PDA

View Full Version : cant think of what to do :(

oliversimonnet
09-25-2010, 07:17 AM
lately, i haven't done any successful LW work
every time i try and do something even if its really simple i get it wrong :s
whats happening to meeee haha :)
any one else ever had this haha or just me ?

i think ill just have a brake a few days
and then do some really simple model.

nickdigital
09-25-2010, 08:48 AM
It's good to take a break every now and then. Go read a book, see a movie, go for a hike. The best inspiration sometimes comes when you're not forcing it.

oliversimonnet
09-25-2010, 09:22 AM
ok thanks for the advice pal
:) il give it ago
its been stressing me out not being able to accomplish anything, i fell like such a faliour

nickdigital
09-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Well don't get too down on yourself. Take a break and re-charge your batteries.

Keep your expectations realistic and you'll enjoy the process/journey more. Too often people expect to be instant masters.

Pursuing your passion should be fun.

cresshead
09-25-2010, 10:36 AM
do something opposite that what your having trouble with!

if character modeling is doing your head in...do some product modeling or arch viz...or maybe some abstract scene..

bazsa73
09-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Do you have any contact with nature? Fresh air, walking, forest. You know. 2-3 hours outside on the air helps a lot. For me at least.

oliversimonnet
09-25-2010, 11:12 AM
do something opposite that what your having trouble with!

if character modeling is doing your head in...do some product modeling or arch viz...or maybe some abstract scene..

ok cool
i havent done any abstract art bifore, il prob give that a go :)

Keep your expectations realistic and you'll enjoy the process/journey more. Too often people expect to be instant masters.

Pursuing your passion should be fun.

ok :)
haha ok cool
im going out with the lads and Lady's later, so that should Cheer me up haha :)

thanks for the advice fellas :)

Ryan Roye
09-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Personally, I've been kind of burned out lately in regards to modeling due to the magnitude of work required to bring my latest project to life.

When this happens, I usually try to divert my attention to something else while still trying to be productive. For instance, I'll pick between screenwriting, audio production, background/props, research/development (experimenting with stuff i've never tried before), and so on until I feel ready to go back to the topic I feel burnt out on.

Sekhar
09-25-2010, 02:04 PM
What you need is some inspiration. Watch how easy it is to make LOTR with Maya (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O_h6N2Qms4). :D

K-Dawg
09-25-2010, 02:08 PM

I can write a book about that. So many times in Life no matter what I went after I tried to be instantly very good and stressed my self too much.

Not a good thing to do, especially when you start falling in a depression.

oliversimonnet
09-25-2010, 02:27 PM
What you need is some inspiration. Watch how easy it is to make LOTR with Maya (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O_h6N2Qms4). :D

haha bless him haha, why did he bother putting that video up hah a
do a new version and upload that one.

I can write a book about that. So many times in Life no matter what I went after I tried to be instantly very good and stressed my self too much.

Not a good thing to do, especially when you start falling in a depression.

haha cool
u guys have cheered me up now that with all your advice :)
thanks a bunch again guys :)

stevecullum
09-25-2010, 02:48 PM
its been stressing me out not being able to accomplish anything, i fell like such a faliour

Having similar time here. Apart from a bit of messing about with the new plugins and such, I've been unable to find the creative desire to attempt anything new. But this happened before and after a 3 month break from it, I was filled with inspiration again. I think creativity comes in waves for some people, so go out, have fun and when your feeling inspired again Lightwave will be waiting. :)

oliversimonnet
09-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Having similar time here. Apart from a bit of messing about with the new plugins and such, I've been unable to find the creative desire to attempt anything new. But this happened before and after a 3 month break from it, I was filled with inspiration again. I think creativity comes in waves for some people, so go out, have fun and when your feeling inspired again Lightwave will be waiting. :)

ye :) i do hope it comes in a wave soon :(

it all started when i wanted to make a really really simple character that looks good and that i could practice rigging with.
i wanted to do the Maya Norman rigg character
but after attempting it soo many times
i was like dud its so simple why cant i do this.

been thinking that i, am maybe just not cut out for this :(

so ye
im going to take everyone's advise and have a brake, and then hopefuly il be roling again creating some nice work for you all to coment on haha :)

cresshead
09-25-2010, 03:05 PM

indeed!

i've not fired up zbrush in months...mainly cos i've not got any creature based project ready to roll which needs modeling...not even updated to ZB4 yet!

lightwave...not done much of late in lightwave..i have plans to with some space based sci fi projects but we're still writing them currently!

3dsmax...doing stuff for work with max..product models though...still not updated to max 2011....me lazy!

i'm sorta having the summer off from 3d for personal projects...soon as we enter autum proper i'll huddle up close to my quadcore and give it some attention!
:D

like ya say...'waves'

stevecullum
09-25-2010, 03:06 PM
it all started when i wanted to make a really really simple character that looks good and that i could practice rigging with.

Check this months 3d world zbrush video tutorials. The very first one shows how to create a really simple base model (box modelled in Maya), that with a tweak here and there, would be fine for rigging tests.

oliversimonnet
09-25-2010, 03:10 PM
indeed!

i've not fired up zbrush in months...mainly cos i've not got any creature based project ready to roll which needs modeling...not even updated to ZB4 yet!

lightwave...not done much of late in lightwave..i have plans to with some space based sci fi projects but we're still writing them currently!

3dsmax...doing stuff for work with max..product models though...still not updated to max 2011....me lazy!

i'm sorta having the summer off from 3d for personal projects...soon as we enter autum proper i'll huddle up close to my quadcore and give it some attention!
:D

like ya say...'waves'

aa cool, so its not just me

i wil be exited to see your wave of work, when it comes :)

oliversimonnet
09-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Check this months 3d world zbrush video tutorials. The very first one shows how to create a really simple base model (box modelled in Maya), that with a tweak here and there, would be fine for rigging tests.

aa ok cool

they have 3D world in the Library at college, im the only one that reads in in my class haha, mainly because its an ITclass not 3D haha

thanks for the info pal, i wil defenatly look into that

geo_n
09-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Whenever I have this trouble I sit down and watch a lot of movies, tv shows, tutorials just to get the brain less thinking. On the otherhand I have not had an idea of a short story that I could do for myself and its been on the back of my mind how can I create something different. Watching people make their own short story I keep thinking those ideas are already taken. What to do?

meshpig
09-26-2010, 01:21 AM
I can't remember who said it or where I read it - probably in one of the books I've read about writing - but coming up with ideas can be VERY easy. It all comes down to "WHAT IF..." You start with something that you want the story to be about. Let's say a 12 year old boy. Then start asking "what if." What if the boy was walking through the woods... and what if he fell into a hole that was covered with leaves and fallen branches... while he was trying get out, what if he hit something with his hand and a light turned on... startled, he started looking around the small "room" and saw a skeleton... and what if...

Seriously, you can go on for HOURS or DAYS using this method and can come up with dozens of stories. Some might be okay, some might be similar to other stories, but some you might actually like and want to add more. The "WHAT IF" idea has been a godsend and I use it ALL of the time. No longer do I have problems coming up with stories. I'm working on a 22 minute short targeted at kids and I've got a few story outlines already completed for future episodes - I want to create at least a dozen (or two) before I submit anything so I'll have them ready.

Story ideas... ANYONE can come up with interesting things!

Ha, you obviously haven't known many writers. I think they and musicians suffer this type of thing far worse than one does in the visual arts.

- Hence how few visual artists in history attest to some long standing "positive" relationship with drugs like a Miles Davis or Sigmund Freud, Lewis Carroll, William Burroughs etc.

cresshead
09-26-2010, 03:24 AM
best way to get good ideas for unique stories?

11pm... eat some cheese based food like a pizza, cheese on toast or a cheese sandwich
no need at all for illegal drugs, alcahol or smoking anything at all...well maybe burning the toast!

note on cheese...proper mature cheese people none of that pre sliced nonsense!
red leicester
mature cheddar

i get some amazingly cool dreams when i eat cheese a couple of hours before ZZZ time!
...just have a pen n paper ready when you wake up and note it down!

stevecullum
09-26-2010, 03:45 AM
Somebody once said "there are no new ideas, they are the same ones told in a new way"

It's actually very hard to be completely original these days....

meshpig
09-26-2010, 04:00 AM
best way to get good ideas for unique stories?

11pm... eat some cheese based food like a pizza, cheese on toast or a cheese sandwich
no need at all for illegal drugs, alcahol or smoking anything at all...well maybe burning the toast!

note on cheese...proper mature cheese people none of that pre sliced nonsense!
red leicester
mature cheddar

i get some amazingly cool dreams when i eat cheese a couple of hours before ZZZ time!
...just have a pen n paper ready when you wake up and note it down!

That's the hormone (tryptophan) in milk which can or may affect Seratonin , the awake and sleep hormone... I find just a good swig of milk before bed will do but doesn't work for every one.

Red Leicester and Somerset Cheddar :thumbsup:

oliversimonnet
09-26-2010, 04:05 AM
That's the hormone (tryptophan) in milk which can or may affect Seratonin , the awake and sleep hormone... I find just a good swig of milk before bed will do but doesn't work for every one.

Red Leicester and Somerset Cheddar :thumbsup:

haha i will keep that in mind :)
does a nice mily cup of Tea count hehe :)

meshpig
09-26-2010, 04:26 AM
haha i will keep that in mind :)
does a nice mily cup of Tea count hehe :)

yeah, of course but if you have too much fluid before bb's... NIGHTMARES!!:)

cresshead
09-26-2010, 04:31 AM
i love NIGHTMARES!...awesome creative stuff...better than being awake sometimes!

...back on topic of creating characters...i've found zbrush to be so amazing...not need to worry about poly flow when your creating...just zsphere's and away you go...very free flowing for ideas..
same can apply for most sculpt apps...
once you have your form sculpted you then spend time retopologising it in your fave app.

oliversimonnet
09-26-2010, 04:36 AM
haha
i hate nightmares
last one i had scared me for life hahaha :)

cresshead
09-26-2010, 05:19 AM
just do something wacky!

when i was teaching 3d back in 2003-2005 students were asked to model a car of some sort...anything was okay....some struggled to create something from their imagination so i just threw up a quick car...4 wheel drive toilet...powered by curry!

see...simple!

oliversimonnet
09-26-2010, 05:22 AM
just do something wacky!

when i was teaching 3d back in 2003-2005 students were asked to model a car of some sort...anything was okay....some struggled to create something from their imagination so i just threw up a quick car...4 wheel drive toilet...powered by curry!

see...simple!

haha i am trying, its just not happening haha
haha sweet
i can just picture that haha :)

oliversimonnet
09-26-2010, 05:32 AM
ok
im going to give this a bash http://www.qmax-trading.com/images/18194_1.png
if i manage this
it will prob get my confidense back up :) (i hope)

oliversimonnet
09-26-2010, 06:57 AM
wow i couldent do it, got in there and then i duno
anyhow
i did manage to do this
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1062882#post1062882
i canot belive that that is the best work i have done in ages

meshpig
09-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEAkwzppObA&feature=related

I think you can more or less watch the whole thing bit by bit on youtube if you don't mind some of it being in Spanish...

oliversimonnet
09-26-2010, 07:10 AM
Try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEAkwzppObA&feature=related

I think you can more or less watch the whole thing bit by bit on youtube if you don't mind some of it being in Spanish...
cool tahnks for the link
haha no, just moved back from 8 years in spain so, ill be jus fine haha :)

meshpig
09-26-2010, 07:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaDo9PyCeLQ&feature=related... doesn't read as well though.

geo_n
09-26-2010, 07:27 AM
I can't remember who said it or where I read it - probably in one of the books I've read about writing - but coming up with ideas can be VERY easy. It all comes down to "WHAT IF..." You start with something that you want the story to be about. Let's say a 12 year old boy. Then start asking "what if." What if the boy was walking through the woods... and what if he fell into a hole that was covered with leaves and fallen branches... while he was trying get out, what if he hit something with his hand and a light turned on... startled, he started looking around the small "room" and saw a skeleton... and what if...

Seriously, you can go on for HOURS or DAYS using this method and can come up with dozens of stories. Some might be okay, some might be similar to other stories, but some you might actually like and want to add more. The "WHAT IF" idea has been a godsend and I use it ALL of the time. No longer do I have problems coming up with stories. I'm working on a 22 minute short targeted at kids and I've got a few story outlines already completed for future episodes - I want to create at least a dozen (or two) before I submit anything so I'll have them ready.

Story ideas... ANYONE can come up with interesting things!

Hmm..good advise. I think Ill write some stuff on paper no matter how wierd it is. Hopefully I can come up with some ideas. Been watching that old hippo and dog animations on youtube to get some ideas flowing. :)

oliversimonnet
09-28-2010, 06:32 AM
i would just like to say
that that milk/cheese idea works hahahaha :)
just incase anyone didnt belive it