PDA

View Full Version : Motion Designer and Screamernet

cesario1212
09-21-2003, 02:47 PM
I'm on a dual G4 with OS X.2 running LW7.5c. I have an externally saved motion designer file (much like you do with particle files) and want to render my scene over screamernet. However, every time I load the scene, I get a prompt asking me to locate the MD files. I've saved the scene a million times with the external MD files loaded in properly, but LW always seems to forget its location when I reload the scene.

Can anybody help me?

Art-man

madrenderman
10-02-2003, 05:18 PM
if i remember correctly you must save in a precise path.
check on lw cd the sample, to see where must be a mdd file.

cesario1212
10-02-2003, 07:38 PM
Nope that didn't work. I copied the command structure exactly and then resaved my file. No dice. I saw later in the LW content that they had mdd files in other spots other than motions/mmd/

I'm confused. I really want to get this baby to be able to render over screamernet on my mac. I'm lost as to why relative linking isn't working, especially since the links are there in the scene code. I checked.

Particle files work fine this way, but not MD. This is slightly irratating.

Art-man

Julian Johnson
10-03-2003, 12:07 AM
Hi Art-man, I've been trying to reproduce this one in 7.5c (OSX 10.2.4) but I can't get it to fail :-). If I save the .mdd file either inside or outside my content directory (using relative or absolute paths as necessary) the scene will automatically find the .mdd on relaunch.

Plugin DisplacementHandler 1 MD_Plug
filename OSXVolume:Users:julianjo:Desktop:julian.mdd

or,

filename :julian.mdd

The only time I've seen this kind of problem on a PC renderfarm is when we've transferred stuff from the Mac and the directory delimiters haven't been altered to slashes. Does this fail on even very simple scenes e.g. with one object and one .mdd applied? [wondering whether the load order in the scene itself is throwing out MD]

Julian

cesario1212
10-05-2003, 03:36 PM
I just tried a one object, one light, one camera scene and loaded two different mdd files to the object at different times. I then saved the scene each time. No luck. LW can't find the mdd files upon reload. The scenes have been created on my Mac and have never been transferred to a PC and then back to my Mac.

Art-man

P.S. Here's the code:

LoadObjectLayer 1 Senior Project/Objects/Props_Clutter/Champ_Banners_HRpoly.lwo
ShowObject 6 3
ObjectMotion
NumChannels 9
Channel 0
{ Envelope
Key -6.3475504 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 1
{ Envelope
Key 2.8385088 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 2
{ Envelope
Key 34.521496 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 3
{ Envelope
Key 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 4
{ Envelope
Key 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 5
{ Envelope
Key 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 6
{ Envelope
Key 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 7
{ Envelope
Key 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 8
{ Envelope
Key 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}

KeyableChannels 7
PivotPosition 0 0.23 0
filename :Senior Project:Motion_Designer:Old_MD_Files:rightbannerst iff.mdd
mdflag 1 1 0 0 1 0
EndPlugin
ShadowOptions 7

Note: if the line of code for the dile directory has a weird return in it like :rightbannerst<return>iff.mdd, ignore it. The posting board insists on formatting my text wrong for some reason. The code is proper in the text editor.

eblu
10-05-2003, 04:50 PM
file permissions?
just a suggestion, I myself can't get screamernet to do anything, reliably.

Julian Johnson
10-05-2003, 11:49 PM
Hi Art-man,

I could be wrong but looks like you've been bitten by one of the older style Mac-specific bugs: spaces in path names. This used to be a huge problem but nowadays doesn't seem to matter so much. You seem to have found a stray legacy issue!

Motion Designer doesn't seem to be able to load a .mdd whose path contains a space. So, in your case, where you have:

filename :Senior Project:Motion_Designer:Old_MD_Files:rightbannerst

I think you might find that the space between 'Senior Project' is screwing it up. I did a simple test here and found that I could duplicate the problem by adding a space to the directory where I'd saved the MDD file.

A lot of this got tidied up over the years but MD and PFX still have some issues with directories (notably the cross platform ones). This is a good one to have spotted, though :-).

Let me know if it works..

Julian

cesario1212
10-06-2003, 09:53 AM
Man, it was that. I've been bitten by the endangered legacy bug. I moved the mdd files to a subdirectory without any spaces in the path, and voila. I can't believe it was that. I'd change my subdirectory to Senior_Project but I have too many other files that would be screwed up if I did that. So for now the MDD files will have to remain outside of that folder.

I can't believe it was something as simple as that.

Thanks much Julian!! I think that's twice now you've helped me out :) I owe you.

Art-man