PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use dual monitors, with dual nvidia cards over SLI?

Matt
09-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Does anyone here use dual monitors, with dual nvidia cards over SLI?

Ideally on Mac, but on PC might answer the question also.

Do you have issues when dragging windows from one monitor to another?

Reason I ask is because a Mac user running dual monitors with dual ATI cards over Crossfire is having issues with the panels disappearing.

I suspect it's an ATI driver issue, but wanted to check if the same setup but with nVidia cards worked okay.

Trevor
09-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Hi, I am running duel nvidia GTX 460 cards in SLI, no problems at all with panels across 2 screens.

zapper1998
09-29-2010, 05:04 PM
I do, have 2 Gtx-260's sli'd, and running dual monitors, samsung syncmasters.

And it runs just fine, snapper than a single vid card

Hopper
09-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Matt, the issues the user is having is not related to "SLI". While using normal "non" full screen applications (i.e. not games), SLI does not come into play (same as CrossFire). Also, SLI only supports one monitor at a time. I "think" what you meant to say was simply having two video cards installed simultaneously.

The issue will more than likely be a driver issue. Unless the application specifically addresses the GPU array via the driver (or 3rd party layer such as the CUDA library), it is only using one card. You will be able to see this by taking out the second card and running the application without it. You will see the same results on the second monitor.

EDIT: Obviously not taking out the second card "while" you're running or powered up in any way. Take it out .. restart and see the same results.

The Dommo
09-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Do Macs support dual graphics cards?

JCG
09-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Actually, if you loaded an object into an OGL viewport and you move it from a monitor in one VC to a monitor on the 2nd VC, it was normal for the viewport to get corrupted, in almost any application (SLI activated or not). With nVIDIA drivers 19x+, the problem is pretty much completely gone. Therefore, I would blame the ATI drivers.