PDA

View Full Version : Sintel

precedia
09-30-2010, 03:53 PM
http://www.sintel.org

I was one of the main sponsors (http://daniel.lanovaz.org/Site/Blog/Entries/2010/7/13_Sintel.html) on the project. The team did a great job given their constraints.

All my work is still done in LightWave and I am hopeful LightWave 10 helps keep the status quo.

Daniel

OnlineRender
09-30-2010, 04:11 PM
excellent work , but some of the blender peps are strange "talanted but strange "
see example .
http://www.youtube.com/user/BlenderFoundation#p/u/20/rRSZ4xydgww :D

prefer" the making of" /\ been following it for a few months now , some excellent CA and the renders are sweet . . .

calilifestyle
09-30-2010, 05:27 PM
yeah it looks great. I cant see why people over at Cgtalk are typing crap about it. dude back in the days this was nearly imposable I remember when Am:hash trying doing this, two times.Not even close to this quality.

tischbein3
09-30-2010, 05:48 PM
prefer" the making of" /\ been following it for a few months now .

Yupp, the blog is an essential part of the experience. And its really interesting to observe how the whole open movie idea evolves and is gaining more complexity each time ( film prints / hire external studios).

Rayek
10-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Some people at CGtalk seem to feel they are entitled to criticize mainly for the sake of criticizing. Sure, there are rough edges, but the scope of this project is quite amazing: everything built from scratch, a small team, working WHILE developing a completely rewritten 3d app simultaneously, and actually finishing a great looking movie. Teams much larger than this, and with huge resources at their disposal, have accomplished much less (did anyone watch Desperaux?).

Remember Timothy Albee and his short movie? Anyone who really knows and understands the sweat, tears and sheer effort that goes into making ANY kind of short CG movie will NEVER downplay or find fault with someone else's work like those guys at CGtalk. I think it is dumb and disrespectful. It definitely exposes their lack of wisdom, if not lack of experience. And, truth be told, the critical posts were, for the most part, made by persons like: a student; a graphic designer; someone with no gallery or contact info in India. All the experienced posters seems to be impressed by the range of work and general quality shown.

And don't forget: all the production files will be available for free, and for us to re-use and change as we see fit. That means all the nay-sayers may prove themselves better animators, riggers, character designers, set designers, story tellers, directors, and what not, than the Durian team.

Somehow I doubt they will step up to the plate.

Suffice to say: congrats to the Durian team and great work. Honestly, I expected this to be a disappointment, and got proven wrong. And make sure to watch it twice: second time 'round is even better! :-) Now to download those production files... ;-)

BigHache
10-01-2010, 07:17 AM
I enjoyed this film. It's a quick story that said all it needed to say and wrapped it up at the end, looks good, has good editing and audio. What more could you ask for a non large studio production?

Titus
10-01-2010, 10:43 AM
I had the opportunity to watch the film at SIGGRAPH, never felt I was dissapointed. This time they tried harder to make a story for their film not just a showcase, and after trying Blender 2.5 I can't imagine how they could finish any project.

Danner
10-01-2010, 11:59 AM
What was so terrible about blender 2.5?

Titus
10-01-2010, 12:51 PM
What was so terrible about blender 2.5?

Features from 2.49 missing and instability.

cresshead
10-01-2010, 03:24 PM
i think this thing is amazing i really like the storytelling a great movie...

CGtalk is just ODD...

one one hand they tear apart this short film made with an open source 3d ..then conversely they just heap tons of praise on salseman pete, which whilst it has excellent animation/modelling and rendering is just DIRE storytelling, editing, pacing..like i say odd...just blind to massive basic errors in making a story actually work for an audience and yet they dive in with a microscope to point out rendering errors...

talk about can't see the wood for the trees...

oh dear!

blender> amazing...looks like my subs for 3dsmax might go toward an new pc for blender instead!

jasonwestmas
10-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Not a very interesting film but there are lot of great qualities in there.

tischbein3
10-01-2010, 03:58 PM
CGtalk is just ODD...

I smiled at the "game cinematic" belittlement, because turning back the time wheel one year back:

http://www.sintel.org/concept-art/durian-style-review/
and:
http://www.sintel.org/mood-board/

this was exactly the kind of look of this project was all about.

In my opinion, seeing archivements as something more than just "woah, looks cool" isn't the mainstream cgtalk mood and target.

ericsmith
10-01-2010, 04:24 PM
I really think some of you are being unfair and unjustly biased against CGTalk.

There were a lot of positive comments on that thread, and the critiques that were made were fair, reasonable and constructive. And even if they weren't, what's happening here is like judging the entire Newtek community based on a comment from someone like Oddity.

Just like any other forum, CGTalk is a diverse group of artists from a lot of different places and different skill levels. Just because one or two people say something you don't like doesn't mean that the whole group are all on that same page.

Eric

Greenlaw
10-01-2010, 06:00 PM
CG artists are jerks. They all are.

Oh, wait...

cresshead
10-01-2010, 06:04 PM

Oh, wait...
:agree:

...err:devil::hey:

tischbein3
10-01-2010, 06:05 PM
@Eric:

Points taken on beeing too generic with the cgtalk statement, and it certainly makes a difference if you did followed its development through the blog and know some details about the structure, or just beeing confronted with the results.

But please don't tell me you were actually surprised on how the cgtalk thread actually evolved.

cresshead
10-01-2010, 06:34 PM
open source drawing app...sorta related as i think it was used on the productionas well as blender

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGOtGDQ-K-g

http://al.chemy.org/

jasonwestmas
10-01-2010, 07:11 PM

Oh, wait...

I know I can be, that's punishment in itself :)

Titus
10-01-2010, 07:54 PM
The Sintel team may survive bad critics, they are aware of the shortcomings. There's a documentary of this project and at some moment Ton was looking at the timetable then says: "We need more people".

OnlineRender
10-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I wanted to chirp in here , as I do . .

allot of work went into this project , and the final results show . . .
I followed the Durian project from the very start ,so I know the trials and hoops these guys had to jump threw ,even when the project was on the edge of breaking point . . .

Before David Revoy departed his response on the forums was classic , I just wanted to say , Welldone to all people involved , and for an opensource project the animation looks topend . . NT should take notice and maybe do something similar , can you imagine a dream NT Team . . . . FTW

Philbert
10-02-2010, 04:52 PM
I thought it looked pretty good over all. I just didn't care for the story ending. That and that the old man sounded like he was in his 20's.

silviotoledo
10-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I didn't like the story end, but the movie is great!

Rendering is nice, animation is good.

Blender is a professional tool.

What's the problem? Why is there so many hatters?

jasonwestmas
10-05-2010, 12:12 PM

Human Ego. . .it would be nice if more focus and energy was put into creativity and not digital discrimination.

littlewaves
10-05-2010, 04:48 PM

and yet so few hats?

http://theprettysociety.com/welcome/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/mad_hatter_teaparty.jpg