PDA

View Full Version : "Disney's Tangled" style hair in Fiber FX?

delonious
09-27-2010, 07:14 PM
How do I do it?

I'm trying to get a tentacle style hair - similar to the Rapunzel Disney film "Tangled" - it needs to be animated but still have natural Fiber FX quality hair.

I'm working with guides right now but they don't seem to be doing the right thing...

How would you do it forums?

pooby
09-28-2010, 04:13 AM
Its best to specify what you mean by

"they don't seem to be doing the right thing.."

Its not the best start for a diagnosis. For instance, Is your problem in the animation side or the rendering?

ps

Its a rare thing that a thread title makes me laugh.

delonious
09-28-2010, 09:21 AM
so here's where I'm at now -

I have the guides rigged with bones - so I can manipulate the "hair tentacle" but it looses the gravity of fiberFX which makes hair look so cool... is there any way I can mix the rigidness of guides + bones but also get the loftiness of fiberFX?

rezman
09-28-2010, 09:58 AM
"Its a rare thing that a thread title makes me laugh."

Ditto. We love Lightwave...but really.

pooby
09-28-2010, 10:03 AM
is there any way I can mix the rigidness of guides + bones but also get the loftiness of fiberFX?

Not sure about 'loftiness' but as far as gravity goes Its one or the other it wouldnt make sense to mix gravity with bones.

delonious
09-28-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't get what's funny about the thread title...

is this impossible?

sandman300
09-28-2010, 11:00 AM
IK Booster has dynamics that can be applied to bones. I've never used it myself, I never had the need so I can't help on figuring it out. It's at least something to look at.

erikals
09-28-2010, 02:02 PM
hand animate the motion using bones or shift spline transform (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aozfc57R4WA)...

flashover
09-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Ik booster dynamic bones

Hopper
09-28-2010, 05:30 PM
I don't get what's funny about the thread title...

is this impossible?
With FFX, it's easy to make "hair" ... however... it takes a stroke of luck (or genius however way you want to look at it) to make it actually look good.

Unless, of course, if you plan on only making tennis balls, grass, or a remake of Star Trek's "Trouble With Tribbles" ...

erikals
09-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Ik booster dynamic bones

...does anybody know how? :P

:]

Dodgy
09-28-2010, 08:00 PM
As someone has already suggested, I would try shift spline transform, which is available from my web page, but also you could put a dynamic after it, like clothFX with some gravity but also Hold Structure to keep it following the deformed shape. See this example.

lino.grandi
09-29-2010, 04:53 AM
...does anybody know how? :P

:]

IK booster bone dynamics could really get you crazy.

Go for ClothFX polychains....as Mike said.