PDA

View Full Version : Rounding issue with boolean cuts

sublimationman
09-29-2010, 08:02 PM
This has been bugging me for awhile now and it may be a stupid question or not have an answer but I use the boolean subtract function a lot but when also wish to use the rounder tool (as in the example below) I end up with a bit of a mess.

Basically the rounder will affect the edges that connect holes and ends up over lapping and causing a weird effect in the surface.

Maybe I am not even approaching these objects the right way but this is how I have always done it.

What I have below is a single box that has some cut outs and I want to round over all the front edges (well except the ones connecting the cut outs of course). But when I do as you can see it does not have the desired effect, it leaves little ridges where there were connecting edges (shown in yellow on the pre-rounded image).

Is there a way around this?
Or is there a better way to achieve the same object with cut outs and smooth rounded edges?

Any advise is welcome.

Thanks!

ramccombe
09-29-2010, 08:14 PM
I just did a test using the router tool and it looks OK. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

3DGFXStudios
09-30-2010, 05:35 AM
always press m for merge after you do booleans .

sublimationman
09-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks, I had forgotten about the router tool.

sublimationman
09-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Yea I always press m after a boolean subtract.

WilliamVaughan
09-30-2010, 03:25 PM
To use Rounder in this case you have to do it in multiple steps and not all at once... or... you'd have to add a point between the two point that make up any connection line.

You can always remove those extra points after you use rounder.

WilliamVaughan
09-30-2010, 04:02 PM
if you watch the video I made about creating a clothes pin I cover something similar on how to make rounder work by adding temporary points

JeffrySG
10-01-2010, 09:20 PM
You always have to remember that rounder only looks at points selected. Not edges or faces selected. It will round between any two points selected. That's why you're getting those 'extra' rounding areas. Look at William's video for a better understanding.

Skonk
10-04-2010, 03:24 AM
William's video (that he mentioned in the post above) shows you how to fix the issue.

I watched it when he first released it and it's saved me lots of hassle :)