PDA

View Full Version : 9.6.1 still going ahead?



biliousfrog
09-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Since the whole Core, Hard Core, Lightwave 10 (whatever the hell it's going to be) thing kicked off I haven't heard any mention of the 9.6.1 launch. Is this still going ahead or has the promised free bug-fix been quietly swept under the carpet?

phillydee
09-27-2010, 02:49 PM
FWIW, there's new keys for the beta. If you're signed up to the 9.6.1 betas, you can read what Chuck had to say about development.

biliousfrog
09-28-2010, 01:53 AM
I've been too busy to do the beta, is the development that secret?

Phil
09-28-2010, 02:04 AM
It's a quick and easy process to join the beta, and if you're in need of bug fixes, it's the most timely way to get them. It would have been better if NT had rolled out bug fixes in a series, but they seem to be averse to anything beyond a x.y.1 for their products. I really wouldn't care if we had bug fixes in a series through to 9.6.20, without the beta phase (with the exception of Cocoa LW for the Mac, which does suit a beta run).

It's NT, though. They've never really done quick bug fix releases since the 5.5/5.6 days when the updates were single file updates in ZIP files on the FTP server.

Fulvio
09-28-2010, 04:15 AM
This were my questions too ... is the 9.6.x still supported ??
I don't think I will upgrade to lw 10 for now because is not functional to work in 2 ambient, where in one of them (modeler) there is no manipulator

... I'd like to buy Lw Core with new technology, not old Lw with some other new patch !!

Kuzey
09-28-2010, 04:31 AM
This were my questions too ... is the 9.6.x still supported ??


Yes...but 9.6.1 will be the last version and it could be released in about the same time as core or thereabouts....that's just a guess on my part :D

Kuzey

colkai
09-28-2010, 05:01 AM
... I'd like to buy Lw Core with new technology, not old Lw with some other new patch !!

In Newteks defence, LW10 is no Core and old LW with patches, it is being re-written. That said, it isn't going to be "complete" any time soon IMHO and I can see it being LW11 or 12 before that is likely the case.

I'd advise simply holding off until LW10 is released and a demo is available before deciding if you think it is worth the upgrade. Personally, I wouldn't advocate pre-ordering it at this point, but that is just me, your mileage may vary.

biliousfrog
09-28-2010, 05:02 AM
From Chuck in another post:


The v9.6.1 update is still in progress, and is free to all v9 owners. We have not released builds for a while but will resume doing so shortly. Some of the work we will have in progress on stability for the v10 update will also be applicable to v9.6.1 and so will be integrated there as well. For that reason closure on v9.6.1 may end up being concurrent or even a little later than the v10 release, but will thus include fixes that it would not have had, had we elected to close out development earlier.

That's all I needed to hear. :thumbsup:

@Phil, I considered joining the beta but there seems little point unless I can actually contribute. I have also heard a lot of people complaining about the expired keys for the software which would essentially make it a no-go as I need to be sure that I can use the software daily. I've submitted bugs, they'll either get fixed or they won't I don't have time to keep pestering them in the forum.

phillydee
09-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Hey @Bilious I hear ya--I'm no tech head like some of these guys around here, and I've only submitted two feature requests, and I personally have never followed up on them to see if they were picked up in Fogbugz--the tradeoff for me is the improved visual feedback for audio waveforms in the timeline and Graph Ed. This single feature in itself is the only reason why I continue to use the beta. I was concerned about new keys for the next beta cycle because of so much focus on LW10--but on the day they expired, Chuck had already posted a message about a new set of keys out. For the next 70 days my key is good, plenty of time to finish off my current project.

Fulvio
09-28-2010, 10:15 AM
In Newteks defence, LW10 is no Core and old LW with patches, it is being re-written. That said, it isn't going to be "complete" any time soon IMHO and I can see it being LW11 or 12 before that is likely the case.

I'd advise simply holding off until LW10 is released and a demo is available before deciding if you think it is worth the upgrade. Personally, I wouldn't advocate pre-ordering it at this point, but that is just me, your mileage may vary.

For me is unfair marketing ... with the first HC upgrade you did recieve lw core 1 ... after 1 years of holding time the situation has changed ... whith the money spent for HC membership now users don't receive lw core 1 but old lw with some core patch !!
Can you use lw core 1 now ?

Greenlaw
09-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Here's what's been made public: LW 10 comes with LightWave AND Core. The new LightWave in 10 is essentially the 'old' LightWave with many bug fixes and some new features.

LW 9.6.1 is still being developed but it will be primarily for bug fixes; no new features.

If you get LightWave 10, you're not getting a 'crippled' LW; you still get 'classic' LightWave, but also Core, which is the foundation technology for the future of LightWave. Core is not a 'patch', but a separate new program which, when released, should be able to communicate with 'classic' LightWave. So your options will be that you can use either program or both programs at the same time.

Well, that's the idea anyway. Obviously, nobody can publicly comment on how any of this currently works or what they're using it for because it's still in beta. You'll just have to wait or join Hard Core.

So anyway, yes 9.6.1 is still being developed, and if you're having problems with 9.6 then you should definitely be participating in the Open Beta program and giving them feedback. If you're a licensed 9.6 user, signing up is free, so there's little reason not to do so.

G.

phillydee
09-28-2010, 12:12 PM
^^ well said. For not wanting to stick my foot in my mouth, I was going to say 10 comes with CORE, but that's an excellent explanation.

Cheers

dballesg
09-28-2010, 12:47 PM
This were my questions too ... is the 9.6.x still supported ??

I suppose no one uses the Search function on the Forums any more? :D


The v9.6.1 update is still in progress, and is free to all v9 owners. We have not released builds for a while but will resume doing so shortly. Some of the work we will have in progress on stability for the v10 update will also be applicable to v9.6.1 and so will be integrated there as well. For that reason closure on v9.6.1 may end up being concurrent or even a little later than the v10 release, but will thus include fixes that it would not have had, had we elected to close out development earlier.

David

Fulvio
10-06-2010, 09:53 AM
I suppose no one uses the Search function on the Forums any more? :D


No, I'm sorry but I'm very busy at work now and I don't have time to search information in the forum.
I have to work with the modeler that sometimes crashes just going from one layer to another.
I wanted to know the 9.6.1 release to decide how to move forward.