PDA

View Full Version : What do I have to lose?

@NiM8R
10-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Hello All -
I'm making the jump to 64 bit LW v9.6 on my home machine. Will all my work done in the 32 bit version still be viable? Also, can any new project I begin in 64 bit be edited and/or rendered on a 32 bit machine I use at work? - Thanks!

nickdigital
10-01-2010, 05:57 PM
In general yes.

You'll wanna make sure any 32bit plug-ins you were using are available as 64 bit versions.

I would recommend having both 32 and 64 bit installed...just in case.

And yes you can start a scene in 64 bit and open it up in 32 and vice versa.

wesleycorgi
10-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Hello All -
I'm making the jump to 64 bit LW v9.6 on my home machine. Will all my work done in the 32 bit version still be viable? Also, can any new project I begin in 64 bit be edited and/or rendered on a 32 bit machine I use at work? - Thanks!

Because of various reasons, I use LW versions of 32-bit on Win XP, 64-bit Win 7, Mac 32-bit, and Mac 64-bit (ranging from 9.6 to beta versions of 9.6.1 and LW10). So there is no issue with content.

For example today, I was working on a project with Mac 64-bit Layout 10 beta with 32-bit Mac Modeler 9.6 (for some reason 9.6.1 and 10 Modeler were crashing at launch today) without issue (except no connection via Hub).

If you use certain plugins, that is the issue.

Hopper
10-01-2010, 06:07 PM
For me (hobbiest), I don't animate much, and the stills I do don't really justify using the 64 bit version because of what little RAM is used. And to this day, I have seen no need to ever use the 64 bit version of Modeler. All advantages point to using the 32 bit version because of plug-in availability.

But I have never had a crash loading work done in 64 bit mode in the 32 bit versions of either application. All models and scenes come up just as they were saved in their respective 32-bit counterparts.

...just my $0.02

crashnburn
10-01-2010, 06:24 PM
The main issue you might possibly have is plugins. Will your plugins that worked in 32bit work in 64bit, it will depend on the plugin. Don't expect any speed increases in rendering, if anything, 64bit can be a few percent slower. The work you have done in 32bit will be okay in 64bit, my stuff transferred over fine.

crashnburn
10-01-2010, 06:25 PM
snap!

@NiM8R
10-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all the input - interesting points made concerning render speed and most importantly plug ins. I will carefully consider my options before making the switch - perhaps it would be best to live in both 32 and 64 bit worlds until some of the plug ins catch up. Thanks to everyone!

prometheus
10-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks for all the input - interesting points made concerning render speed and most importantly plug ins. I will carefully consider my options before making the switch - perhaps it would be best to live in both 32 and 64 bit worlds until some of the plug ins catch up. Thanks to everyone!

Yepp..it should be no harm in having both 32 bit and 64 bit installed, just a little more added on your harddrive, but thereīs so many plugins out there not supported for 64 bit, thatīs what I recently discovered when I bought my 64 bit machine recently, valuable plugīs like pictrix px bezier pipe/tube and curve tools wich I need to do weldings around complex geometry exported from solidworks.

and many others.

Michael

Captain Obvious
10-02-2010, 01:32 PM
I haven't used 32-bit LW in a couple of years now. Then again, I never really used Modeler at all; I do all my modelling in modo.

Elmar Moelzer
10-02-2010, 02:03 PM
I have both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of LW installed on the same machine. Just make sure to redirect your configs when doing so (so the two versions wont cause conflicts).
Anyway, by running both, you will be able to get the benefits of both in return for just a little extra harddisc space.

Captain Obvious
10-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Just make sure to redirect your configs when doing so (so the two versions wont cause conflicts).
I can't remember if it was different in previous versions, but in 9.6, the 64-bit and the 32-bit versions create different config files.

nickdigital
10-02-2010, 05:38 PM
I can't remember if it was different in previous versions, but in 9.6, the 64-bit and the 32-bit versions create different config files.

I believe the 64 big configs have "64" in the file name so the two versions don't step on each other's toes.

Elmar Moelzer
10-03-2010, 05:57 AM
I believe the 64 big configs have "64" in the file name so the two versions don't step on each other's toes. Yeah, thats right!
Sorry, I completely forgot about that. I am just so used to redirecting the configs either way. You are right of course!

prometheus
10-03-2010, 01:05 PM
A few other things to keep in mind regarding 64 bit vs 32 bit...

Baking hypervoxels might be problematic since quicktime isnīt supported for 64 bit as I know,Ivé heard
vaguely that quicktime soon will provide that, but Iīm not sure.

Also creating animated quicktime previews from viper if you are doing previews of hypervoxels etc wonīt work either for the same reason I guess, you could use avi codecs and those others available, but as from what I can tell, those options donīt give a smooth color blending in viper previews resulting in a lesser quality than if you choose a sorensen codec or quicktime animation settings, thatīs a little killer when you are used to do a lot of hypervoxel effects and preview settings directly in viper instead of rendering out and comping in first.

Michael