PDA

View Full Version : Controlling offset times in Follower/Inertia

raw-m
10-03-2010, 03:49 AM
I'm doing a simple page-flip animation that will have about 30+ layers. I've successfully setup my "master" page turn and then used Inertia to offset the other pages - each page having a slightly larger offset timing - entered manually. These are then all pointed to a null with Cyclist attached so I now have full control over the main timings. I now really want to tweak the Inertia offsets which means - (you guessed it!) going through each of my 30+ layers and tweaking the offset values.

Is there a more user-friendly method of tweaking the timing offset applied to multiple objects on plugins like Follower/Inertia or has anyone go a more flexible method?

I'm guessing the AE approach of having a group of objects offset by a index/slider value combo is out of the question here!?

nickdigital
10-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Doing all this via Follower or Inertia is probably gonna be a headache for you. As you probably already know, you have to manually adjust each setting by clicking into that modifier.

What about rendering each page and then just adjusting the timing in AE via time-remapping?

The other option would be to tie all the motion of each page to a cyclist null. Then just group select those nulls and adjust the timing in Graph Editor. There's still a lot of manual work but from my point of view it'll be quicker to adjust 30 curves in Graph Editor instead of having to click through 30 motion modifiers.

If someone out there has a better option even I'd be interested in hearing about it.

raw-m
10-05-2010, 03:38 AM
Thanks Nick. I was hoping to avoid setting up a null for each page but, as you say, it looks unavoidable if I want to use the Graph/Dope editor to do my timings. I suppose it does mean I can add a few imperfections along the way....

Out of interest, the reason I'm parenting each page to a null is so that I can use the null as a pivot point, not just for its position but so I can get the correct angle of rotation (ie, in this case, rotate the heading 45degs and animate the Pitch). I had hoped that I could use "Rotate Pivot" on each pages pivot point instead of using nulls, but it doesn't seem to work, (I think it needs bones?). If I could do this without the nulls then move and rotate the pages pivot point in layout then setup and animation would be super-quick.

Any thoughts on this?

nickdigital
10-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Out of interest, the reason I'm parenting each page to a null is so that I can use the null as a pivot point, not just for its position but so I can get the correct angle of rotation (ie, in this case, rotate the heading 45degs and animate the Pitch). I had hoped that I could use "Rotate Pivot" on each pages pivot point instead of using nulls, but it doesn't seem to work, (I think it needs bones?). If I could do this without the nulls then move and rotate the pages pivot point in layout then setup and animation would be super-quick.

Any thoughts on this?

Why not rotate the object/page itself. Is there a reason why you need to rotate the pivot itself? Did you model the pages as they look in Layout? I've done book stuff before and I just model the page with the edge that's the spine edge along the x-axis. From there the page rotates from the spine from it's pivot.

On the rare times that I've modeled something where it's not lined up at an origin I've used skelegons. But now you're animating a bone versus your null setup and it sounds like you want to animate the object directly.

Or am I misunderstanding your setup?

raw-m
10-06-2010, 03:07 AM
Thought I didn't explain that too well!! I've attached what I have and what I would like. Ideally, I want to be able to change the rotation of the Pivot Point without having to parent each page to a null that does have the desired orientation. In this example I'm animating around the Pitch.

I thought about rotating the pages in Modeller but that means that I would have to tweak all the textures to match rotation - and it's not too flexible should I want to change it. As mentioned, I thought "Rotate Pivot" in Layout would be exactly what I was after but it doesn't seem to work in this case.

nickdigital
10-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I try to avoid messing with the pivots in Layout.

If your object is mapped with a UV your image will stick to it no matter where you place it in Modeler.

Is it that big a deal breaker to use a null to move the page? Selecting a null is the same as selecting an object. I could understand if you were mixing bones and objects as you can't select both at the same time in Layout.

raw-m
10-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks Nick, no biggie at all! Just wanted to know for future reference really, without wasting time on something similar down the line. Thanks for you help