PDA

View Full Version : Image attachments gone from Gerardo's posts ....

adk
09-26-2010, 08:32 PM
To the kind NT folks who look after this board ....

I recently noticed after doing searches on Dpont's buffer nodes that all of the images attached to Gerardo's (gerardstrada) posts are missing. I hope we don't need to convince anyone here as to their immense value & do something to remedy this sittuation. Cheers.

adk

Hopper
09-26-2010, 09:51 PM
If the images were inline and not uploaded attachments, there's not much NT can do about it. They were links to a location that may no longer exist.

3dWannabe
09-26-2010, 10:08 PM
To the kind NT folks who look after this board ....

I recently noticed after doing searches on Dpont's buffer nodes that all of the images attached to Gerardo's (gerardstrada) posts are missing. I hope we don't need to convince anyone here as to their immense value & do something to remedy this sittuation. Cheers.

adk

Uh oh, they are also missing from SpinQuad:

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?19309-New-options-for-Render-Management

Maybe google's cache can find some, but ... this is a VERY big loss to all!!!

adk
09-26-2010, 11:02 PM
If the images were inline and not uploaded attachments, there's not much NT can do about it. They were links to a location that may no longer exist.

Bugger.

Never even occurred to me that they might not have been uploaded.
Apologies for jumping to conclusions. If they are down at SQ as well it appears that that was the case.

Here's hoping that they somehow make their way back as some of that info really is/was priceless.

3dWannabe
09-27-2010, 08:14 AM
I archived (with images) the very large thread I mentioned, just in case something like this happened.

Tried to upload the 20meg zip file to this thread last nite, but it failed.

I'll do that sometime today if Gerardo's images don't come back up.

But ... thinking for the future, we really need to have some people actively archiving the most important links with images. I don't think the deja sites are going to do the job.

There are a lot of threads on spinQuad and this forum that could be lost forever if we don't come up with a plan.

-EsHrA-
09-27-2010, 09:04 AM
"if we don't come up with a plan. "...

contact him directly ?!..
this image thing happened before and he was swift in restoring
when contacted.

mlon

3dWannabe
09-27-2010, 09:29 AM
"if we don't come up with a plan. "...

contact him directly ?!..
this image thing happened before and he was swift in restoring
when contacted.

mlon

I figured someone already had by now, but .. I'm referring to the large number of other posts like this from other folks.

Or, if NewTek's database got destroyed, I'd be pretty much lost without this forum. It makes me a bit uncomfortable.

I tried to upload the zip again (below Newtek's size limit), but it failed. The files themselves are larger than the allowed image size, so I'm stuck.

Hopper
09-27-2010, 12:08 PM
I tried to upload the zip again (below Newtek's size limit), but it failed. The files themselves are larger than the allowed image size, so I'm stuck.
PM me and I'll give you my email address .. you can mail the zip file and I'll host it on my site. Then I'll repost the images directly here and make the entire zip available for download also.

Hopper
09-28-2010, 08:08 PM
As promised...

http://www.comdotslashnet.com/lightwave/gerardo_nodes/

and the direct link to the zip file: GerardoNodes.zip (http://www.comdotslashnet.com/lightwave/gerardo_nodes/GerardoNodes.zip)

Note: The content posted are actual images of the SpinQuad forum. Because of this, the images are quite large.

I will post this as a new thread for those unaware that the images are no longer available through the forum posts.

Enjoy.

erikals
09-28-2010, 08:43 PM
nice,
btw, i think it's just temporary and that the images are moved to another server...

gerardstrada
10-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Very sorry for this inconvenient and the late replay. I've had an HD crash and I'm moving all images to another server and studying the possibility to re-direct the previous links. This gonna take some time.

Thanks for your interest, and thank you to Hooper and 3dWannabe for the support.

:beerchug:

Gerardo

Hopper
10-02-2010, 09:16 PM
With pleasure... anytime.

3dWannabe
10-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Very sorry for this inconvenient and the late replay. I've had an HD crash and I'm moving all images to another server and studying the possibility to re-direct the previous links. This gonna take some time.

Thanks for your interest, and thank you to Hooper and 3dWannabe for the support.

:beerchug:

Gerardo

Gerardo - sorry to hear that - but VERY glad you'll attempt to restore some of the links. You have no idea how invaluable your links are!

If you're not running RAID, this might help you if you've had a HD crash. I used this at one time on a drive with a lot of bad sectors, and it resolved the problem. It can recover data if it's possible to be recovered.

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

danielkaiser
10-03-2010, 03:58 AM
This is a good reason that inline images are a bad idea, aside from loosing the links if they are to large they tend to muck up the format of the forums and text gets lost on the right side of the screen. very annoying scrolling back and forth just to read a post.