

The ambient illumination in the shading tab can also help, and play around with the shadow strength.

Michael
http://vimeo.com/user680656/videos

prometheus
10-04-2010, 08:13 AM
F1Racer!..How far have you gotten, screen cap?

Michael

rwhunt99
10-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Maybe you are not done with lighting the main boosters yet, but you should light the shuttle main engines also, they are not on there just for looks. :devil: