PDA

View Full Version : 3ds max iRay... what do people who have used it think?

lardbros
10-01-2010, 07:39 AM
I've just got the new upgrade for 3ds max 2011 Design, and have been playing with the iRay renderer.

All I can say is, my graphics card is a Quadro 5600 with 1.5gb of RAM... and an 8Core Intel Xeon, with 16gb of RAM... is this iRay thing just a pure gimmick?? A technical demo that Autodesk did to look good, but when it's actually used it's another disappointment?!?!

Just interested in what other people think, that's all... I'm again, bitterly disappointed by yet another 3ds max update! :( Angry, nope... but just feel deceived by all of the propaganda from Autodesk.

They were showing demo's of their 32 Nvidia Tesla servers interactively rendering scenes, yet the actual renderer is VERY much slower and getting similar results in standard mental ray is a doddle, at much quicker render times.

Also, the Substance textures are a great idea, yet again fail in practice...
PhysX dynamics... yup... it's okay, but VERY basic indeed... in fact CORE has pretty the same functionality as this PhysX plugin already.

Ah well... just glad that I don't personally pay for 3ds max, and still use LW at home!

Captain Obvious
10-01-2010, 07:49 AM
They were showing demo's of their 32 Nvidia Tesla servers interactively rendering scenes, yet the actual renderer is VERY much slower and getting similar results in standard mental ray is a doddle, at much quicker render times.
32 teslas is... well, it's a LOT of power. In more than one sense. And a lot of money. Honestly, imagine running Fprime interactively across our 450 GHz farm. That'd be pretty dang quick too. Yes, iRay is a gimmick.

lardbros
10-01-2010, 07:56 AM
It's the lack of interactivity that got me... the demos they showed time and time again were of cameras moving around and the scene updating in real-time.... NOPE... that is not what iRay is for apparently... it's just an unbiased renderer that will always give grainy images, even if you leave it for 6 hours! It may come in handy for VERY quick previews, but it doesn't support most of the standard stuff in 3ds max, so it'll be left on the shelf with the 'Quick Silver' (or slow silver, as I like to call it). Which, again, was another gimmick. On anything more complex than a teapot on a ground plane, the QuickSilver renderer would take aaaaages to pre-compute and then be fast afterwards... but a normal render would have finished by the time it had done it's pre-computing and shader generation! Autodesk obviously employ A LOT of people to do their marketing, and then even more to make sure posts from unhappy people are removed from their forums!

Although Newtek do the gimmick stuff occasionally, I feel lucky to be a LW user again...

Elmar Moelzer
10-01-2010, 08:03 AM
You know, I dont want to say "I told you so". So I wont say it ;)

Captain Obvious
10-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Elmar told you so. ;)

lardbros
10-01-2010, 10:27 AM
I knew it wouldn't be a true preview renderer because mental images said that in their releases, but Autodesk continued to show off these incredible demos.... no-one need say 'i told you so'... I knew it would be too good to be true long ago, but my colleagues built me up after they went to Siggraph! I'm pleased in a way, but still thought it may be revolutionary!

Where's Cresshead when you need him? I wonder what his thoughts are, as he uses 3ds max!

Chris S. (Fez)
10-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Iray is a fine tool for creating immaculate physically accurate stills but VPR is about a billion times more useful for day-to-day production...a modest estimation :).

I agree though, sorely dissapointing after seeing the demos. But, considering it is a 1.0 implementation, I see much potential.

Captain Obvious
10-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Iray is a fine tool for creating immaculate physically accurate stills but VPR is about a billion times more useful for day-to-day production...a modest estimation :).
Well, it's still slower than Maxwell per dollar spent.

Andyjaggy
10-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Max 2011 was a pretty big dissapointment for everyone I know.

Quicksilver. Useless.
Graphite Modeling tools. Useful but nothing we haven't had in Lightwave for ages.
Viewport Canvas. Looks good on paper but fails in actual use.
Viewport Tool Caddies. Useless and gimicky.
Nodal Texturing. The only added thing that actually lives up to it's promise. Then again it was a 3rd party plugin they just bought and incorperated.

Maybe I'll be coming back to LW land. :)

stevecullum
10-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Maybe I'll be coming back to LW land.

Sounds like the grass is a bit brown and dirty in Autodesk land... :D

Andyjaggy
10-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Sounds like the grass is a bit brown and dirty in Autodesk land... :D

It's brown on both sides. :) Lots to love and hate all around.

cresshead
10-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Max 2011 was a pretty big dissapointment for everyone I know.

Quicksilver. Useless.
Graphite Modeling tools. Useful but nothing we haven't had in Lightwave for ages.
Viewport Canvas. Looks good on paper but fails in actual use.
Viewport Tool Caddies. Useless and gimicky.
Nodal Texturing. The only added thing that actually lives up to it's promise. Then again it was a 3rd party plugin they just bought and incorperated.

Maybe I'll be coming back to LW land. :)

i've yet to get motivated to install max2011:D
of course i WILL...one day!
no rush, max8 is usually is enough for me...
i've been thinking of dropping the upgrade thing as i manage with taking/using max 8 to work and max2008 is stable...max2010 has graphite tools...

sometimes it's best to step off of the upgrade merrygoround and get to know 'what you have'

that's one thing that newtek offer people...come back when you want to upgrade at no penalty for not having each and every version.