PDA

View Full Version : sss node couses flickering when if I have bump

ArtGoblin
09-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Ok... been working on this shader for an alien egg, I decided to animate the lips og the egg opening with bones. Then it's also displaced with a zbrush displacement map. So... the mesh is deformed with bones, then subdivided, then displaced using a displacement map. And when it animate I get a massive flickering that I'm pretty sure is coused by my sss node....
... I've tried a hell of a lot to try to fix this. I haven't found the solution or reason yet but I've narrowed it down to the fact that when my sss node and bump are both connected to the same surface, it couses massive flickering in the animation just on that particular surface. Anyone had this problem? is there any reason to this madness ? :)

ArtGoblin
09-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Ok, think I found out the problem.
I actually started with thinking this was the GI's foult, but turning it of it didn't get rid of the flickering. I'm rendering out a new 60frame test that I think is flicker free. After doing countless of tests I found out the following.... DO NOT IN ANY CASE RENDER OUT A SHADER THAT USES EITHER THE sss node or sss2 node IN COMBINATION WITH BUMP MAPS AT 50% RESOLUTION IN THE CAMERA MULTIPLYER SETTING... seems like it scales down the the sampling of the sss way too much or something like that, anyways... rendering with the 100% multyplier now and the early test showed no flickering so hopefully this 60fullframes will look allright. Then if it works, I'll try it with GI on and see if I'll have another flickering problem to deal with