PDA

View Full Version : UVing in LightWave

stevenpalomino
09-26-2010, 02:34 AM
Hey all,

I just started messing around with the plg_UV_edit plugin on a recent character and I find it pretty hard to select the edges I want. Does anyone have any tips? or maybe a better way to UV? What do y'all do?
Thanks!

stevenpalomino
09-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Does everyone use the plg uv tool though? I'm just wondering for things that are more complicated if this is what everyone is using.

nickdigital
09-26-2010, 11:01 PM
PLG is good for unwrapping complicated models. It's not necessary if you're just doing basic projection UVs though.

It's the best option out there for LW unless you're gonna buy a 3rd party app.

stevenpalomino
09-26-2010, 11:26 PM
ahh ok! Thanks Ernest! I was just wondering what studios used.. from the website though it looks like it hasn't been updated since 2006? Are there any plans to make updates on that?

nickdigital
09-27-2010, 12:10 AM
ahh ok! Thanks Ernest! I was just wondering what studios used.. from the website though it looks like it hasn't been updated since 2006? Are there any plans to make updates on that?

Not sure, you could try emailing the developer.

I don't think I've seen too many requests for changes/fixes to that plug-in. It's pretty complete as-is.

Dodgy
09-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Open the Numeric panel for it and use Point mode instead of edge mode. It's a lot quicker and easier.
You basically Left mouse click the start point of the seam, then Middle mouse click a point some way along the seam (or the end) and UV edit will try to pick a edge path between the two points. If you're not happy with the selection, use the Undo Selection button and MMB click a point closer to the start. Repeat.

stevenpalomino
09-27-2010, 12:34 AM
Not sure, you could try emailing the developer.

I don't think I've seen too many requests for changes/fixes to that plug-in. It's pretty complete as-is.

Yeah the features are great.. the only thing that'd be great was if the normal edge selection tool could be used instead of the plugin one.. that'd make it a bit easier than trying to select the middle of the edge..

I realize you can also do point and that works pretty well too... I just think it'd be great to add that little bit of flexibility since UVing can get pretty daunting :S