PDA

View Full Version : Eartec Wireless

akscooter
09-22-2010, 03:59 PM
So looks like we are going with a nice wireless set up from Eartec for communication with the camera crew. I was just curious if anyone here has experience with them (of course you do!) and if you could answer a few questions regarding the 24G series?

My first question has to do with the headphones and the 3.5 mm jack. What is the pin configuration? I was told they use a single jack for both mic and speakers. If so, it must use a non-standard configuration right? does anyone have that?

Secondly, I'm wanting to connect the master radio into a field mixer, so the replay op can also talk to the cameras without the need for an additional radio, and if I want to put the commentators in the back ground very lightly. Will the mic input of the radio be able to amp the line level signal from the FX send of the mixer?

And lastly, I'd like an honest review from someone using these in a hockey arena. How do they sound from one end of the rink to the other? What's the REAL range of these things? How long do the batteries last/recharge?

Thanks!
Jon

kricher
09-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Jon, If it's the same system I have, the headset on the Master unit has a switch and an 1/8" jack on it. If you flip the switch one way, the headset works normally and you have intercom in both ears. If you flip the switch the other way, you can plug program audio into the 1/8" jack and listen to that on one side and still have intercom on the other side. I'm not sure how it is possible to inject program audio into the intercom itself. The only capability is to inject audio into the headset. As far as range and performance, it seems to work pretty good as long as you're "line-of-sight" or nearly line-of-sight. A Hockey arena should be OK.

akscooter
10-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Eartec was nice enough to send me their 4 conductor pin out for the 24G wireless. I was able to snip an extra 4 conductor male plug, then into a box with two 1/8" balanced jacks. Behind the scenes I broke out the mic to a standard mic config to one jack, and did the same for the headphones, jumping tip to ring so audio is in both headsets.

I took the headphone jack and ran it into a channel on my field mixer. The Mon send on the mixer goes to the mic jack of the breakout box.

In the original config, if a remote talks to the master, none of the other remotes can hear the speaking remote. This can lead to stepping and cross talk.

In this config, I can pipe the channel on the mixer into the mon send, when a remote speaks, not only can the other remotes hear it, but the speaker can hear them self. If they can hear the others, it decreases the chances of stepping on someone who is already talking. In essence, cheating the sort of full duplex into mostly full duplex.

I can also pipe a small amount of the tallents into the radios now as background noise, allowing them to assist in shooting what is being talked about.

We'll see how it all comes together Friday, the first home game with all the new gear.

Jon

OnlineRender
10-06-2010, 02:22 PM
We'll see how it all comes together Friday, the first home game with all the new gear.

Jon

:thumbsup: goodluck .