PDA

View Full Version : multithreading particleFX calc?

stephen2002
09-21-2003, 09:03 AM
There is a button in the particleFX options called "background job" that according to the LW manual is supposted to allow the particlFX calcuations to become multithreaded. For some reason it dosn't seem to be doing anything at all. I have the updating set to "manual" and when I click "Start" it just proceeds the same as without "background job" checked off.

Am I missing something? I have some rather high particle count scenes and would like to take advantage of both CPUs.

Mylenium
09-21-2003, 11:24 AM
I don't think the background job option is supposed to use multiple threads itself. Actually it's only starting an extra thread independent from the LW main thread and you won't see much of a difference. Even with LW 8 I don't expect dynamics being parallelized completely (and thus multi threaded), since this is a quite complex thing to do (by the nature of it, most particle stuff is very linear).

Mylenium

stephen2002
09-21-2003, 01:41 PM
I see, so it just spawns another thread that'll do the dynamics calculations while you can keep working on other things? I guess that it would only work with "auto" enabled because when I have it set to "user" it progresses as if I did nothing.