PDA

View Full Version : VT3 Installation problems

FBCLawrence
09-21-2003, 10:33 AM
Help! W have VT3 installed on XP and it was working fine until today. When starting VT3, it came up with a run-time error (neglected to write it down) and would not run, even after restarting the machine.

We then tried a Repair from the VT3 CD, and afterwards it complained "Failure in removing registry key for VTCAPAUD.DLL", in addition to "Mixer1", "Wave1", "VTCAPVID.DLL", "MSVideo", and complained about the file "aura2rt.ini"

Now I can't do a Modify, Remove, or Repair -- they will each come up with different errors. I tried to install XP on top of itself (not a clean install, just an "upgrade"), and try the VT3 install again, but nothing works.

Any suggestions?

CynthiaR
09-21-2003, 11:29 AM
We've seen the exact same thing. Since our system is new, we have turned the problem over to the dealer. Will find out later today how things are going. I was wondering if we were the only ones having bad luck.

Scott Bates
09-21-2003, 11:43 AM
My single experience with the "Repair" option was that it attempts to uninstall the current version of VT on the system as opposed to attempting to fix what it there (which is what I assumed Repair meant). Once I located all the left over VT files on the system and went trough the registry cleaning procedure I was able to reinstall VT from scratch and it ran fine. This was on W2K, not XP.

Scott Bates
09-21-2003, 12:08 PM
It's probably already been posted somewhere in this forum, but the following is the procedure I've successfully used to un-install VT[3] so I get a clean re-install.

1. Uninstall VT2 or VT3.

2. Reboot.

3. Go to the C:\Winnt\ directory.

4. Use the Filemanager to find all instances of filenames containing "VTCAP*.*". There should be six of them. Delete them.

5. Search for RTVcodec.*. Delete it.

6. Search for "OEM*.*" with "Toaster" text inside. There should be three or four of them. Check the file with notepad to determine that they are Toaster install files then delete them.

7. Search for "vtoaster.sys" (should have been removed from C:\winnt\system32\ already, but may not have been). If found, delete it.

8. If you are familiar with the registry editor (regedit.exe), try to delete all Toaster keys (but be careful that's all you're deleting!).

9. Reboot - total shutdown and cold restart won't hurt.

You should have a clean system now. The OS may find a multimedia device when rebooting and ask for a driver; ignore (cancel) the system requester.

In the process of installing numerous new VT[3] beta versions I did not have to do the registry cleaning, but YMMV.

Good luck.