PDA

View Full Version : Unify Polys - best practice? Any tips?

starbase1
09-23-2010, 04:56 AM
I've got a model with quite a few duplicate polygons in it, and want to clean things up.

Thing is if I just use 'unify polys' under detail, I get rather odd results, for example some polygons seem to end up with normals pointing the wrong way.

Can anyone recommend a better way of using it than 'just click'?

A big part of the issue is that its a very high polygon model, and if i can't see where it has been removing polygons, it's going to be horrible and impractical to try and check it over properly.

Anyone know a way to highlight differences between 2 versions of a model, or otherwise identify where the overlaid polygons are?

Rabbitpenny
09-23-2010, 06:34 AM
If you mean--duplicates in the same mesh--can't you get some use from the stats panel for edges? Edges sharing >2polygons.

starbase1
09-23-2010, 06:46 AM
If you mean--duplicates in the same mesh--can't you get some use from the stats panel for edges? Edges sharing >2polygons.

Now that sounds like an interesting idea! While I can think of occasions where it would miss stuff, (for example if points are duplicated too, it's a different co-incident edge), that may well highlight areas of concern.

And a quick test shows that some areas have this issue.

Is there a way to go from selected edges, to selecting the polygons which use those edges?

And anyone got a more comprehensive method?

Thanks!
:thumbsup:

IRML
09-23-2010, 08:33 AM
look at edge stats and see if ">2 polygons is highlighted" that'll show you where errors are

edit - whoops that'll teach me to read the whole thread

if you go to the selection menu when you have these edges highlighted and click select polys it will convert the selection, also if you just have edges selected and you use 'hide unselected' it'll leave polys

starbase1
09-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Great, some stuff to try there, thanks!

Waves of light
11-14-2013, 03:14 AM
Old thread, but what a great bit of info. Came in handy today, so thanks.