PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #97 - All is dust -

probiner
09-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #97 - All is dust

Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.
3. LightWave should be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

-All is dust-
Sometimes we have experiences that make us feel so small, so niggling, so humble. Be it a huge monument, a natural landscape, a big city, a wild animal exuberance, death, the simple key for a complex puzzle, or.... 42.
Or perhaps you read "dust" in the title of this challange and all you wanted to do is, dust itself... Go ahead.

Time Limit - 60 minutes
Deadline - Wednesday 22 September 2010, 2200 GMT

Iain
09-24-2010, 04:09 AM
Interesting topic probiner.
Hopefully I'll get some free time next week and get something done.

Glendalough
09-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #97 - All is dust

Deadline - Wednesday 22 September 2010, 2200 GMT[/COLOR]

Wow fast! It seems it was over before it began, standing here in the dust.

probiner
09-24-2010, 10:41 AM
-_- dang i copied paste from richard's text

Deadline is 29 of September.

If some moderator has the kindness of changing the first post, i thank you.

Interesting topic probiner.
Hopefully I'll get some free time next week and get something done.

To draw or model dust itself it's quite challenging i think

Iain
09-24-2010, 12:07 PM
-_- dang i copied paste from richard's text
If some moderator has the kindness of changing the first post, i thank you.

You should be able to edit it yourself, I think.

R.Feeney
09-25-2010, 02:24 PM
One of those pictures thats been sitting at the back of my mind for quite a while.
Standing Stones, the remains of a Stone Age society.

About 30 min modeling plus some FiberFx grass and a Skytracer2 sky.
A little post glow added too

oobievision
09-26-2010, 08:05 AM
great topic hope I can come up with something in 60min

stevenpalomino
09-26-2010, 10:49 PM
I hate to sound like everyone else.. but I'm going to throw it out there anyway haha.. This is an AWESOME topic and I'm hoping to get some time to do this later today! :)

R.Feeney
09-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Things were looking a bit quiet in here so I thought I would add a second one
About the hour on modeling. and about the same setting the pose and texturing.
My version of a sandworm from Dune... Sand=Dust? :D
It could do with looking a bit bigger.

COBRASoft
09-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Nice work Richard!

R.Feeney
09-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Cheers, I just noticed that the morph for the mouth has gone wrong in a coulpe of places on the outside of the "jaws". I must remember to fix that and re render.

ArtGoblin
09-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Decided to try for a Sandpeople head model... after an hour I had to stop tweaking... my god it's been a while since I did any humanoid or head modelling! I've gotten rusty as hell hehe. I'm going to texture this head and see what I can do with the polygons I managed to do :)

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2120/sandpersonuntextured01.jpg

R.Feeney
09-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Good work there ArtGoblin.
Dont forget to post the wires.

ArtGoblin
09-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks man! love your sandworm... think I'll have to watch the original movie one of these days. Sting was AWESOME as the harkonen bad-***.

Anyways... had a lot of fun shading this guy. Also had fun modelling him, but as you can see on the wires, this ain't no production model hehe. Guess it's time for me to model more often so I can keep in practice.. so I think I'll be doing some more entry's in the coming speed challanges.

ohhh.. BTW, here is the shaded and textured version of the Sandperson (think they are called Tusks(from the starwars universe) but for some reason this was what google gave me a lot of referances on when searching "sandpeople") I tried to comp him as if I was walking through a sand storm.

...Finished image
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1558/sandpersoncomped.jpg

...and wires
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/2529/sandpersoncompedwires.jpg

oliversimonnet
09-29-2010, 12:14 AM
very nice work so fare fellas :)

oobievision
09-29-2010, 06:56 AM
Things were looking a bit quiet in here so I thought I would add a second one
About the hour on modeling. and about the same setting the pose and texturing.
My version of a sandworm from Dune... Sand=Dust? :D
It could do with looking a bit bigger.

just add a tiny guy next to it to give it some sense of scale perhaps

oobievision
09-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Heres my entry 35min modeling 2 hours textures and deformations. figured the aftermath of a nuke would be fitting of dust.

ArtGoblin
09-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Nice "ground zero" there ! Like that you've put in the "shockwave" around the crater. just a suggestion... I'd add some fog or something, maybe also the make the BG mountains smaller or more far away. I'm suggesting this becouse It would give the whole scene more scale... without knowing much about nuke's I always imagine them on a HUGE scale, but then again, this might be a mini nuke :D

Are all the textures procedural? and I'm wondering... did you map them with a gradient mask based on the morph?

oobievision
09-29-2010, 10:12 AM
I used a procedural deformation on the crater and the plane then used sand and dirt textures for bump with some PS brushwork for the blast marks.

R.Feeney
10-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Nice work there oobievision & ArtGoblin

probiner if you are out there you have to pick a winner

universalpenman
10-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks man! love your sandworm... think I'll have to watch the original movie one of these days. Sting was AWESOME as the harkonen bad-***.

Anyways... had a lot of fun shading this guy. Also had fun modelling him, but as you can see on the wires, this ain't no production model hehe. Guess it's time for me to model more often so I can keep in practice.. so I think I'll be doing some more entry's in the coming speed challanges.

ohhh.. BTW, here is the shaded and textured version of the Sandperson (think they are called Tusks(from the starwars universe) but for some reason this was what google gave me a lot of referances on when searching "sandpeople") I tried to comp him as if I was walking through a sand storm.

...Finished image
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1558/sandpersoncomped.jpg

...and wires
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/2529/sandpersoncompedwires.jpg

its to much ask? how you get clean wiraframe? it is polygon coloring plz give me a tip! :)

ArtGoblin
10-05-2010, 04:28 PM
thanks R.Feeney :)

universalpenman: it's relatively easy to do these kind of wireframes, but they aren't straight forward to do in LW... I remember people going nuts over this technuiqe on the forums some years back, and I remember trying it out then... but then I forgot all about it and just ran into Proton's article in HDRI magazine (issue33) explaining it step by step. Thanks Proton and HDRI magazine for reminding me again of this awesome trick.

Now, to do these kind of wireframes you need to understand two things. In the Edges tab in the object properties panel, you have a number of options that you can check in order to make LW render lines of desired pixel width and color. The second thing you need to understand that there is just one of these options that you need to check. It's called "Surface Borders". What this does is that it will only render lines where edges of two different surfaces meet.

Now.... instead of manually and painstakingly assigning different surface names to all of your polygons so that no polygon will share an edge with a polygon with the same surface name. Go make use of Art's neat plugin called "Polygon Coloring"... it's free but you are free to donate if you're feeling extra rich or generous after using it :)

http://www.artssphere.com/plugins.php

universalpenman
10-28-2010, 08:39 PM
:P I been trying for a while polygon Colorin and its just pretty cool plug-in to me, the only thing I still have a problem is whit the antialising or resolution i have no clue how to solve this, here I post one of mi test, by the way I appreciate your help ArtGoblin, and I do have the same article by William Vaughan I just still having kind of bad results with the wireframe rendering, hope you have a better Idea what I can be doing wrong, thanks for everything man :)

Kuzey
10-29-2010, 06:00 AM
:P I been trying for a while polygon Colorin and its just pretty cool plug-in to me, the only thing I still have a problem is whit the antialising or resolution i have no clue how to solve this, here I post one of mi test, by the way I appreciate your help ArtGoblin, and I do have the same article by William Vaughan I just still having kind of bad results with the wireframe rendering, hope you have a better Idea what I can be doing wrong, thanks for everything man :)

I uploaded a sample scene you can use at my blog:

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-to-render-wireframes.html

That might help.

Kuzey

universalpenman
10-30-2010, 12:03 AM

That might help.

Kuzey

Its really helpful!! what I'm doing right now is checking your camera property's, render settings and so on, thanks a lot man I' been composing some wireframe pics with painter and my clay renders :( so far (here is one of them), but now I'm quitting those cheap trick's :P Thanks again!! :thumbsup:

oohh BTW I woul like to have one of your pics,the horse character from yogi's cartoon is really COOL :)

universalpenman
10-30-2010, 01:28 PM

That might help.

Kuzey

Hey man I' been working overnight :P to get this wireframe render with Polygon Colorin, its awsome the only thing is driving me crazy is that noise :S, but apart from that evrything is good :I_Love_Ne

ArtGoblin
10-30-2010, 05:38 PM
ummm... I'm going to guess that that noise is the result of to few samples somewhere... if you are using GI then you could try upping the samples there, if it's an occlusion shader for excemple I'd suggest to up it there and so on... but it look good, and a little noise can be cool sometimes... especially if it keeps you from waiting hours for the render to finish :)

probiner
12-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Nice work there oobievision & ArtGoblin

probiner if you are out there you have to pick a winner

I totally messed up in this one didn't I? :o

Mistakes in the opening post deadline, no work submission, i had no idea i was supposed to pick a winner (I though that was always your role Richard, i only followed a few challanges) and this was by the time i went completly OFF Lightwave 3D and foruns (2 months) to focus on other stuff.

I hope you guys forgive me for messing with the normal order of things while vanishing a same time :S

Cheers

R.Feeney
12-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Not to worry, these things happen :)