PDA

View Full Version : Any luck with Point Streak?

akscooter
09-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Now that I have Live Text 2, I was wondering if anyone had any luck connecting to the Point Streak database?

I just want it for stats, not for score/times.

Thanks
Jon

hughdemand
10-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi Jon

Have you had any luck accessing their data?

I have just received my TC but looking ahead to scooping data from PS. is there any documentation about how to retrieve it and how to utilize it on the broadcasts?

I have just completed another project and we are now using Live Publisher with video for all our game events, might cut back to just goals. Pretty neat to go to the GAME LIVE page of PS and see all the goals.

What do you think I need to scoop the PS info?

Thanks

Whit

akscooter
10-04-2010, 10:07 AM
I have had no luck. I found a site that says XML has the ability to query an html page's table, but provides no example.

Instead, when I have time, I'm going to write a php script to pull the source page to my server, then possibly a bash script to awk out the table data and dump it into my own mysql server, then I can query the data right from LT.

I say when I have time because I'll need to make the scripts as generic as possible, and the work I will have to put into it may not be worth the data extracted. Instead, I'll just use a person on stats to manually placed the data into a text file in the observe directory of LT. Along with Kris' LT Scoreboards, I should be all set for statistics.

We'll find out this Friday, the first home game!!

hughdemand
10-04-2010, 06:38 PM
As I said, [I]'m just getting my feet wet.We hve had 3 home games and are a long way from what I want. MAde some advances today. Primarily empasizing my 5 minute leadin. Once I get everybody's head around that I can move on to the next challenge.

I might have to resort to a manually set timeclock program on my laptop and use iVGA overlay. Just a thought.

Are your games avaialble on the net (and free or close to it?)

Keep me posted if you make progress

Whit

akscooter
10-05-2010, 10:23 AM
You need Kris's LT Scoreboards and LiveText. I know it's expensive ($995 for LT and $250 for scoreboards), however, I made my own graphics, and now all the clock info is available at a push of a button. His website has a great video that simply sells the product. You can find other posts here about him, and he frequently replies to posts.

This friday is our first home game, Fairbanks Ice Dogs. We broadcast on Fasthockey this year. I'll let you know how it all goes after I regain consciousness.

With LiveText, I have a text file in which I've set up key = value pairs which automatically update the slide on the screen. With a few standard pages loaded, I can load stats, display the page, then back to the scoreboard while I insert new stats. Completely worth the investment. But if I could get the scoreboard to allow LT to talk to it, rather allow LT to listen to the controller, then the clock, score, and whatnot will be automatic.

Jon

joseburgos
10-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Have you tried capturing the text being sent from the scoreboard in Hyper terminal and then sending that to NewTek for review?

akscooter
10-05-2010, 03:15 PM
I didn't know I could do that!

I'll give that a shot next week after this series. I'll need to setup a system, and hopefully the controller has a second output!

Thanks for the advice!
Jon

joseburgos
10-05-2010, 03:17 PM
The same computer you use for the LT2, use Hyper terminal to capture the buffer and then save it and send it.

akscooter
10-08-2010, 12:02 PM
I took a look at the controller for our scoreboard. It doesn't have a serial interface. On the unit there is only power, a port for the handheld clock start/stop, and two BNC jacks on the back.

I suspect the two jacks are used for light, but there is no label or any type of identification of what those two are for.

It is obvious the controller is wireless, is there anyway to "listen" to that signal?

Thanks
Jon

joseburgos
10-08-2010, 12:12 PM
What make and model score board is this Jon?

akscooter
10-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Nevco model 4570. The controller is if I remember correctly model 8157? I'll write it down tonight.

joseburgos
10-08-2010, 01:47 PM
I think you meant 4750 for Hockey (no 4570 model). The two BNC's on the back are to use as a wired controller (the wireless is capable of doing both). Other than that, you would need to call Nevco and ask if they have the ability to use the ports on the side where you connect the hand held start and stop of clock. This same jack is used for the Owner’s MPCW system key. That or the BNC's on the back seem to be active and allow the wireless controller to do wireless and wired at the same time (when two score boards are used). In theory, this BNC can connect to a decoder with RS-232 out for use with external devices like LT2. This is me speculating so don't get excited. Like I said, give them a call and see what they tell you. I don't know how popular Nevco score boards are but TriCasters are very popular and it behoves them to have such an accessory to their score board.

Good luck,

brians0105
10-10-2010, 09:58 AM
If anyone has any luck getting Nevco scoreboards to work with LiveText (even in a round-about way), I'd love to hear the details.

In our region, Nevco is the standard at ever facility we visit. Rarely do we run across a scoreboard controller that works with LiveText, but we did ONCE.

Brian

akscooter
10-10-2010, 03:06 PM
I spoke with one of our assistants who is a network administrator such as myself. We are going to try and pin out the BNC connector to the TX pins of an RS232 cable and see if we can't capture any data to send to Newtek.

Until then, our LT Scoreboards will do the trick once the operator can get the hang of it.

Jon

brownm
10-27-2010, 09:35 PM
We use nevco scoreboards at the school where I work, the controllers are basically universal, you just put a different cover over it and tell what number cover you're using.
Anyway, the BNC connectors send data to the scoreboard itsself, so it might be possible to grab that data into hyper terminal.

Another option that I'm considering (someone let me know if I'm totally wrong here), but on the handheld time on/off controller, might there be a way to wire in contacts under the on/off portion with a serial connection to the computer, at least then there would be live updating time.. just a thought

v4e
12-19-2011, 07:39 AM
We will be posting a solution to interface with Nevco boards using the coax interface sometime near the first of the year. Stay tuned.