PDA

View Full Version : Need help with project for Compositing.

K-Dawg
09-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Hi guys.

Sorry, didn't have a better title. I'm working on a project for a slide show and have my LW setup so far done. I'm having a problem with the Compositing though.

First Off, my LW work isn't done yet. I rendered out a part of the anim to see if I can pull off what I'm planing to do.

Now, the thing is. I don't know how many Pictures I'll have in the end, but I'm sure it is way over 500 so I can't put the Pictures on the frame as a surface and render that out. Especially cause in Comp the picture has to come out of the frame and be "full screen" view and go back in the frame. Then turn to next Frame and so on.

I thought it will be way easier and flexible to render out in Layers and Passes, then slap a picture on the frame in Comp by tracking the frames Position. That way I only need one loop for the room and just select the frame loop I need for the Picture.

Now my problem is. In Fusion I can't track the Frame so that the picture follows the frame like it should. Does anyone have an idea how to pull this off, without having to render each and every picture in LW on with the Frame?

The added file is coded with XVid.

nickdigital
09-24-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm not that familiar with DF...yet. I would think that DF has basic motion tracking tools.

In AE you would use the tracking tools and use the Corner Pin effect. There's even a script for AE called TrackerViz that helps with motion tracking in AE. (Not trying to derail your thread by bringing up AE, just talking about how I would do this.)

It looks like reVisionFX has a plug-in that'll let you apply an image via a UV map from a 3d app. That might help.
http://revisionfx.com/products/remap/

I guess the grunt work LW way would be to isolate the picture in the frame and just render that out as a pass...it would render really quickly. But yes it would be tedious to setup.

K-Dawg
09-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Yes, DF has Tracking tools, but somehow my Tracks dont Stay to the boxes I put on there as tracking points. I can Track forward and backwards, but the Trackers don't stay on the trackingpoints. Thats my problem. I have no idea why.

I thought about that setup too nick, but the thing is with over 500 images that will take me way too long to get finished with. Especialy cause I will let them flay out later on.

No probs with the AE info. I don't have that, but any info the AE way could maybe help me with DF.

Greetz

nickdigital
09-24-2010, 11:52 AM
What are you using as tracking points? It's good to have very obvious noticeable markers. I would think straight up black and white markers would help.

In AE you can modify your sample and search radius. I would assume DF has the same type of workflow.

That plug-in from reVisionFX might help though you might have to do some hand adjusting as your image pans in and off frame.

K-Dawg
09-24-2010, 11:53 AM
The attachment is what it will be and when you pause it like in the middle of the anim, you can see what I'm using as Trackpoints.

K-Dawg
09-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Here. I rendered the frame so you can see what my trackpoints are.

nickdigital
09-24-2010, 11:57 AM
What if you make that larger center black area white? This way your black markers are against a larger white surface.

K-Dawg
09-24-2010, 12:01 PM
So you mean, the whole black area in white so I only have the 5 Black spots to track?

I can try that.

nickdigital
09-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Yeah, this way the tracker has very distinct black markers against a large white surface.

What rez is this meant for? D1? You could also try doing this with hi-rez animation...this'll give your trackers more pixels to sample.

Beyond that I'm out of ideas as I haven't used DF enough to help.

If you do this in AE I can help though. :D

K-Dawg
09-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Yeah it will be SD only.

Well the thing is, is this the proper way to do this, or is there a better solution where I don't have to map the pictures to the model and render each and every picture out.

This was just my approach, if there is a better and easier way then I'll o for that.

Thx for you help anyway :)

nickdigital
09-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Off the top of my head your way sounds doable. It's easier/faster to do things in comp than to have to re-render a bunch of elements out of another program.

Having to do this 500+ times is high volume though. There might be other programs that do what you want faster/more automated though. Maybe something you see on high-end broadcasts where they need to comp live footage onto something in realtime.

See if there's a demo of that reVisionFX plug-in. If that's just using the UV information then you don't even have to track anything. You wouldn't even have to worry that your track is accurate as it should just map the image onto your wall. But once you get your track done once you know you're good and then it's just a matter of swapping images out.

K-Dawg
09-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Yeah there is a demo, but with a watermark. I'll give it a try for sure.

Just got my Track on spot. Yeahaaa.

But, now I have to figure out how to compensate the track that goes offscreen. The track follows the anim now preety good, but as soon as the trackpoints leave the screen it whacks out. Now I haven't used Fusion for tracking very much. Any idea how to compensate that issue?

Greetz and thx for your help so far.

Btw. i found out my dashed lined searchfield was set too low. I gave it more space to search and that did the trick.

Well, afterwards it's really obvious why. The anim is just too fast for the "Standard" search field :D

nickdigital
09-24-2010, 12:36 PM
You could see if Fusion has the option to interpret the motion when it loses the track.

The other work around would be to just hand animate the lost motion. We do that a lot here. It can be quicker to just do it by hand instead of adjusting settings, re-run track, adjust setting, re-run track.

Your stuff moves pretty fast so you should be able to get decent results by hand where even if you're a little off the viewer can't tell. Put a little motion blur and you're golden. Plus this is D1 and that rez can be pretty forgiving in terms of "errors".

K-Dawg
09-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Sounds good. I'll give that a try. Good thing is, I can go back to LW and finish texturing, Lighting etc.

Thx a dozen man.

Btw. I counted the Images and now it's about 1150 images. The Slideshow must be finished before new years eve and there might be another 300-400 pictures to follow :D

Thats why I need the flexability.

Again, many thx. If I need any more help, I'll just post in here again XD

Greetz

nickdigital
09-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Good luck. The reVisionFX plug-in is probably worth trying out...it would suck to do all those images and then have to re-track if your client wants to change the animation/design of the room.

Hire an intern. :D

K-Dawg
09-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Heh heh true, but I'm not worried about that... I'm the client :D

nickdigital
09-24-2010, 02:40 PM
lol ok. :D