PDA

View Full Version : which is better bone rigs

lreyes
09-21-2010, 02:58 PM
I have several video tutorials from Lightwave and other, and there seem to be different ways to rig a character. One way is to join all the bones together and another is use separate bones for the legs, and seperated bones for the torso.

Ik boost works better with all bones connected, but when it comes to the walk cycle the Ik without the boost works better for walking.

Which would be the best way to go, or did I answer my own question.

I just like to use the best rig for walking.

nickdigital
09-21-2010, 03:19 PM
You should keep the bones together if you're gonna use IK.

Are you sure the bones are separated? The view just might be hiding some of the bones that are connected.

lino.grandi
09-22-2010, 04:01 AM
Bones should be parented, not necessarly connected to make IK work.

Castius
09-22-2010, 05:47 PM
All of LW's IK is item independent. It doesn't matter if it's bones or nulls or even lights and cameras. It's all the same to LW's IK.

RebelHill
09-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Im not entirely sure what it is you mean by all together or separated.

Things need to be parented together in a hierarchy for any of it work at all, no matter how you're rigging.

Unless you mean having those "joiner" bones that bridge the gap between say the spine, and shoulders, and so on... in which case, there's absolutely no difference... because the visual representation of beons being "connected" doesnt really mean anything... all that matters is the hierarchy.

meshpig
09-24-2010, 03:07 AM
You could purchase http://rebelhill.net/html/rhiggit except it seems there's no one at the helm there. I bought it 2 days ago and haven't received any seller's confirmation yet... Not pissed off just used up the demo:devil:

meshpig
09-24-2010, 03:52 AM
He'll get to ya. He's VERY good about getting out the product quickly! Probably just an oversight :thumbsup:

Thanks! All done:thumbsup: