PDA

View Full Version : nothing renders?

stevenpalomino
10-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to render a 3d object on a tracked camera and nothing appears when I render.. there's plenty of lights and everything. Here's the scene.. any ideas?

***Note: Zipped with .7z***

stevenpalomino
10-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Alright I found out that the scene didn't render because the background wasn't in there. But the lighting is very grainy.. I had to scale the model down to .1 could this be why?

nickdigital
10-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Steve,

Gonna be impossible finding what's wrong with this lws file without the objects. :D

stevenpalomino
10-02-2010, 07:59 PM
AH! Sorry! :D

nickdigital
10-02-2010, 09:04 PM
In the scene editor your objects are unchecked...that's why they're not rendering.

Is that the problem?

stevenpalomino
10-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Yeah that's what I figured out recently.. but when I render the elephant the shading is VERY grainy.. is that showing on your end?

nickdigital
10-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Yes, it might be your bump map. You might wanna try turning that down.

stevenpalomino
10-02-2010, 10:18 PM
I found out (strangely enough) that it was about how I projected the texture (oops!). That on top of the lighting makes it real grainy..

While I have you here Ernest. What compositing package do y'all use over there?

nickdigital
10-02-2010, 11:15 PM
My group uses AfterEffects though we have access to Fusion.

stevenpalomino
10-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Ah alright so you find that After Effects is more than enough for what you need then? If you needed to work on realistic shots would you still use AE? Or does it just depend on the complexity of the shot? I guess my real question is.. When do you use AE vs. Fusion?

Right now I'm actually between those two.. I'm used to working with Photoshop so AE is very "homey" to me but fusion offers a flexibility for complex shots..

nickdigital
10-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Yes, AE suits what we need to do. Just to be upfront my experience with DF is very very basic at this point. I'm in the process of trying to get up to speed on the program.

I believe the general overview of both apps is that AE is good for motion graphics and basic compositing. Not saying that you can't do green screen/realistic stuff with AE as a lot of people do. But Fusion is strong in that area.

For our needs we usually need to integrate it with animation from overseas. Also we usually need to do additional animation inside of comp and AE is strong in that area. AE works well with the other Adobe apps and that's a benefit. We're even doing actual character animation inside of AE now and I'm not sure Fusion would be the best tool for that.

stevenpalomino
10-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the response it was very helpful :)

For the moment I think I'll be sticking to AE since it's simpler and I won't be comping any complex shots any time soon.. I'm still trying to learn it on the side though.. but you're right.. using DF for simple things can be a LOT harder than using AE :S

nickdigital
10-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Sure thing.

Also there are a lot of helpful scripts out there for AE.

aescripts.com and aenhancers.com are two that come to mind.

This script is amazing. IK in AE!
http://www.duduf.com/ressources/duik/en/

stevenpalomino
10-03-2010, 12:44 AM
WOW! :eek: That's a good one!

I was just looking at this one to help with Chromatic Aberration:

http://aescripts.com/ft-cubic-lens-distortion/