PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard and PCI slots

gr49
09-20-2003, 09:05 PM
I am building a VT3 single system and it's been recommended that I build around the following:

ASUS P4C800 P4/800FSB motherboard with A/GBL/R/SA/1394
Pentium4 2.6 GHZ/800FSB processor RB with I gig of Ram. My question is with the new VT3 recommendations of a 32 bit and a 64 bit PCI slots, would the above system provide enough bandwidth to prevent any stuttering on recording and playback. The kicker is that the system above has only a 32 bit PCI slot.

I will be using the system for recording, editing, and playing back programs that use limited animations and special effects.
I would appreciate any advice. Thanks:

Brian Peterson
09-21-2003, 08:44 AM
I just re-built my T2 system with the Biostar P4TCA [URL=http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=p4tca+pro[/URL] which suffers from the same problem of having only pci slots. I must say that I'm very happy with it. I can do 4 streams of video at once without choking it. I did manage to choke it around 5, with video it plays 5 fine, with a jumpback it chokes. but for the most part I don't need anything beyond 3 at most times. So unless you have higher demands than I I'd say you're in good shape.

JesusLovesU
09-22-2003, 02:35 AM
It depends on what you're working on.

Uncompressed video = less processing power; more data bandwidth
dv = more processing power; less data bandwdth

I would go for a dual Xeon system with Intel E7505 chipset since I'm dealing with uncompressed video and most of the visual effects. AMD Opteron 24x is the best bet if VT3 had officially support it.